Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boaty McBoatface Vs RRS Sir David Attenborough Watch

• View Poll Results: What should Britain's new polar research ship be called?
    RRS Boaty McBoatface
    60.11%
    RRS Sir David Attenborough
    39.89%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Fascist FoS at it again :rolleyes:

On the radio some guy called in to say he was naming his canal boat instead. I wish people got as angry about things that actually matter as they did about this
    There are some witty names for canal boats. There is one around Nottingham called The Onion Bargee.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I still can't believe that they were going to name a boat like that "Boaty McBoatface". Still makes me laugh

Who on earth thought of such a name...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I still can't believe that they were going to name a boat like that "Boaty McBoatface". Still makes me laugh

Who on earth thought of such a name...
    It was James Hand.

He's apologetic about it now.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-anyway.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    There are some witty names for canal boats. There is one around Nottingham called The Onion Bargee.
    Crying out to be made a floating takeaway.

ReputationRep:
    'Suggest a name!' :gah:

Note: We reserve the right to totally ignore the most popular suggestion, you dirty peasants. Lots of love, the establishment x

ReputationRep:
    Boaty! It's like Donald McDuck.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am saddened by the lack of silliness in the world but also find it vaguely predictable. In which case Attenborough is a legend and I'm all for it if we're not allowed Boaty McB.

ReputationRep:
    I think Boaty McBoatface is hilarious, but ridiculous to be official. But for sure, I think it should (and probably will) be referred to informally as Boaty McBoatface, or something along those lines.

RRS Sir David Attenborough is a bit of a mouthful though. Surely RRS Attenborough is much cleaner and more elegant as a name for a vessel.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.