Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Social experiment shows leftist women's hypocrisy on sharing bathrooms with trans men watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Feminine and Masculine traits are also the product of DNA and genetics, they are not just 'made up' by society. Men and Women are very different in terms of personality and brain chemistry, that is scientific fact. Deal with it.
    100% true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Feminine and Masculine traits are also the product of DNA and genetics, they are not just 'made up' by society. Men and Women are very different in terms of personality and brain chemistry, that is scientific fact. Deal with it.
    This is true, but the big problem in the West is that we have progressives in the universities that systematically fight the idea of biological influences for political/ideological reasons, hence people like the one I'm debating below.
    That their egalitarianism and social constructivism is incompatible with some of their own claims, like I have shown before, is something that is always worth pointing out.

(Original post by chocoholic_x)
    What is your problem with "leftists". I've made no mention to politics or my personal political views, or whether it subscribes to left-wing or right-wing values (beyond simply the common sense notion of accepting all people). I've just engaged in philosophical and sociological discussion. You keep randomly throwing the word "left" in there as if it will make your point more valid?
    "Accepting all people" is not common sense. It is an ideological, progressive standpoint. That doesn't belong in science.

Hey, you just totally ignored my really interesting side-track about research into colour. It's like you're not interested in the furthering of scientific knowledge in human behaviour. Which, given, you tout "scientific motivations" (as if you've provided any yourself), is a bit disappointing.

There was nothing to comment on as you didn't show any data to comment on. I am also suspicious of "scientists" that base studies on ideas like social constructivism in the first place.

Not a social construct? Everything which can be derived from formal logic and maths.
    Then race is not a social construct.

Twisting my words again. Who said anything about downplaying the role of genetic influences? It's basically a given. It's understood, generally, that our genes have an effect on who we are. I don't think many people would debate that. What many people do debate is the power of social influences. As we are.

No, it is not a "given". In fact, the standard in the academic world is to downplay genetics and to promote environment. If you were to go by what's taught at the universities and media, genetic influences would account to almost nothing. That this doesn't make any sense with what people experience everyday in real life is another story.

Also, "egalitarian", that's another one. My understanding of egalitarian is the belief in equality. Is that not something you subscribe to...?
    This is not a matter of belief. It is a matter of scientific facts. There is simply no equality. Equality is a politically constructed myth. What there are, are differences between sexes, races, individuals.
    It's always easier to be demagogic for a politician, scientist or anybody who wants a public position. It's easier to claim everybody is the same- or be called racist, sexist, etc. I happen to only care about the truth and consider egalitarianism as quasi religious doctrine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plstudent)
    I bet they have twitter, instagram and facebook accounts where they whine about all "transphobes", just like they whine about "racists" and vote for more immigration while sending their children to the whitest school possible.

Fugly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    It's all in your head.

ReputationRep:
    You know Joey Salads is well known for faking his videos, right?

Even if this was a legit social experiment (which it isn't), 5 random women on their way to the toilet is hardly a convincing sample size to base your assertion on.

ReputationRep:
    If you look carefully, he waits until a woman goes into the bathroom before he goes in, to make sure he is being noticed. Maybe the circumstances were different being in a laud nightclub and drunk.
    But does that prove that the video isn't fake? Is there proof it's real? The woman at the end was laughing and every women apart from one had the same screaming reaction.

ReputationRep:
    Females are usually associated sympathetic and open mindedness.
    Its the fear of being labeled a bigot that keeps people in line.
    Guys don't have to worry about women sharing the bathroom because they can defend themselves. A woman is pretty much defenseless against a sex offender in a dress. Men using the women's bathroom is kind of a big deal. When some women worry for their safety, its bigotry and "transpobic", and acting plain silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omen96)
    Sex is biological, you can't dispute that, it's rooted in the DNA.
    Sex is biological, but it isn't nearly is cleanly split into male and female as people think.

For example, people often tend to think of it in the simplistic chromosome sense - men have XY, women have XX. But it's not that simple. Occasionally you get men with XX or women with XY. Occasionally you get people who have XXY, or even just one X. Between 0.1% and 0.2% of people have some sort of biological situation like this, and are considered intersex. That may not sound like a lot, but it equates to about 100,000 intersex people in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Sex is biological, but it isn't nearly is cleanly split into male and female as people think.

