Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it Unfair how Sikhism do not have a country to themselves? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Sikhs have a country of their own?
    Yes
    28.99%
    No
    71.01%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cupcakes87)
    Are you an atheist?
    I don't know lol. I think God might possibly exist but I don't care for his existence. So maybe more aptheist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    So what makes you stay a hindu then?:erm::toofunny:
    There is nothing inherent in its philosophies or scriptures that "makes someone stay a Hindu".
    It's your choice - you're free to practice the religion, leave it, question it or reject some aspects and accept others (without the threat of apostasy or being roasted on satan's barbecue in hell :lol:)

Those who dig deeper, beyond the externals and superficial aspects actually see this diversity as positive - it allows you to find your own pathway without a pre-set formula being forced upon you.

Whenever there is any pressure in staying a Hindu or following a sect of Hinduism, it's an issue with family/society rather than some intrinsic teaching.

Is this what you meant?

ReputationRep:
    so having a religion means you should have a country to yourself? :lol: **** thaaaaaaat. and **** religion.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand some of the rules like carrying a knife with you and not allowing guys to cut their hair, but again that's just my opinion.

Sikh isn't the only religion that doesn't make sense to me though, Christianity doesn't make any sense to me either (probably more than Sikh). Which is why I left...Why are you an atheist if you like religion?

A knife (kirpan) is carried for protection. No just of yourself, but anyone who is in trouble who can not defend for themselves. Baptised Sikh are part of the khalsa, which is an army. This army has two main goals: to feed everyone and to protect everyone. Throughout history sikhs have been known to be very skilled warriors and upholders of justice. Carrying a knife reminds us of our duty as sikhs to not just stand by and watch when injustice takes place.If one was to believe in god, you may consider everything god does is perfect. God created everything, including humans. So if humans are naturally perfect, why do we then go out of our way to remove hair from our body. Surely this then undermines god by saying that infact god wasn't perfect and humans should have short hair etc etc.
    I just understand how someone one day, came and invented a religion out of nowhere and then everyone followed it?
    I have heard one person agree with me and think sikh doesn't make much sense, she was an old friend and she was a hindu.
    Haha, of course I won't it's just an opinion.
    With sikhi its not like everything happened in one day. The gurus were around for approximately 200 years. You cannot change the thinking and beliefs of society on one day, it takes time. Guru Nanak came in 1469, and Guru Gobind Singh us with the eternal Guru, Guru Granth Sahib in 1708. Throughout this period the sikh identity was created.
    If a political comes, says words you agree which are undeniably true, and captures your heart, you will vote for him right? Similarly the Guru came, showed the people the truth, people tried to prove him wrong but when the guru blessed them even they became a believer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    There is nothing inherent in its philosophies or scriptures that "makes someone stay a Hindu".
    It's your choice - you're free to practice the religion, leave it, question it or reject some aspects and accept others (without the threat of apostasy or being roasted on satan's barbecue in hell :lol:)

Those who dig deeper, beyond the externals and superficial aspects actually see this diversity as positive - it allows you to find your own pathway without a pre-set formula being forced upon you.

Whenever there is any pressure in staying a Hindu or following a sect of Hinduism, it's an issue with family/society rather than some intrinsic teaching.

Is this what you meant?
    Oh, makes sense
    So are you practising the religion because of family and do you believe everything in Hinduism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajneetk)
    She was scared of this saint called 'bhindranwale' who she claimed was a terrorist.
    Suppose Khalistan or whatever you say it is established then after 500 years another religion formed say .......... and some person tried to divided kahlistan and ask for their separate country. Then what you call him/her.? terrorist or saint????

Secondly if khalistan was established Do you think it can survive as a country. ???
    Don't you think Pakistan will made the life in Khalistan miserable . And also punjab could not have all resources such as coal, petrochemicals etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicst)
    Suppose Khalistan or whatever you say it is established then after 500 years another religion formed say .......... and some person tried to divided kahlistan and ask for their separate country. Then what you call him/her.? terrorist or saint????

Secondly if khalistan was established Do you think it can survive as a country. ???
    Don't you think Pakistan will made the life in Khalistan miserable . And also punjab could not have all resources such as coal, petrochemicals etc

The reason for Khalistan is not simply because sikhi is a religon. It goes much deeper. Sikhs are not treated with equal rights in India, I could give you countless examples. Punjab (the supposed land of five rivers) is drying up.

As Sikhs are oppressed under the government of India, there are two ways to resolve this issue.
    The first being a complete reform of india's law where there is no corruption and the law applies to everyone, not just the poor people and minorities.
    Or secondly, where Sikhs have their own homeland where they can pratise their religion freely without fear of persecution by the state.

We do not demand a state just because we are a separate religion, we demand a state because if we don't get one, there may not even be a religon left.

1) Deg, Tegh Jag mein dohon chalen,Rakh lo moi aap, awar na dalen

meaning both my economic power and strength of arms should prevail in the world. Under your protection, none be able to trample me.24

2) Koi kisi ko Raj na de haeJo lai hai nij bal sit lai hae

meaning, no body gives self rule as a gift to another,it is to be seized through their own strength.25

3) Raj bina neh Dharam chale hainDharam bina sab dale male hain

meaning, that without political power Dharam does not prosper and without Dharam the society remains admixture of ho

ReputationRep:
    Oh, makes sense
    So are you practising the religion because of family and do you believe everything in Hinduism?
    Negative for both answers :lol:
    I had essentially left the religion by the age of 14, but returned to it out of choice at around 20-21.
    I left it precisely because of family lol - they had limited knowledge, wouldn't give answers to my questions and would just say "don't question our tradition" or "we don't know the answer to your question, but do it/believe it etc. anyway".
    Age of 20-21 I actually found someone who could answer the questions and showed me a different path within the religion (that suited me better) to the one I had been brought up with.

