Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    Since I've bought a 1440p monitor then yeah 768 is lacklustre but if you've not really experienced anything more than 1080 before then I'd say 768 is fine for a 500-550 quid laptop.
    You must have a pretty decent graphics card for 1440p lol. But yeah it's probably ok but it's up to them ultimately. Buying a laptop is a pretty long process as ultimately everything is a compromise in some way or another

ReputationRep:
    51 replies here, 0 in the thread in laptop/notebook section

roflmao chat > all subforums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    You can't say tbh without more detail - i5 and amd is way too broad a category as there are so many different types of i5s, and amd is a manufacturer so make everything from budget chips to chips for top end £1000+ desktop
    the specific ones i typed into this website and i found them both on the same page
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html

where the i5 one is higher then the AMD one

see for yourself
    AMD A8-7410
    and the
    i5-5200U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    the specific ones i typed into this website and i found them both on the same page

see for yourself
    AMD A8-7410
    and the
    i5-5200U
    Then the i5 one is better then in this case, although this is just a benchmark so remember that in real world usage the difference might not be as large as the numbers would suggest

ReputationRep:

see for yourself
    AMD A8-7410
    and the
    i5-5200U
    5200U is rated as 3500 +

7410 is rated as 2500 +

so yes the 5200U is better than the 7410

ReputationRep:
    You must have a pretty decent graphics card for 1440p lol. But yeah it's probably ok but it's up to them ultimately. Buying a laptop is a pretty long process as ultimately everything is a compromise in some way or another
    I've got a custom PC which I recently upgraded to a 980TI so yeah it's pretty decent! But my laptop is a 3yr old Lenovo Z580 which is just about soldiering on. Ideally I need a new one but I can't justify it after upgrading my PC. The 980TI almost cost as much as that laptop did brand new.

ReputationRep:
    Then the i5 one is better then in this case, although this is just a benchmark so remember that in real world usage the difference might not be as large as the numbers would suggest
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    5200U is rated as 3500 +

7410 is rated as 2500 +

so yes the 5200U is better than the 7410
    looks like i'll be sticking to my original choice if i don't find a better one under £500

ReputationRep:
    I've got a custom PC which I recently upgraded to a 980TI so yeah it's pretty decent! But my laptop is a 3yr old Lenovo Z580 which is just about soldiering on. Ideally I need a new one but I can't justify it after upgrading my PC. The 980TI almost cost as much as that laptop did brand new.
    The words '980ti' and 'pretty decent' i don't feel belong together lol - that's pretty much the top of the range nvidia card and I assume was £500+ and will run literally anything at ultra 1440p I imagine.

ReputationRep:
    looks like i'll be sticking to my original choice if i don't find a better one under £500
    its actually a good choice. Its just that i seriously dont think it will run LOL with intel graphics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    its actually a good choice. Its just that i seriously dont think it will run LOL with intel graphics.
    meh IF i was to run LOL on it then i'd probably use the lowest graphic setting on the game etc but tbh i just used LOL as an example i don't play it at all xD

ReputationRep:
    The words '980ti' and 'pretty decent' i don't feel belong together lol - that's pretty much the top of the range nvidia card and I assume was £500+ and will run literally anything at ultra 1440p I imagine.
    As long as the AA and MSAA is isn't on too high then it can handle almost anything at 60FPS. GTA V & Rise of the Tomb Raider will dip below that at times. My Lenovo laptop just about manages GTA V at 30FPS with everything turned down at 768 (which is a GT 635M).

ReputationRep:
    As long as the AA and MSAA is isn't on too high then it can handle almost anything at 60FPS. GTA V & Rise of the Tomb Raider will dip below that at times. My Lenovo laptop just about manages GTA V at 30FPS with everything turned down at 768 (which is a GT 635M).
    that's absurd

ReputationRep:
    thefatone Do you mind if I hijack this thread ever so slightly, I could do with some advice as well?

