Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff548)
    frozen!?!?!? Are you mad!?!?!? For nat 5??? It will have been a baby passage!!!!!!!
    Yeah I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I was told!! Could have scored full marks for that passage with my eyes closed as my wee boy LOVES Frozen and I've practically memorised it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarolGray91)
    Yeah I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I was told!! Could have scored full marks for that passage with my eyes closed as my wee boy LOVES Frozen and I've practically memorised it!
    Hahahahaha

In my school they followed the 2015 grade boundaries and used them for the prelim. So our A cut-off was 74%. Unfortunately, I only got 71%

Was your prelim the one with the close reading on shopping?

I do think the exam boundaries will be 74% again if they don't consider our petition because it's been like that for a while now for English.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahaha

In my school they followed the 2015 grade boundaries and used them for the prelim. So our A cut-off was 74%. Unfortunately, I only got 71%

Was your prelim the one with the close reading on shopping?

I do think the exam boundaries will be 74% again if they don't consider our petition because it's been like that for a while now for English.
    Yeah we had the shopping one! I thought it was insanely easy!! I missed 3 marks because I ran out of time and didn't finish the end question properly otherwise I would have had full marks! And that gave me a boost as I only scored 12 marks for my Romeo and Juliet essay (I hadn't read it by this point) and 12 marks for my poetry analysis (couldn't properly answer the 10 mark question as I hadn't familiarised myself with any of Duffy's poems!) but in all fairness I joined really late and could only attend 50% of the classes as it clashed with biology. I got my head down and was really confident with my poetry but the questions for drama were just crap tbh! And I must have spent 15 mins on the first close reading question!! 😭😭

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we had the shopping one! I thought it was insanely easy!! I missed 3 marks because I ran out of time and didn't finish the end question properly otherwise I would have had full marks! And that gave me a boost as I only scored 12 marks for my Romeo and Juliet essay (I hadn't read it by this point) and 12 marks for my poetry analysis (couldn't properly answer the 10 mark question as I hadn't familiarised myself with any of Duffy's poems!) but in all fairness I joined really late and could only attend 50% of the classes as it clashed with biology. I got my head down and was really confident with my poetry but the questions for drama were just crap tbh! And I must have spent 15 mins on the first close reading question!! 😭😭
    We studied Romeo and Juliet too!!! I wrote my essay on a poem in the exam though because my teacher wrote an essay so I memorised it and thankgod it came up!!!!

For the prelim I only got 18 in my close reading because we never got told you're supposed to put 1 point for a mark. We all thought it was the same as nat 5 because no one told us and even in our practice class tests our teacher gave us the marks for going nat 5 style. Then in the prelims, they swap papers and we realised oh ****.

Same happened in my textual analysis. Only got 1 mark for each point so I got 16/20. Could've gone better otherwise. Not too bothered though because I learnt it in time for the exam and I would rather do well in the exam than have done well in the prelim!

You sound good at close reading! How did you find the tone and contrast question then???

ReputationRep:
    We studied Romeo and Juliet too!!! I wrote my essay on a poem in the exam though because my teacher wrote an essay so I memorised it and thankgod it came up!!!!

For the prelim I only got 18 in my close reading because we never got told you're supposed to put 1 point for a mark. We all thought it was the same as nat 5 because no one told us and even in our practice class tests our teacher gave us the marks for going nat 5 style. Then in the prelims, they swap papers and we realised oh ****.

Same happened in my textual analysis. Only got 1 mark for each point so I got 16/20. Could've gone better otherwise. Not too bothered though because I learnt it in time for the exam and I would rather do well in the exam than have done well in the prelim!

You sound good at close reading! How did you find the tone and contrast question then???
    Yeah I've always been good at close reading as it's just a case of taking answers from the text and rewording it. I've not done nat5 so I'm not sure about their marking scheme (I did standard grade back in the day and got a credit 2, and then an int 2 C)
    You memorised an entire essay?? Kudos!!! I swear I have early onset dementia 😂 I'm 25 next month and my memory is awful!

I vaguely remember the tone question and I wrote how it was an almost sarcastic and very condescending tone, the contrast question I can't remember what it asked? (Blame my crap memory lol)
    How did you find the last question?? I REALLY struggled to find the points they disagreed on and those for me are my best questions 😪

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've always been good at close reading as it's just a case of taking answers from the text and rewording it. I've not done nat5 so I'm not sure about their marking scheme (I did standard grade back in the day and got a credit 2, and then an int 2 C)
    You memorised an entire essay?? Kudos!!! I swear I have early onset dementia 😂 I'm 25 next month and my memory is awful!