For example, people often tend to think of it in the simplistic chromosome sense - men have XY, women have XX. But it's not that simple. Occasionally you get men with XX or women with XY. Occasionally you get people who have XXY, or even just one X. Between 0.1% and 0.2% of people have some sort of biological situation like this, and are considered intersex. That may not sound like a lot, but it equates to about 100,000 intersex people in the UK.
    XY women typically don't produce gonads and are considered a medical concern. I would say sex is pretty clearly split: male or female with aberrations approximating either of those forms.
    There are genetic disorders/aberrations of all sorts, it doesn't mean that there is not a typical human.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    Blatantly looks like a man dressed up as a woman (facial hair, obvious wig as the hair underneath is visible) rather than an actual trans woman (get it right OP). Should send actual trans women in to see if the results are the same.
    My thoughts exactly, 'looking' like a transgender person is hardly a reliable experiment, when it's blatently obvious he's a man in a wig, it's not a fair experiment. Trans men and women often go through a number of procedures and hormone therapy and the idea that it's always obvious a person is trans isn't accurate. One response to the video:

Spoiler:
    Show
    And she's a trans woman, hardly a man with a beard in a wig, how can you expect her to use the men's bathroom?

And then the ironic thing is laws like the North Carolina bathroom law means that it is now law that these people must use the women's bathroom -

I wonder whether the women who support the law realise they're supporting a law where they now have to share a bathroom with these guys, would they really be happy seeing these men in their bathroom? That's the problem with the experiment and the law, people seem to have this stereotype in their mind that trans women are just men in wigs and trans men are just women with short hair and wearing trousers, which is often not the case at all. I certainly accept there are two sides to the argument and I see the point Joey Salad is trying to make, but it still is clearly a problematic argument and not fair on genuine trans people.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)

Wow, this person must have had quite the gifted surgeon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    :laugh::laugh:

------------

If I was in that situation, I would just assume the guy is being a troll and react in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    "Accepting all people" is not common sense. It is an ideological, progressive standpoint. That doesn't belong in science.
    I didn't say it was a scientific standpoint, I said it was a political standpoint. You really need to learn to read. Or were you equating "common sense" with science? Because that is also flawed. Common sense merely refers to views which are common to most people. The idea that no matter what colour or creed, people should have equal rights, is quite a common viewpoint. Therefore, common sense.

There was nothing to comment on as you didn't show any data to comment on. I am also suspicious of "scientists" that base studies on ideas like social constructivism in the first place.
    How do you know what the basis of the study was - you didn't even ask for a reference? Making presumptions like that without any evidence is quite unscientific.

Then race is not a social construct.
    Hang on, I said anything that which can be derived from formal logic and maths is not a social construct. And from that, you are saying race is not a social construct? I'd love to see you try and derive race from formal logic and maths alone.

No, it is not a "given". In fact, the standard in the academic world is to downplay genetics and to promote environment. If you were to go by what's taught at the universities and media, genetic influences would account to almost nothing. That this doesn't make any sense with what people experience everyday in real life is another story.
    My experience of university is obviously quite different to yours then. Genetic influences are heavily covered in my course. It's pretty much agreed upon among most psychologists that there is likely to be a 50/50 influence of genetics and environment on the development of an individual. I don't see how that amounts to "almost nothing".

This is not a matter of belief. It is a matter of scientific facts. There is simply no equality. Equality is a politically constructed myth. What there are, are differences between sexes, races, individuals.
    It's always easier to be demagogic for a politician, scientist or anybody who wants a public position. It's easier to claim everybody is the same- or be called racist, sexist, etc. I happen to only care about the truth and consider egalitarianism as quasi religious doctrine.
    "Scientific facts", a term that is oft touted by those who have little understanding of the literature and yet still holds great power over others who are equally ignorant. There is no such thing as a "scientific fact", I'm afraid, just hypotheses that are yet to be falsified. The scientific method is characterised by persistent cynicism and a reluctance to settle on the "scientific facts" you cling on to. That is what drives progress.

The literature on gender differences is messy and generally reflective of the views of the time. There is no consensus. And the absence of consensus leaves the public up to making up their own opinions, as you have done.

ReputationRep:
    So, if there is a genetic component to it, how can you claim gender is unrelated to biology and merely a social construct?
    i don't think anyone is claiming gender isn't related to biology lol. i've never even heard of someone using a definition of 'social construct' that entails something as bizarre as 'not related to biology at all'!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.