Going to university soon to study neuroscience (so no particular software requirements there)
    Will need for Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. and browsing the internet
    Won't really be playing games BUT, out of interest, if I wanted to play Shogun Total War 2, would I need something special?
    I like the idea of SSD, please factor that in
    *******s to Apple
    Will also be my main source of entertainment, so playing 100% legitimately obtained films and TV programs, listening to music etc.

Currently have an Acer Aspire 5742z which has served me well for about six years. It's a bit old now but still going; a bit like the beloved family pet that can't control its bowels any more, so has to be put down because it keeps ******** on the carpet.

Can anyone give me some advice on this matter? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    thefatone Do you mind if I hijack this thread ever so slightly, I could do with some advice as well?

Going to university soon to study neuroscience (so no particular software requirements there)
    Will need for Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. and browsing the internet
    Won't really be playing games BUT, out of interest, if I wanted to play Shogun Total War 2, would I need something special?
    I like the idea of SSD, please factor that in
    *******s to Apple
    Will also be my main source of entertainment, so playing 100% legitimately obtained films and TV programs, listening to music etc.

Currently have an Acer Aspire 5742z which has served me well for about six years. It's a bit old now but still going; a bit like the beloved family pet that can't control its bowels any more, so has to be put down because it keeps ******** on the carpet.

Can anyone give me some advice on this matter? Thanks.
    That's fine just make sure you get some replies though ^-^

ReputationRep:
    Any laptop from tesco, can anyone suggest a good quick one to use?
    Do you mind if I hijack this thread ever so slightly, I could do with some advice as well?
    Okay guys, I've found the perfect laptop for you both. Here's the link to Tesco and here's the same laptop £15 cheaper if you don't mind shopping elsewhere. It's got the same processor as that £540 laptop linked to earlier in this thread. Yeah, it's that good. :P

Hope that helps. Any questions, just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malamo999)
    Okay guys, I've found the perfect laptop for you both. Here's the link to Tesco and here's the same laptop £15 cheaper if you don't mind shopping elsewhere. It's got the same processor as that £540 laptop linked to earlier in this thread. Yeah, it's that good. :P

why so little storage space? i would get if more storage space..... other than that it's pretty much perfect

ReputationRep:

Thank you, that's very kind of you.

I'm willing to spend around £400. What would be the best aspect of the above laptop to 'beef up'?

ReputationRep:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-250-g...skuId=299-2567 is this one the same but with more storage space?

ReputationRep:
    why so little storage space?
    Because it's an SSD. This means you get less storage than other laptops, but the memory you do get is 10x as fast. If that's an issue for you, you could either consider cloud storage, buy the laptop and replace the SSD (or DVD drive even) with a traditional 1TB internal hard drive (£35 on Amazon) or look for another laptop. Let me know what you think?
    is this one the same but with more storage space?
    Yes, that looks perfect. Go for it.
    I'm willing to spend around £400. What would be the best aspect of the above laptop to 'beef up'?
    Okay, well you can either look for a different laptop of better overall calibre, of consider upgrading some of the components? It really comes down to where your priorities are. Do you want a faster overall experience? Maybe consider getting a laptop with a better processor (though, to be honest, an SSD will make the biggest real-world difference by far). Want to run more websites/programs/games at once? Consider buying a laptop with more RAM (or replacing what's already in there at ~£15 for 8GB). Want to run games better? Consider buying a laptop with a dedicated graphics card (any one will do). Want a better screen? Look for something with a 1080p display. Though, to be honest, that laptop should be "good enough" and is fantastic value as it is. If you're after something better, let me know where your priorities lie, but you'll be challenged to find something better for the money. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Because it's an SSD. This means you get less storage than other laptops, but the memory you do get is 10x as fast. If that's an issue for you, you could either consider cloud storage, buy the laptop and replace the SSD (or DVD drive even) with a traditional 1TB internal hard drive (£35 on Amazon) or look for another laptop. Let me know what you think?
    Yes, that looks perfect. Go for it.
    hmm.... it's a battle between slightly better processing power or more storage space.... not sure, honestly they're both the same price and i'd like them both.... but i wish the faster processing one had more space...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 4, 2016
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.