Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Nope there is no B grade equivalent in level 3

you will need the Extended Diploma diploma to get into uni as you cannot realistically get enough UCAS points from just the 90 credit diploma as the highest grade D*D* is only worth 210 points

If you are able to get MM this year then you have every chance of being able to achieve DDM overall, your grades from both the 2 years get combined to give you the overall grade, you will need to achieve a good mix of Distinctions and Merits next year to do this as you are not allowed to go back and redo work from the previous year
    210 Ucas point? Isn't a D* worth 140 Ucas point? Or am i wrong on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann.It)
    210 Ucas point? Isn't a D* worth 140 Ucas point? Or am i wrong on that.
    a single D* is worth 140 UCAS points

D*D* in the 90 credit diploma which is worth 1.5 A levels

so D* (140) + D* (70) = 210

ReputationRep:
    BTEC's (Level 3) are supposed to be equivalent to A-levels. However, they are not really on the same playing field.

The way in which you are assessed is not equivalent to A levels either. In A levels you have to learn and apply your knowledge at the end of the year in an exam. With BTEC there is no need to learn. You can just find all of the information online. AND if you don't get a distinction you can resubmit your work. An A level student would not get an opportunity like that. They would have to retake the whole year.

So, A levels are harder than BTEC's, but if you want an easy route to uni, then pick a BTEC, like me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but how are you able to take two BTEC courses, as-well as A-Level Maths.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Maybe our school is just weird. It is a subsidiary diploma, if that makes any difference.

ReputationRep:
    Incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    I do a mixture of BTEC's and A-Levels, I do Business BTEC, Maths, Biology and Culture and Communications and Business BTEC is really easy compared to my A-Level subjects and it is 90% chance I will get into a uni. You have people who do just A-Levels and they probably end up getting the worst grades and life is ruined. If you have BTEC's you will probably get into a uni if you put in the effort. I believe that BTEC's are so much easier than A-Levels. I disagree completely with your statement about being hard as each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW22)
    BTEC's are so much easier than A Levels, the way you are tested is easier and the knowledge required isn't as difficult
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with this... The BTEC's are equally as difficult as A-Levels, I've studied both and I've found, in my case, especially with BTEC Health and Social Care that this is true. For A-Levels you usually focus on one subject which branches off into relevant topics, for example, History you tend to focus on the same subject; however, I've found with health and social care you need a lot more knowledge than what people think... In my classes I've had to learn Health and Social Care, Psychology, Sociology, The Sciences and even learn from childcare, Physical Health and Nutrition as well as mathematics and statistics. So, the knowledge you need is quite difficult, it may not be the same with other subjects but from my own health and social care point of view it is. On top of that, the way we are tested isn't any easier either. Despite my course being all coursework based - which will be changing within the next two years - we still need to get our coursework done on deadlines that can seem quite fast-paced, we need it to meet the criteria and we also get assessed through case studies, group and lone discussions, role-plays of scenarios and we need to complete a certain amount of placements (usually relevant to which field you want to go into) and if you don't complete those hours then you could fail the course no matter how good your coursework is.. Also, going along the knowledge you need to know and the way you are tested... most times, when you apply for a A-Level course it seems that A-Level students are getting usually B's and above, occasionally C's whilst BTEC students are said to be "less able" and achieve C's or less. It is said that it shows that A-Levels are more superior because the entry requirements you need to get in, as opposed to BTECS. In my case, as well as having to have the grade entries, we need to have an interview to show how we are, why we want to do the course, whether we are fit for it etc. as well as having to do DBS for placements which need to be completed and to make sure we are safe to work with people, so it seems that it can be the same in BTEC as A-Level as we have to make sure we have the right attitude and motivation to even be considered on the course.

Also, in an A-Level which may have exams, usually you have coursework which is a certain % of your grade and the examination which tends to be most of your grade... From a BTEC point of view it seems that those who take A-Levels take one exam and could essentially turn out with an A or A* (the equivalent of Distinction or Distinction* in BTEC), but with BTEC, to get a Distinction or D* (A-A*), we need to make all of our work over 2-3 up to a certain grade and keep it that way to ensure we get that, otherwise it could change our grades completely, at least that's how it works where I study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasdhesi95)
    BTEC's (Level 3) are supposed to be equivalent to A-levels. However, they are not really on the same playing field.

