Do both sides respect us and not Egypt?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only if Britain recognises Palestine as a state
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Gladiator12345)
    Only if Britain recognises Palestine as a state
    I somehow doubt the palestinians will suddenly love us because of a token gesture, particularly with British arms deals with Israel

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    So you agree that the illegal occupation of Palestinian land by Israel is wrong?
    First, there is no such thing as Palestinian land, as well as there is no Arab or Jewish land. As there is no formal borders and full recognized Palestinian state, your use of "Palestinian land" is just an emotion.
    Second, military occupation of highly hostile population is perfectly legal.
    This all sounds like you're already biased in favour of Israel and slightly Islamophobic/sectarian.
    The same I can say about you: it sounds like you're already biased in favour of Palestinians and slightly anti-Semitic.
    The only important thing in public debates are arguments. You used emotional "self-described Jewish state" and I used UN resolution. You used biased B'Tselem source and I used Britannica.
    So, who is biased? :cool:
    I'll ask you this and only this:

Do you not agree that Palestine has a right to exist and that these illegal settlements should be removed?
    Irrelevant. Arab-Israeli conflict was not and is not about Palestinians, but about Jewish state. Until Israel as a Jewish state is not recognized by Arabs (and they never will), until Arabs use any means to destroy and delegitimize Israel (and they always will), no hostile independent Arab state will be created in close proximity to vital Israeli centers. Millions of bills and resolutions will not help, aggressors and terrorists will be defeated and punished.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by admonit)
    First, there is no such thing as Palestinian land, as well as there is no Arab or Jewish land. As there is no formal borders and full recognized Palestinian state, your use of "Palestinian land" is just an emotion.
    So what is Gaza and the West Bank then? Israel does not occupy them, and they are recognised by everyone as the Palestinian territories, even if some refuse to recognise that they are under the control of the PNA.

As envisioned in the Oslo Accords, Israel allowed the PLO to establish interim administrative institutions in the Palestinian territories, which came in the form of the PNA.

Second, military occupation of highly hostile population is perfectly legal.
    That only applies in times of war and even so, that is not the case.

The international community considers the establishment of Israeli settlements in the Israeli-occupied territories illegal under international law. Israel maintains that they are consistent with international law because it does not agree that the Fourth Geneva Convention applies to the territories occupied in the 1967 Six-Day War. The United Nations Security Council, the United Nations General Assembly, the International Committee of the Red Cross, the International Court of Justice and the High Contracting Parties to the Convention have all affirmed that the Fourth Geneva Convention does apply.

The only important thing in public debates are arguments. You used emotional "self-described Jewish state" and I used UN resolution. You used biased B'Tselem source and I used Britannica.
    So, who is biased? :cool:
    I used that term as is used by various sources including the Guardian.

Irrelevant. Arab-Israeli conflict was not and is not about Palestinians, but about Jewish state. Until Israel as a Jewish state is not recognized by Arabs (and they never will), until Arabs use any means to destroy and delegitimize Israel (and they always will), no hostile independent Arab state will be created in close proximity to vital Israeli centers.
    It is not irrelevant.
    That is the most insane statement I have ever seen.

It is about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, where little or no foreign Arab countries' forces have attacked Israel since the previous century. The only thing that remains to end this is to make peace with the Palestinian people and end their occupation and oppression, and instead of voting in an Arab-hating, Donald Trump-like bigot like Netanyahu, you vote in a sensible candidate ready to make peace.

During the negotiations of the Oslo Accords in 1993, the PLO recognised Israel's right to exist, and Israel recognised the PLO as representative of the Palestinian people. Between 1993 and 1998, the PLO made commitments to change the provisions of its Palestinian National Charter that are inconsistent with the aim for a two-state solution and peaceful coexistence with Israel. As envisioned in the Oslo Accords, Israel allowed the PLO to establish interim administrative institutions in the Palestinian territories, which came in the form of the PNA.
    This was previously stalled until 2014 because of Hamas and Fatah, but Netanyahu still refuses to make any further negotiations.

