Turn on thread page Beta

What motivates you for the gym ? watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    I have a question.

say i consumed fat only but eat below my tdee. will I gain fat?
    no

ReputationRep:
    Billy Elliot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    I have a question.

say i consumed fat only but eat below my tdee. will I gain fat?
    No, but you would probably die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puny Earthling)
    Am I able to ask where you got your workout routine, diet info, what routine you did, etc? Amazing progress.

I'm guessing my username pretty much gives away why I'm asking.
    I read a lot of articles and watched a lot of YouTube videos over the course of a few years. This was the routine I bought:

http://leanmusclesystem.com

It's not exactly cheap, I believe it's around £60, but me and a mate went halves on it though he didn't really use/follow it properly. It did help me a lot, but looking at it now I don't think the routine itself was anything special. I believe it was more the fact that I was following a routine, and one I had paid for, so I was more orthodox with my training and nutrition.

I got sent the PDF for the v2 of the routine but didn't like the look of it so didn't try it out.

I probably put on the most muscle mass over the period where I was following that routine, though I think my physique has improved the best over the last year or so whilst I've been doing my own workouts which I made myself. This is because even though I put on a solid amount of muscle, I don't think it was distributed as well as I would have liked and I still had a kids/teenagers body, but with considerably more muscle mass. I've grown into my physique recently with my body resembling more that of a mans now, rather than an adolescent. As a result I believe my proportions are better and so is my overall muscular development.

RE: a previous question on BF, I never really bulk up that much. I never bulk up to the point where I can't see my abs (when flexing of course) because I don't see the point. From my research and my own experience, I don't think it is necessary to put on all that excess fat for no reason. If you look at CG when he is in the prime of his bulk, I'd say that I would never go past that point.

My primary goal is aesthetics, and so I want to look good all year round. I'm slowly cutting down now with the goal being to see what my physique looks like at a single digit BF % and then to see how easy it is to maintain such leanness whilst trying to slowly bulk up. I don't tend to put on that much fat when I eat in a surplus, and I'm intrigued to see what results I get bulking using IF. I know it isn't optimal for bulking up, but I want to see how my body reacts and if it prevents me from putting on fat.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Whilst I can't disagree with JC and his methods, his own choice etc. I'd just like to point out that; single digit bf% isn't particularly healthy by any doctors standards and once you start dropping below 8-9% then you're getting into the realms of risking dropping your testosterone levels etc.

However, I do concede that many people do get excessively fat on a bulk and hence anyone bulking should be looking to put on an absolute max of a lb a week, more often than not 1/2 lb a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Whilst I can't disagree with JC and his methods, his own choice etc. I'd just like to point out that; single digit bf% isn't particularly healthy by any doctors standards and once you start dropping below 8-9% then you're getting into the realms of risking dropping your testosterone levels etc.

However, I do concede that many people do get excessively fat on a bulk and hence anyone bulking should be looking to put on an absolute max of a lb a week, more often than not 1/2 lb a week
    Of course, it isn't sustainable to be below 8% for a long period of time and its not healthy either. There are appropriate measures to take when it comes to sustaining a single digit BF%, in the region of 8-9%, and you can do so without dropping your T levels.

I should have probably put that in the post, though I'd imagine that anyone who is physically able to get down to such a body fat percentage would already have a certain level of knowledge with regards to the issue, barring someone with minimal muscle mass anyway who was just exceptionally lean.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by .JC.)
    Of course, it isn't sustainable to be below 8% for a long period of time and its not healthy either. There are appropriate measures to take when it comes to sustaining a single digit BF%, in the region of 8-9%, and you can do so without dropping your T levels.

I should have probably put that in the post, though I'd imagine that anyone who is physically able to get down to such a body fat percentage would already have a certain level of knowledge with regards to the issue, barring someone with minimal muscle mass anyway who was just exceptionally lean.
    Yeah man, no worries, I know you know the risks and how to deal with etc, but there's a lot of noobs that don't and might YOLO it. What's your training like atm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Yeah man, no worries, I know you know the risks and how to deal with etc, but there's a lot of noobs that don't and might YOLO it. What's your training like atm?
    Haha yeah I suppose. Takes a fair bit of will power to get down to such a number and stay there.

Training 3 days on, 1 day off. Chest/Biceps, Back/Triceps, Legs/Shoulders, Rest.

Focussing mainly on hypertrophy, so a 10-12 rep range for accessory movements and 6-8 rep range for compound movements. Since moving on from doing sets of 5 focussing on mainly strength (on compound) I've actually noticed I can do the same weights as I was, and even more now on some movements, at the slightly higher rep range. Overall I haven't lost any strength, technically it is increasing steadily on some exercises though I'm struggling to add to my squat/dumbbell bench press.

I try to keep rest periods fairly short, 60-120 seconds on compound movements and 30-60 seconds on accessories.

I enjoy training how I am at the minute, because it doesn't get 'boring'. For example, training shoulders and legs allows me to get somewhat a decent pump and feel good about myself, rather than dedicating a day solely to legs and not looking forward to it. I am also able to hit both body parts with high intensity, rather than being fatigued at the end of the workout e.g. training biceps after pre exhausting them whilst training back.

My energy levels in the gym have also been good. I've been trying to restrict caffeine consumption to my fasted periods, but more recently I've been having pre workout before each session (mid afternoon) and its improved them to a certain degree.

Can't wait until it's a little hotter so I can get myself a decent tan, because I usually get caught out with the old farmers tan and end up looking ridiculous with a vest on.

Wore shorts for the first time in a while the other day and damn my calves were underwhelming. They look good from certain angles, i.e. the inside of my leg. It's to do with the muscle insertions. My calves are long and the muscle in situated towards the inside, meaning they look developed there but from the outside they look pretty crap :lol:

What about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    When I know I'm in good shape, I feel good, so I suppose that's my motivation.

ReputationRep:
    A new playlist! Also, when I begin to notice the weight loss and people comment on it it motivates me to keep at it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.