Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long did it take you to get over your first love? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I'm only strong considering certain aspects of my life, other than that I'm a very vulnerable, especially when it comes to dealing with relationships or romantic feelings etc
    These things are all linked honey, take it from an integrative health and wellness practitioner

There's certain things I long for and its one of them but it's not good for my mental health at all, so I'm better off without it in most cases
    Agreed, in most cases

does it make you feel secure knowing you're never short of female dating options?
    Certainly helps, although when you have a high, and stable, sense of self-worth, plus a somewhat spectrum (socially disaffected) personality (disorder), really there's not much that can knock your sense of security (loneliness is another matter)

It's gotten worse in this day and age. It's all about what I want or what I need. It's no longer a shared thing but rather what I can only get out of it. It's based on selfish interests most of the time
    Correct assessment! Doesn't apply to everyone, however, you do get the odd 'benevolent dictator' :sexface:

I don't necessarily believe in true love these days, it's all just Abit superficial but there are people out there who actually believe in romantic Hollywood style stories where the girls meets this amazing guy and they fall in love and get married, I'm very skeptical especially because of my past two relationships and my experiences with my exs
    That's a crying shame. True love offers wonderful promise :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    These things are all linked honey, take it from an integrative health and wellness practitioner

Agreed, in most cases

Certainly helps, although when you have a high, and stable, sense of self-worth, plus a somewhat spectrum (socially disaffected) personality (disorder), really there's not much that can knock your sense of security (loneliness is another matter)

Correct assessment! Doesn't apply to everyone, however, you do get the odd 'benevolent dictator' :sexface:

That's a crying shame. True love offers wonderful promise :daydreaming:
    They're completely separate things

Okay,if it makes you happy and confident then good for you

Well true love can go and **** itself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    They're completely separate things
    Don't argue with daddy :naughty:

Okay, if it makes you happy and confident then good for you
    It doesn't impact on happiness, and the confidence boost is minimal

Well true love can go and **** itself
    Meow

ReputationRep:
    Three or four weeks. By the next time I saw her, I couldn't have given less of a **** about her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Don't argue with daddy :naughty:

It doesn't impact on happiness, and the confidence boost is minimal

Meow
    Whatever it impacts on,then.

I honestly couldn't care less about love or guys

For me it took a little longer than I had hoped. For reasons I'll hold back from sharing but I know how much better I feel from getting the closure I needed with some honesty & communication.

Moving on now has never felt so good and being able to say I look forward to meeting new people and widening my social circle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddle_me_in)
    Tbh, I think that the harsh truth is exactly what I need to hear. Otherwise, I just keep clinging to an illusion which prevents me from letting go.

Thanks, I will probably take you up on that offer
    Of course! Anytime you like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddle_me_in)
    I was close to someone for a period. We were never "together" but we developed an unlikely friendship over time. We were both pretty broken people and, even though our lives are worlds apart, we just grew closer together.

He never wanted me the way I wanted him but he was still so good to me. He looked after me and he made me feel better when I felt like ****.

He moved and I haven't seen him in half a year. In the beginning, I was so depressed that I didn't want to get out of bed. I didn't eat properly for a few months, I even cut myself one day when I felt really *****y. It brought all my past issues with low self-esteem and self-hatred and depression back.

I tell myself that deep down it would never have worked anyway. There would have been religious/cultural issues on my side and drugs and other **** on his side but it doesn't help. I made him my absolute world and, since his absence, I've completely lost myself.

I'll admit, I'm not as ****ed up about it as I was months ago but I still think about him every day. It's half a year down the line and I still break down crying if I think about him too much.

I mean, do these feelings ever ****ing stop?
    No, they don't stop. They just fade away with time. You're never going to forget the way you felt about him but the feelings will definitely lessen a great deal in
    their intensity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.