Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

mean things you were told when you decided you wanted to go to uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    "You'll never stand a chance at world class universities with a C at AS level"
    Better get your uni shirt and walk past them :mmm: Watch them go :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Back then when nothing made sense I got told I won't go to uni :rofl: but I feel like I'm on track

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    'Don't go there Cavy there is nightlife there...

like people actually go outside and stuff, i can't picture you there :console:'

Waow......

(Original post by such_a_lady)
    I can't remember anything super mean right now but a LOT of people seemed very invested in trying to talk me out of going to Oxford. It seemed to be more of a personal thing for them rather than about me.

Also one of my teachers tried to give me tips to "get in more easily" but they just came across as patronising. Things like "apply to a smaller newer college" (nothing against those colleges but the assumption was that I wouldn't make it into Magdalen or that I'd hate it) and "don't apply for German and Spanish - just apply for German and ask to switch when you get in, as you might not get in for Spanish" (do NOT do this - my German tutor laughed sarcastically when I mentioned this, plus my Spanish admissions process was absolutely fine). When I do access work I try and break down these myths that well-meaning teachers believe, as they don't help!
    That avi on point :yy:

"you'll fail during application process"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Better get your uni shirt and walk past them :mmm: Watch them go :eek:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Not so much what people have said, but their change in attitude when they found out I wanted to do a media subject (specifically, television production). Everyone assumed I was going to do (and should do) something "more academic" because of my GCSE and AS grades.
    It's like I'm being negatively compared to other relatives who've done more academic courses or had gone to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    I've been accused of being all talk, no action. In a sense, it was deserved.

I now go by a philosophy of going through with everything I want to do.
    Sounds fairly straight forward, but it's surprising how many people say they want to do something, but never do it.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I decided uni was for me when I was 15 and my relatives told me how much they loved it when I told the careers advisor she said "you have no chance of going to uni you won't even get in to collage. (I have degree now)

one of my relatives also told me i don't expect you to pass your first year like a week before I went.

Have you ever been told anything like this?
    I hate hate hate comments like that. The people that say them are awful. What's the point? It serves no purpose but to sow the seed of doubt and is usually driven by their own insecurities.

There's a term for this kind of person and it is "mood hoover" because they say stuff that sucks the happy vibes out of everything. Best to ignore and steer clear IMO.

ReputationRep:
    My mum and I both got told when I was in YEAR TWO that I'd never make it in the mainstream education system, and that I'd never get a Maths GCSE. Now I'm sat here with an A in Maths GCSE, ABC at AS level and a conditional place at Cardiff University. I am very much looking forward to Results Day when I can finally say 'screw you' to all those who said I wouldn't make it

ReputationRep:
    I was always told I was smart enough, but I didn't want to go to uni. I hated school and the thought of more education was soul destroying, I went to college but dropped out after 6 weeks. Found a job that managed to reignite my love of science, studied, but my mental health took a massive hit and it's only in the last few months I feel like a functioning person. Managed to get a place at uni, you'd have thought people would be pleased, right? WRONG! "Well if you insist on spending all that money you have better pray that you get a good job at the end of it" and "you should do an apprenticeship instead" were a couple of memorable comments. I'm studying biomedical science and to get the sort of job I want I need a minimum MSc, preferably a PhD; funnily enough I don't think taking a (non-existent) apprenticeship will get me to where I need to be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My course leader told me, before I applied for the uni, that she didn't think that the course would suit me.

I'm coming out with a first. And I rub it in her face whenever I can.

ReputationRep:
    The C was in a language. I'm doing engineering w/ language minor at uni in the us
    What did you end up with overall?