I vaguely remember the tone question and I wrote how it was an almost sarcastic and very condescending tone, the contrast question I can't remember what it asked? (Blame my crap memory lol)
    How did you find the last question?? I REALLY struggled to find the points they disagreed on and those for me are my best questions 😪
    Didn't find the last question that bad tbh. I got they both disagree in general, they both disagree whether 16+17year olds are mature enough and they both disagree on teenagers' rights.

I actually memorised 2 essays fully, and then just memorised quotes and analysis for Romeo and juliet for about 3-4 different possible questions on that. Other than that I just memorised a lot of quotes for the Scottish text! Paid off since the essay I am most comfortable with came up but I hope it's an A.

I am struggling to go through Biology for my exam on Monday because I just cba anymore and also it's too much to learn.

Tone and contrast I ****** up properly

ReputationRep:
    Didn't find the last question that bad tbh. I got they both disagree in general, they both disagree whether 16+17year olds are mature enough and they both disagree on teenagers' rights.

I actually memorised 2 essays fully, and then just memorised quotes and analysis for Romeo and juliet for about 3-4 different possible questions on that. Other than that I just memorised a lot of quotes for the Scottish text! Paid off since the essay I am most comfortable with came up but I hope it's an A.

I am struggling to go through Biology for my exam on Monday because I just cba anymore and also it's too much to learn.

Tone and contrast I ****** up properly
    Right I've got 0 marks for that final question!! I thought disagree meant where they had opposite views and didn't share similar views on 16 years olds voting 😱😱😱 so I quoted how their views were contrasting! No wonder I found it soooo hard!!
    Yep human biology exam on Monday, but I'm confident I'll get an A. I really do have to relearn topics 3 and 4 though as it was very rushed. 1 and 2 are just a refresh but 3/4 are proper relearns 😭 CrashCourse on YouTube does some fantastic videos on biology! They've helped me soooo much and worth a look if you're struggling 😬

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what the big fuss is about the exam and why there is a petition. The paper was completely fine, the tone and contrast one is easy, the contrast was between the younger and the older generations future and the tone of voice was sarcastic because she used quotations around a word. The last question with disagreement was one thought teens were mature enough, tax allows them to vote and can't remember the last one, the other woman thought differently.

I think because of last years maths exam every time there is a hard paper now people are just going to make a petition in hope that it brings the boundaries down. Shouldn't have even happened last year because that maths paper was far from difficult too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LD2315)
    I don't understand what the big fuss is about the exam and why there is a petition. The paper was completely fine, the tone and contrast one is easy, the contrast was between the younger and the older generations future and the tone of voice was sarcastic because she used quotations around a word. The last question with disagreement was one thought teens were mature enough, tax allows them to vote and can't remember the last one, the other woman thought differently.

I think because of last years maths exam every time there is a hard paper now people are just going to make a petition in hope that it brings the boundaries down. Shouldn't have even happened last year because that maths paper was far from difficult too.
    That's what I wrote for the contrast/tone and the final question.

The maths paper was far from difficult? Really? People with masters degrees in maths struggled to answer some of those questions, and the paper was far above the level expected for higher, which even SQA admitted themselves. The point for the English paper that students are trying to make is that by changing it last minute it didn't reflect the standards that SQA set out in their specimen/exemplar and previous past paper, and caused students to lose faith in their organisation as a whole,and this stress placed on students last minute may have impacted on their results.

ReputationRep:
    Right I've got 0 marks for that final question!! I thought disagree meant where they had opposite views and didn't share similar views on 16 years olds voting 😱😱😱 so I quoted how their views were contrasting! No wonder I found it soooo hard!!
    Yep human biology exam on Monday, but I'm confident I'll get an A. I really do have to relearn topics 3 and 4 though as it was very rushed. 1 and 2 are just a refresh but 3/4 are proper relearns 😭 CrashCourse on YouTube does some fantastic videos on biology! They've helped me soooo much and worth a look if you're struggling 😬
    I hate that youtube guy personally. He makes me not want to study biology ahahaha!!!

I'm sure you will get some marks on that last question. Doesn't sound completely wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LD2315)

With hindersight, the maths paper last year would have been fair if we had more time. I have never had any problems with the timing of my maths exams, except that exam last year.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I wrote for the contrast/tone and the final question.

The maths paper was far from difficult? Really? People with masters degrees in maths struggled to answer some of those questions, and the paper was far above the level expected for higher, which even SQA admitted themselves. The point for the English paper that students are trying to make is that by changing it last minute it didn't reflect the standards that SQA set out in their specimen/exemplar and previous past paper, and caused students to lose faith in their organisation as a whole,and this stress placed on students last minute may have impacted on their results.
    I think it was blown out of proportion last year, people complaining about the limits question yet it was the easiest in the paper. At least the SQA have actually said themselves this year at conferences this years higher and AH will be basic

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.