Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel S2 exam?
    Very hard
    14.71%
    Hard
    33.57%
    Normal
    29.72%
    Easy
    15.42%
    Very easy
    6.59%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    is there a 2016 ial for s2?

ReputationRep:
    Help please
    Question 8c
    Thank you
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464609010.799281.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  101.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Help please
    Question 8c
    Thank you
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464609010.799281.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  101.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What have you tried?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    is there a 2016 ial for s2?
    Yes. It was the paper I sat in January. (71 for an A* lol)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yes. It was the paper I sat in January. (71 for an A* lol)
    easy paper then?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a link for the Jan 16 IAL S2 mark scheme??

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else also doing fp3 on the same day? Which exam are you going for first? I'm not sure myself yet, S2 is easier so after doing well in it I'd have the peace of mind and concentrate more easily on FP3. On the other hand FP3 requires more focus and lots of processing power so it would also be a good choice to start off with it...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by John Fluffy Bunny)
    Is anyone else also doing fp3 on the same day? Which exam are you going for first? I'm not sure myself yet, S2 is easier so after doing well in it I'd have the peace of mind and concentrate more easily on FP3. On the other hand FP3 requires more focus and lots of processing power so it would also be a good choice to start off with it...
    I had two sets of exams that had to be sat in one sitting - FP2 and M1, and S4 and D1. I guess the most similar example to your situation would be the FP2/M1 combination - I sat M1 first and did really well in it - it had all of my attention and I didn't make any mistakes (if I did, I picked up on them while double checking answers and it was fine). I had a 5-10 minute break before starting FP2 and I felt a bit knackered to be honest and things didn't go as well as they should have .

I think, if your S2 goes to AS FM or A-level maths instead of A2 FM then it's probably worth doing FP3 first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I had two sets of exams that had to be sat in one sitting - FP2 and M1, and S4 and D1. I guess the most similar example to your situation would be the FP2/M1 combination - I sat M1 first and did really well in it - it had all of my attention and I didn't make any mistakes (if I did, I picked up on them while double checking answers and it was fine). I had a 5-10 minute break before starting FP2 and I felt a bit knackered to be honest and things didn't go as well as they should have .

I think, if your S2 goes to AS FM or A-level maths instead of A2 FM then it's probably worth doing FP3 first.
    They both go to A2 further maths, you've got a point though I can be a little bit knackered and still successfully push through S2 as its not as mentally demanding. Will make sure to double check my working for errors though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Fluffy Bunny)
    Well i'm resitting s2, (76 ums last year) and i'm doing s2 first. i didn't get a say in it though.

ReputationRep:
    Please can anyone explain how to do exercise c question 4c https://e65fdd8e284b1b30364eb57e5b56...ndBTHM/CH4.pdf Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by economicss)
    Please can anyone explain how to do exercise c question 4c https://e65fdd8e284b1b30364eb57e5b56...ndBTHM/CH4.pdf Thanks
    Consider the longer length as well. For the shorter length of string to be less than or equal to 8 cm, how long does the longer piece of string have to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Consider the longer length as well. For the shorter length of string to be less than or equal to 8 cm, how long does the longer piece of string have to be?
    It would have to be greater than or equal to 12cm? What formula would I use to work out this probability please? Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It would have to be greater than or equal to 12cm? What formula would I use to work out this probability please? Thanks
    The probability is the area of the rectangle of the pdf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    The probability is the area of the rectangle of the pdf.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Please could anyone explain exercise F question 9d https://e65fdd8e284b1b30364eb57e5b56...ndBTHM/CH2.pdf I really can't understand the calculation on solutions bank, thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Please could anyone explain exercise F question 9d https://e65fdd8e284b1b30364eb57e5b56...ndBTHM/CH2.pdf I really can't understand the calculation on solutions bank, thanks
    P(A | B) = \frac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys can anyone please help?

Name:  s2help.PNG
Views: 300
Size:  132.5 KB

I have gotten as far as 9X + 3X^2 > 0
    But am stuck on how the answer is 1/3
    Please help!! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Up to which point do you understand?

It starts with E(R) = E(aX^2 + bX) = aE(X^2) + bE(X) using laws of expectation.
    Hey I thought the rule was aE(X) + b ?
    Could you please tell me how you've got aE(x^2) and bE(X) instead?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by keres)
    Hey I thought the rule was aE(X) + b ?
    Could you please tell me how you've got aE(x^2) and bE(X) instead?
    Expectation of a sum is the sum of the expectations.

E(aX + b) = E(aX) +E(b) = aE(x) + b, using linearity of expectation and that E(constant) = constant.

Same applies to E(aX^2 + bX). It doesn't turn into aE(X) + b, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.