As for "believing everything" in the religion - that would be impossible lmao; unless someone can find a way to be both atheist and monotheist at the same time (since they're both valid positions to take in Hinduism)..............
    This goes back to what I said before - that you CAN pick and choose, and reject things you don't agree with.

Dharmic religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and Jainism) are just a whole different breed to the Abrahamic ones. If you use the same frame of mind to view the Dharmic ones as you do for the Abrahamic ones, you are guaranteed to misunderstand those religions or just miss out a huge chunk of what they're all about.

ReputationRep:
    Sikhism is a minority religion, so it makes sense why they don't really have a country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taran001)
    Christians have a variety from Europe to North and South America
    Buddhists have Cambodia and Thailand
    Muslisms have the Middle East
    Hindus have India
    Jews have Israel
    Why doesnt Sikhism have a country?
    Should they have a country?
    Well you mean places you mentioned has majority of people from those religions.

But that may be hard to achieve i guess if you are saying a particular land only for the sikhs as then land will have to divide for them etc.

As majority sikhs are in India i guess then i don't really think India would like that to happen i guess as they may want to be united.

I am not sure but i thin in India there is a certain part where sikhs are most and is known for that...im guessing punjab. Lol sorry if i am wrong.

Basically it might be hard decision for India to accept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovepreetDhillon)
    If you have nothing constructive to say don't comment at all, I don't think people care about your silly comments to gain attention. You don't care but others do, also It looks like you education makes no sense as you know nothing about the Sikh religion.

As for the country factor, I myself am a Sikh but I feel that we don't , yet, need a country. Yes in the past the Indian Government have treated us wrongly but relations are improving not just in the Indian Sub-Continent but across the world. Also, religious countries create a lot of problems, look at Israel and the Middle East they aren't the most peaceful of nations.
    Sorry but i think you got it wrong. The problems are not religious people anywhere in the world. But rather the corrupted governments and the evil people that use religion which are no where near religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheALevelStudent)
    [/b]
    A knife (kirpan) is carried for protection. No just of yourself, but anyone who is in trouble who can not defend for themselves. Baptised Sikh are part of the khalsa, which is an army. This army has two main goals: to feed everyone and to protect everyone. Throughout history sikhs have been known to be very skilled warriors and upholders of justice. Carrying a knife reminds us of our duty as sikhs to not just stand by and watch when injustice takes place.If one was to believe in god, you may consider everything god does is perfect. God created everything, including humans. So if humans are naturally perfect, why do we then go out of our way to remove hair from our body. Surely this then undermines god by saying that infact god wasn't perfect and humans should have short hair etc etc.

With sikhi its not like everything happened in one day. The gurus were around for approximately 200 years. You cannot change the thinking and beliefs of society on one day, it takes time. Guru Nanak came in 1469, and Guru Gobind Singh us with the eternal Guru, Guru Granth Sahib in 1708. Throughout this period the sikh identity was created.
    If a political comes, says words you agree which are undeniably true, and captures your heart, you will vote for him right? Similarly the Guru came, showed the people the truth, people tried to prove him wrong but when the guru blessed them even they became a believer.
    Thanks for explaining it to me, but shouldn't God protect them anyway if they believe in him anyway so doesn't that go against the purpose of holding a knife with you.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone should have their own place to belong and the right to self determination

Except for White people of course who have multiculturalism that deprive them of that

ReputationRep:
    [/b]

Sikhs believe God created everything (including humans)?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for explaining it to me, but shouldn't God protect them anyway if they believe in him anyway so doesn't that go against the purpose of holding a knife with you.
    That's like saying nothing bad will ever happen to you because you beleive in God. It just doesn't work that way.

God can help you through the use of the Kirpan, providing you respect and honour it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Sikhs believe God created everything (including humans)?
    Of course, God is the creator, who else could create these things.
    God was the cause of evolution

ReputationRep:
    Of course, God is the creator, who else could create these things.
    God was the cause of evolution
    Well that isn't true but okay, I didn't realise Sikhs believed that. I thought they believed in God being significant in the Universe but not actually creating it.

God isn't the cause of evolution. Evolution happens naturally, we all evolve, everything evolves, society, language, humans we all evolve. That isn't because of God.

ReputationRep:
    That's like saying nothing bad will ever happen to you because you beleive in God. It just doesn't work that way.

God can help you through the use of the Kirpan, providing you respect and honour it.
    Oh, that is a great answer.
    Now I feel ignorant for saying the religion makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that is a great answer.
    Now I feel ignorant for saying the religion makes no sense.
    Well no religion makes sense, mostly because there is the idea of "faith" involved and faith is not evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Well no religion makes sense, mostly because there is the idea of "faith" involved and faith is not evidence.
    I thought you disagreed with me when I said that it made no sense?
    And yeah, that's partly the reason why I am not religious anymore

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.