The way in which you are assessed is not equivalent to A levels either. In A levels you have to learn and apply your knowledge at the end of the year in an exam. With BTEC there is no need to learn. You can just find all of the information online. AND if you don't get a distinction you can resubmit your work. An A level student would not get an opportunity like that. They would have to retake the whole year.

So, A levels are harder than BTEC's, but if you want an easy route to uni, then pick a BTEC, like me!

BTECS are meant to be changing though within the next two years so that there are exams, and in classes like mine in health and social care you aren't really supposed to re-submit unless it's necessary and you are only allowed to do it once anyway. also, knowing all your information online or textbooks isn't useful when you get assessed through case studies, role plays, placements, group and individual discussions like you would in my class.

ReputationRep:
    I think BTECs are an absolute disgrace, anyone who think they are anywhere near the difficulty of A-levels is quite simply a fool.

I know so many people who failed AS and got 3 ****ing Us, and now did 3 full BTECS in 1 year to D or D* level, and are now going to bloody good unis like Surrey and UEA.

Furthermore the people that did it in one year and many other don't have to get their work sent off! This is absolutely ridiculous, a free grade basically, while I've worked hard ALL YEAR, way harder than many BTEC students.

The myth that in A-levels you only work hard towards the end of the year and in BTECs you work hard all through the year really annoys me.

Anyone who wants to get A's and A*s at A-level HAS to work hard from September, and yet BTEC students can get a distinction in 1 subject in just a week, with no exams and marked by their own teachers, tell me how the hell is this fair?

Yes I can hear just to vent my discontent.

ReputationRep:
    " When people hate on you, It's because you've got something they want."

Sounds like someone hasn't tried hard enough in their exams

ReputationRep:
    " When people hate on you, It's because you've got something they want."

Sounds like someone hasn't tried hard enough in their exams

Oh I've tried hard enough, very hard because I'm not an idiot, harder than many BTEC students, I'm confident of getting the grades I need and believe I deserve, however my issue is that I don't believe that BTEC students have tried hard, nor do I believe that they truly deserve their grades and good uni places.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 401
Size:  16.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    *Snobbery of A-Level students intensifies*

ReputationRep:
    As a BTEC student, I agree with this. BTEC assignments are tedious, but they're not difficult. It's just a matter of reading through text books and the specification and regurgitating it all in your own words. The way that the work is marked actually discourages students from developing their own knowledge and opinions, as the specification requires us to meet the precise criteria that the exam board sets.

While A-levels still involve quite a bit of parroting, at least you actually have to remember that knowledge for a long term; you can't just read it once, write it out in your own words, and then forget it completely straight afterwards. A-level papers also seem to involve a lot more creative thinking, especially Maths and English.

Basically; BTECs require a much greater time commitment and are more tedious, but A-levels offer a greater intellectual challenge, and are better at encouraging students to maintain knowledge in their memory for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdNozSunburnNose)
    Sorry but my coursework in my subjects I would say are as hard as a-levels like maths test or the sciences or sociology, I have to do so much work whereas maths just looks like a few past papers and science just an extension of common knowledge in my honest opinion. You may think this is a bad troll but I am serious. You don't know how hard us students work plus our BTEC is equivalent to an a level like science so we have just as good a chance of getting into a top uni. Maybe not Cambridge or Oxford but a Russell group probably.
    Don't be so negative, BTECs will be accepted by Oxbridge! I'm sure Worzel Gummidge College Cambridge would accept you.

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ReputationRep:
    I have got 3 U's somehow in this AS year even though I committed hours on end to do the revision etc, but I didn't get the grades due to the new specification which done everyone over hard!😂 I'm
    Thinking of doing a Btec level-3 extended diploma in applied science & I need to know what it's like I need to know if it's difficult as AS or no, because I put a lot of effort into AS so I'm wondering if I do
    The same amount of time commitment &
    effort into the btec assignments would it help?

ReputationRep:
    Considering BTEC is the backup for those who fail A levels, kinda shows how simple BTEC's are in comparison😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheyCallMePolish)
    Considering BTEC is the backup for those who fail A levels, kinda shows how simple BTEC's are in comparison😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Erm thanks for the help😂But no seriously I need to know whether or not to flipping retake a levels or do this btec ****

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.