STEM snobbery Watch

kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MevMev)
mate you need a balance like u can't just be all science and facts and logic sometimes u need a bit of creativity that comes from non stem subjects as well as sciences
as Einstein said: logic gets you from A to B.... imagination takes u everywhere :P
Science in a way does involve creativity (e.g. Engineering and also programming in Comp Sci).
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by harinimnida)
I wasn't smart enough for medicine I actually came across it searching for health professions, I was torn between therapeutic or diagnostic but diagnostics use more machines id be very trigger happy.
That sounds amazing! I dont even know what i want to do because im just not sure what courses are out there. Is diagnostic the one where they bring you into a room and do things with x rays?
Serpentine111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ihatePE)
i cant stand people who say other subjects are ''not real'' subjects PUHLEASE. anyone can pass STEM with past papers TBH. for example, the only science i have no understanding on is physics, but using past papers and studying the markscheme got me 2 A* so far so mmmhmmm
LOL gl doing that for a physics degree
tanyapotter
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
people who say stem subjects are harder to do well in than arts clearly have never had a crack at an A2 german essay
macromicro
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
Science in a way does involve creativity (e.g. Engineering and also programming in Comp Sci).
She said science and non-STEM.

That Einstein quote is describing how you have to also be an artist in science. The actual quote is “I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by macromicro)
She said science and non-STEM.

That Einstein quote is describing how you have to also be an artist in science.
Oh fair enough
DonaldW
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That sounds amazing! I dont even know what i want to do because im just not sure what courses are out there. Is diagnostic the one where they bring you into a room and do things with x rays?
That's one field of it, diagnostic radiotherapy. Very interesting.
udsjufhbsg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Diagnostic is all of MRI, CT, X-Ray, Ultrasound and Nuclear medicine, I went for it because how broad it can be, on my observational placement I was in a theatre wearing scrubs and a lead apron and got to see really cool procedures

I do feel that school and college does not prepare students well enough for choosing degrees, they need to promote other degree programs that aren't always in the spotlight.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rhythmical)
I do Humanities subjects at A Level, they aren't easy but I find on here, if you don't do STEM, you are a failure according to users on here. I feel so inferior.
If you don't do STEM at Oxbridge with a clean sweep of A-stars behind you then you're a worthless human being in the eyes of TSR.
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JamesN88)
If you don't do STEM at Oxbridge with a clean sweep of A-stars behind you then you're a worthless human being in the eyes of TSR.
Ah **** I failed.
Abstract_Prism
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just under half of the people nationally who take A level Maths get an A or above in it. When you consider this, I don't think Maths is as hard as it's made out to be.
B_9710
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
Just under half of the people nationally who take A level Maths get an A or above in it. When you consider this, I don't think Maths is as hard as it's made out to be.
I don't think anyone claiming to be part of the 'STEM master race' would agree that A-level maths, or A-level further maths for that matter, is hard.
Jesus_cock_lover
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do Humanities subjects at A Level, they aren't easy but I find on here, if you don't do STEM, you are a failure according to users on here. I feel so inferior.
You still doing A levels son. As long as you dont do humanities in uni you're good in life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rhythmical
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jesus_****_lover)
You still doing A levels son. As long as you dont do humanities in uni you're good in life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Son? I am a girl and I want to do Law haha.
ForgetMe
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They can say whatever they want, I did languages related degree and very happy about it :gah:
Jesus_cock_lover
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Son? I am a girl and I want to do Law haha.
Law is a reputable degree. Not sure about been lucrative

Posted from TSR Mobile
MevMev
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Trapz99)
Economics is what the real master race does.
hahaha true that XD
MevMev
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
thats why i said as well as sciences :P
Jj15
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you make me laugh, maths is not rigorous after 5 past papers - im not just talking about gcse maths btw
Have you finished A level ?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
STEM students are gay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (197)
18.69%
Labour (546)
51.8%
Liberal Democrats (141)
13.38%
Green Party (58)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.42%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (17)
1.61%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.66%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (4)