ReputationRep:
    I was told with my AS grades i'd be lucky to even get an interview at my chosen universities.
    I was also told that, upon handing in my personal statement for feedback, that it was highly likely that I'd gotten "help" on it, and if that wasn't the case it could be plagiarised and that they should "input a few lines just to make sure". It wasn't even directly sent to me - this "feedback" was sent in an email with me in the CC

Fast forwards a few months and i'm on the unconditional offer scheme @ Birmingham.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    All quoted by the same person. i won't include her job because I'm sure she'll find me somehow LOL..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
    What did you end up with overall?
    Oh I haven't finished my A2s yet

ReputationRep:
    Oh I haven't finished my A2s yet
    Well good luck then, given your description of languages I assume you're getting A/Bs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9998)
    My whole life I've wanted to go to Cambridge but my teachers and parents never believed in me and thought I wasn't smart enough to get in. My teachers were constantly attacking me, telling me I have no chance getting into university, let alone Cambridge if I keep misbehaving and missing work. Results day came and I got DDEE in media, general studies, critical thinking and hair and beauty respectively , WHO'S LAUGHING NOW ?
    I hope that you are joking...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
    Well good luck then, given your description of languages I assume you're getting A/Bs
    A*/As Thanks!!!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I was told in Year 12 that with my AS grades, "you shouldn't even bother applying to universities asking for AAB or above because realistically speaking, you wouldn't ever get in".

Here I am, 2 years later, currently at uni and now transferring and re-applying to other universities having obtained several offers from institutions who all typically ask for applicants to have AAB at an A level standard or equivalent but through hard work, I've shown them what I can do

ReputationRep:
    Wow, some of the posts here hurt to read mostly the ones from teachers and career advisors, which just shows more of their own ignorance than a student's potential to re-focus and be successful on anything. Teachers can be such losers sometimes.

I am 42 and due to my background and country of birth I wasn't able to continue uni. I started working early to provide for me and my family nevertheless I did well in IT. I confess that not having a degree is a constant personal secret nag and sometimes a handicap (more in my head really) when applying for jobs. I also feel that a degree would back me up when defending my points across in a scientific way.

My area of IT has to do with user research and usability. In the recent 3-5 years entrance to my area, level and role has been facilitated thanks to very good training academies set up to train people in 10 weeks. In a nutshell, it is much easier to find people claiming to do the same thing I do than when I started 18 years ago. I am pretty good in what I do but competition is claustrophobically high now and my area is becoming more commoditised with people from overlapping areas such as visual design and business analysis switching to user experience and research.

I want to start a BSc in Psychology (Derby) to develop new skills in research and go one level above from young professionals entering my area and my partner keeps telling me that for my age the whole thing would be useless. The sarcasm of being told that the last she read in a newspaper, students were leaving Uni with a £40k debt is at times painful not for being truthful but because it just seems a cheap way to demotivate me, since I don't need to take a student loan and am planning to follow the 6 year route to accommodate work and studies.

Ok, on the practical side, transform the negativity into part of your motivational energy, set in your head that the secondary drive to carry on with whatever you want to study is to prove people wrong. Needless to say that this is your secondary drive, as the primary drive is to know you can do whatever you apply yourself to and you are doing that for something that you know it is important for you. Another thing, keep your aim set for the right thing: studying psychology is my aim, studying psychology at Harvard or Oxbridge is not an aim, it is vanity but damnit try it without getting muddled up between where and what.

On your graduation invites and speech, don't forget to thank complete strangers for "the support and trust given when others went out of their way to demotivate you". Biting back without drama at a subtle and nuanced way helps with your healing process whilst it reminds people they were not only wrong but total [fill in the space with the deserved adjective].

"Dolor hic tibi proderit olim." "One day this pain will be useful to you."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I decided uni was for me when I was 15 and my relatives told me how much they loved it when I told the careers advisor she said "you have no chance of going to uni you won't even get in to collage. (I have degree now)

one of my relatives also told me i don't expect you to pass your first year like a week before I went.

Have you ever been told anything like this?
    I was told by an Aberdeen Uni rep I had absolutely zero chance of getting an offer from them for medicine.

Just firmed my Medicine offer from them a few weeks ago.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.