The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IFoundWonderland
I genuinely find this view so silly.

People don't do a degree to necessarily lead them into a job. You do a degree because you enjoy learning your subject and to develop skills that make you employable?

Many people who work in law firms; banks; HR; IT etc have humanities degrees. Humanities teach you to analyse; to write eloquently; to explain and reason. To undermine the skills this teaches and the relevance of these skills in a business is foolish.

Law is not the only worthwhile humanities degree. Indeed, i was actually advised to not do a straight law degree by my school in favour for pursuing a conversion course after my undergraduate. I'm going to do an exciting degree that lets me do exactly what I want to do. If I fail to get a good job after this, it's not because of the degree I will have done, but a personal slip up in the strength of my academics or failure at interview etc.

In my limited experience, IT people have all had IT degrees or...none at all, however this also depends on how you define "IT"
Original post by CHEETS
Women are subconsciously 'nudged' towards low-paying, less time consuming, less intellectually challenging, 'feminine' welfare or caring type roles from an early age (playing hair and make-up, empty-headed youtube vloggers like Zoella, nurse or teacher barbies etc etc).

Men are similarly subconsciously pushed towards wanting high-paying high-achieving careers like science, engineering, finance etc.

Its just how our society functions at the moment. What it means is that there are plenty of people (both men and women, including myself) who find themselves stuck in a degree/ career path that is considered 'safe' and socially acceptable for their gender but they have no interest in.

The only person who pushed me in to IT was....me. My dad didn't even want me to go in to IT, and then he saw the pay and then was like "OK" But I'd still have done it any way, even if dad didn't approve.

I've always tinkered with stuff as a kid. I don't really think that is "subconscious" especially as I kept getting told off for it and I kept breaking stuff
Reply 62
Original post by The_Internet
The only person who pushed me in to IT was....me. My dad didn't even want me to go in to IT, and then he saw the pay and then was like "OK" But I'd still have done it any way, even if dad didn't approve.

I've always tinkered with stuff as a kid. I don't really think that is "subconscious" especially as I kept getting told off for it and I kept breaking stuff

Gosh, when did I say that this is true and a fact for every human alive. It happens on average.
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Because the vast majority of girls, deep down still expect to get into an LTR / marry a guy who is decently paid.

LTR means?
Original post by LaMandarine
My friend (male) studying Physics at home: So what did you take as a degree
Me: History and IR
Him: haha, you won't go anywhere paid with that (he generally hates all Humanities)
Me: How much do you earn for your research work?
Him: (equivalent of) £5 per hour (back home in Romania)
Me: earns £20 per hour, whilst still at university. :sexface:

With that being said, I do agree in part with your point. Women do indeed dominate the lowest paying postgraduate jobs, and it takes an average of 5 years more for them to repay their loans compared to men. I wouldn't wholly blame them for this, some degrees should simply not exist at university. As long as they will exist, you will keep finding oblivious students willing to keep the lecture room seats warm.

This is my assumption, but some of that 1/3 are probably considering having children before seriously taking a career. I'll consider having children before taking any diplomatic role. Probably a year or two after I graduate and have a decent paying job to have a stable financial base for a family. In the meantime I'll probably teach or research.

I also think the latter part of your argument was unnecessary and irrelevant to your original point.

Why are you comparing how much you earn atm living in UK compared to
how much he is earning back in Romania?

It would be a fairer comparison if you compare yourself to someone doing research in Physics AND living in UK.
Reply 65
Original post by CHEETS
What? Who conditions serial killers into thinking that murder is good. Who said free will doesn't exist?

It's just a fact that women are nudged towards 'traditionally female' roles and men are nudged into 'breadwinner' roles by society. Its fairly well documented phenomenon.

No one does but society is responsible for people's choices by your logic that would mean society is responsible for them.
Original post by Melancholy
If you put a male lion and a female lioness in an office building, the male lion would be thinking he wants to crush his opposition, collect as much money, and let his testosterone flow through his enormous muscley body, and roar. The lioness would probably not do this. She might show interest in the male lion but maybe not. She wants feeding and wants some nice cubs, but she might not be so driven. There are exceptions. The lion might want a piece of the lioness, sexually, I dunno. The lion would probably wear a tie.