Millions of bills and resolutions will not help, aggressors and terrorists will be defeated and punished.
    So instead of addressing the problem and negotiating for a peaceful settlement, you intend to continue terrorising and oppressing Palestinians and expect the resistance to stop. These people will not be forced into submission.

The same I can say about you: it sounds like you're already biased in favour of Palestinians and slightly anti-Semitic.
    If you called me anti-Semitic, I cannot talk to you. The one thing that I cannot stand is the throwing around of that word at anyone who is critical of Israeli actions.
    I might be slightly biased towards Palestinians but that's because I and many others like me understand what it is like to be occupied, oppressed and ignored.

ReputationRep:

If you called me anti-Semitic, I cannot talk to you. The one thing that I cannot stand is the throwing around of that word at anyone who is critical of Israeli actions.
    Well, you did throw around the good old 'islamaphobe' at them, seemingly for criticising Palestine's actions.

ReputationRep:
    Not a chance, it doesn't solve anything

ReputationRep:
    but Netanyahu still refuses to make any further negotiations.
    Ops!
    “Israel adheres to its position that the best way to resolve the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians is direct, bilateral negotiations,” the statement read. “Israel is ready to begin them immediately without preconditions."
    Thursday 28 April 2016 15.38 BST
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-palestinians
    Guardian!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    Well, you did throw around the good old 'islamaphobe' at them, seemingly for criticising Palestine's actions.
    No, that's not why I 'threw it around'.

I 'threw it around' because she/he says things like " And Arabs were deservedly punished for all wars and terror against Israel.
    It's up to Jewish people to decide who is and who is not Jewish. Other peoples have no voice in that."

Along with many other points and general attitude.

Ops!
    “Israel adheres to its position that the best way to resolve the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians is direct, bilateral negotiations,” the statement read. “Israel is ready to begin them immediately without preconditions."
    Thursday 28 April 2016 15.38 BST
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...e-palestinians
    Guardian!
    Oh nice, ignore my valid points and just add in a news article not 48 hours old.

ReputationRep:
    Oh nice, ignore my valid points and just add in a news article not 48 hours old.
    You sound like you provided proof that "Netanyahu still refuses to make any further negotiations". Also nice.:cool:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You sound like you provided proof that "Netanyahu still refuses to make any further negotiations". Also nice.:cool:
    A completely different point, but since you asked so nicely:

"Two days after a dramatic Israeli election that all but secured a fourth term for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli leader sat down with NBC News Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent (and host of “Andrea Mitchell Reports” on msnbc) Andrea Mitchell for his first post-election interview. Netanyahu addressed where he stands on a Palestinian statehood and the prospect of an Iran deal.

On his comment that there would be no Palestinian state on his watch

On the eve of the Israeli election, Netanyahu turned heads when he promised that if reelected, he would prevent a Palestinian state. “I think that anyone who moves to establish a Palestinian state, and evacuate areas, is giving radical Islam an area from which to attack the State of Israel,” Netanyahu said in an interview with the NRG news website, according to The Times of Israel."

And that is just one of many bigoted statements he has made.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    This provides no solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict as we don't have the power to create states in that region, and plus it has the potential to annoy the US and Israel who are our allies.

Whilst I feel very strongly that a two state solution is the only way forward, I don't think this will bring any benefit.
    I think THB summed it up perfectly.

DanE1998 - The Foreign Office would be more than happy to work with members of any party to fine a peaceful resolution to the current conflict, despite this bill not being the answer.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    I think THB summed it up perfectly.

DanE1998 - The Foreign Office would be more than happy to work with members of any party to fine a peaceful resolution to the current conflict, despite this bill not being the answer.
    I propose that a debate be called, outside of the legislative framework to assess the views of the house and how best to move forward
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    I propose that a debate be called, outside of the legislative framework to assess the views of the house and how best to move forward
    Hear, hear.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    Let us see how the bill pans out first.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Division! Clear the Lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.