Do you know what lionesses actually do? They go out and kill to feed her cubs while the lion waits at home, apparently "guarding their territory". When she comes back they mate and then he gets exhausted and lays in the sun to regain his energy.

True story.

LOL at how you got that all wrong! :colonhash:
Reply 67
Original post by joecphillips
No one does but society is responsible for people's choices by your logic that would mean society is responsible for them.

I think society conditioning of men and women into traditional gender roles is a pretty well documented fact.

It does not mean remotely what you are implying. No one projects traditional traits expected of a serial killer onto people.
Reply 68
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
LTR means?

Long
term
relationship
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Because the vast majority of girls, deep down still expect to get into an LTR / marry a guy who is decently paid.

Oh, I get it now.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Do you know what lionesses actually do? They go out and kill to feed her cubs while the lion waits at home, apparently "guarding their territory". When she comes back they mate and then he gets exhausted and lays in the sun to regain his energy.

True story.

Male Lions do sometimes hunt.
Male lions have to protect their pride from rival lone males who if they beat the existing male lion who leads the pride,will kill all the cubs of the females so he can mate with them and remove any future threat .
You may not think this is important but remember infanticide is common among many species,so this makes sense.
Male lions also do protect the the pride from other threats,such as their mortal enemy the brown hyena.
Lions have relatively small hearts and lungs,their stamina is not that good,that is one of the reasons they live in prides and ambush /sneak up on their prey,teamwork and stealth overcompensate for this.
Original post by LaMandarine
My friend (male) studying Physics at home: So what did you take as a degree
Me: History and IR
Him: haha, you won't go anywhere paid with that (he generally hates all Humanities)
Me: How much do you earn for your research work?
Him: (equivalent of) £5 per hour (back home in Romania)
Me: earns £20 per hour, whilst still at university. :sexface:

With that being said, I do agree in part with your point. Women do indeed dominate the lowest paying postgraduate jobs, and it takes an average of 5 years more for them to repay their loans compared to men. I wouldn't wholly blame them for this, some degrees should simply not exist at university. As long as they will exist, you will keep finding oblivious students willing to keep the lecture room seats warm.

This is my assumption, but some of that 1/3 are probably considering having children before seriously taking a career. I'll consider having children before taking any diplomatic role. Probably a year or two after I graduate and have a decent paying job to have a stable financial base for a family. In the meantime I'll probably teach or research.

I also think the latter part of your argument was unnecessary and irrelevant to your original point.

Comparison not valid. You should compare the pay of a Physics grad. It is way above £5 per hour.

True story.

You're wrong

How do you like dem apples??

You're wrong

How do you like dem apples??

LMAO :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Reply 74
So many sweeping generalisations my head hurts.

I appreciate everyone has an opinion, but if yours is discriminative and ignorant then please go educate yourself before declaring your view as correct.
Ironic that the male lions have girly hair tho.
Original post by Kadak
Male Lions do sometimes hunt.
Male lions have to protect their pride from rival lone males who if they beat the existing male lion who leads the pride,will kill all the cubs of the females so he can mate with them and remove any future threat .
You may not think this is important but remember infanticide is common among many species,so this makes sense.
Male lions also do protect the the pride from other threats,such as their mortal enemy the brown hyena.
Lions have relatively small hearts and lungs,their stamina is not that good,that is one of the reasons they live in prides and ambush /sneak up on their prey,teamwork and stealth overcompensate for this.

Yeahhhhhhhhh but the women kill, so because I witnessed @Melancholy undermining their position in the jungle I felt like correcting him :smile:
Yeahhhhhhhhh but the women kill, so because I witnessed @Melancholy undermining their position in the jungle I felt like correcting him :smile:

You might want to check up on hyenas.They are very interesting.. In this species,its the females who lead who lead the pack.They also have these large pseudo -penises which is actually an extended clitoris.They are bigger than the males and the females give birth through it too !
By the way,we are off topic:colondollar:.

I still prefer the males. I think I would get more brutally ripped apart by them but they have nice shiny manes.
I still prefer the males. I think I would get more brutally ripped apart by them but they have nice shiny manes.

Doubt it, if a lioness heard you undermining her role like that, the word "brutal" probably wouldn't describe how she rips you apart. She is trained to kill remember... (I would love to watch, I'd bring my popcorn :smile:)

Latest

Trending

Trending