Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Palestine or Israel Watch

• View Poll Results: Palestine or Israel ?
    Palestine
    67.00%
    Israel
    27.09%
    I don't know
    5.91%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    This is part of the problem. The problem is that for as long as neighbouring countries continue to express anti-Semitic sentiments and until the Jewish population can be promised some security and freedom to live within the region, then I can't ever see any changes happening in Israel. Whilst Palestinian-determination is all good and well, any Palestinian state that may be created will need the support of the Jews. For as long Jews fear the alternative, then the Jews will do all that is possible to uphold the status quo
    Pretty much. It's a problem for two statism as well, and three statism. Truth be told attitudes in both nations need to change and certain voices need to lose influence. And unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/09/wo...zans.html?_r=0

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...p-bombing.html

Here's my sources. Maybe things have changed in the last couple of years so I could be wrong.
    Spoiler:
    Show

How moral must Israel be, sometimes deciding to warn civilians before destroying their homes and rendering them homeless without any of their belongings. Why are they even targeting civilian homes in the first place? In the cases where civilians are warned(sometimes minutes before the actual attack) have you ever considered where they're supposed to go to? They're not exactly faced with an abundance of options. There are very few places that offer protection, and think of the sort of people that may be trying to escape: parents with young children, elderly, etc.. Do you really think it's sufficient to excuse Israel of blame or accountability because they 'warned' civilians?Not to mention in many instances civilians receive no warning at all. Israel target hospitals, schools, and other places crucial to the people of Gaza(Of course, they will make excuses for their despicable acts.) You have no idea what it's like to constantly live under fear of your home being destroyed by rockets and your loved ones killed. It's easy for you to buy into Israel's bs claims about how they try to minimise loss of lives but in reality it just isn't true. What good is it to tell people to leave their homes when virtually all roads and infrastructure have been destroyed by Israel? I'm from South Lebanon and on two separate occasions my home town was shelled(the second time exactly on the 10th anniversary of the first,what a coincidence). In the first, a UN compound holding hundreds of civilians was shelled,killing over a hundred people,and Israel claimed it was 'due to incorrect targeting.' Do you really think they care about the civilians? They do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    Spoiler:
    Show

How moral must Israel be, sometimes deciding to warn civilians before destroying their homes and rendering them homeless without any of their belongings. Why are they even targeting civilian homes in the first place? In the cases where civilians are warned(sometimes minutes before the actual attack) have you ever considered where they're supposed to go to? They're not exactly faced with an abundance of options. There are very few places that offer protection, and think of the sort of people that may be trying to escape: parents with young children, elderly, etc.. Do you really think it's sufficient to excuse Israel of blame or accountability because they 'warned' civilians?Not to mention in many instances civilians receive no warning at all. Israel target hospitals, schools, and other places crucial to the people of Gaza(Of course, they will make excuses for their despicable acts.) You have no idea what it's like to constantly live under fear of your home being destroyed by rockets and your loved ones killed. It's easy for you to buy into Israel's bs claims about how they try to minimise loss of lives but in reality it just isn't true. What good is it to tell people to leave their homes when virtually all roads and infrastructure have been destroyed by Israel? I'm from South Lebanon and on two separate occasions my home town was shelled(the second time exactly on the 10th anniversary of the first,what a coincidence). In the first, a UN compound holding hundreds of civilians was shelled,killing over a hundred people,and Israel claimed it was 'due to incorrect targeting.' Do you really think they care about the civilians? They do not.
    I've already said in an earlier post that Israel needs to do more to avoid civilian casualties. They certainly seem to care more about civilian casualties than Hamas does or they'd just reduce Palestine to dust (which is exactly what the terrorists would do to Israel if they had the ability to). Do you see Hamas as an obstruction to peace or a means to it? I'm genuinely curious.

I can certainly empathise with you but I can also see it from an Israeli perspective. If I had been brought up in Palestine then maybe I'd agree with you whereas if I was an Israeli under rocket attack then I'd support Israel. Can you see it from their perspective as well? They've been attacked multiple times since their creation. If you think you're public enemy number one it'll certainly lead to an us against them mentality.

What would be your recommendation to solve the situation? (again I'm genuinely curious rather than trying to trap you into an answer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    Strange that..
    That not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR Mustafa)
    I'm more for Palestine
    What? A muslim poster supports Palestine? I cannot believe it. :cool:
    If Israel could have its way they would undoubtedly massacre the Palestinians.
    It's much more than just "more", isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Palestine.

ReputationRep:
    Co-existence.

ReputationRep:
    This is part of the problem. The problem is that for as long as neighbouring countries continue to express anti-Semitic sentiments and until the Jewish population can be promised some security and freedom to live within the region, then I can't ever see any changes happening in Israel. Whilst Palestinian-determination is all good and well, any Palestinian state that may be created will need the support of the Jews. For as long Jews fear the alternative, then the Jews will do all that is possible to uphold the status quo
    Precisely.

ReputationRep:
    Palestine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by admonit)
    What? A muslim poster supports Palestine? I cannot believe it. :cool:
    You say that as if you can't be found on every thread to do with Israel, Jewish people, and Judaism generally, taking the most predictable positions. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K2G)
    Israel was a compensation for the past events that took place. Now they act as if they've earned the bloody country.
    It wasn't a "compensation". The Jews would have had a state there without the Holocaust.

ReputationRep:
    Watini Filasteen

My mother's birth place, my homeland, my Palestine.

LONG LIVE PALESTINE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammy1001)
    Watini Filasteen

My mother's birth place, my homeland, my Palestine.

LONG LIVE PALESTINE
    Inshallah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    :israel:
    Boo all the Zionists!

(Original post by K2G)
    Israel was a compensation for the past events that took place. Now they act as if they've earned the bloody country.
    I couldn't agree more!

(Original post by 0to100)
    Eugh to both
    Eugh to your face.

(Original post by EricPiphany)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That is impossible now. My people have suffered too much and we aren't ready to accept a binational state.

(Original post by admonit)
    !עם ישראל חי
    Zionist, I assume?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolatmaths)
    Why not reality?
    There are 600,000 colonists in the West Bank. Their dwellings are like bunkers with water tanks and caves. They have assault riffles and ammo - even kids - and they would rather die than leaving.
    The Israeli government will not be able to dislodge them, and neither the Palestinian - or any Arab state.

Anybody saying that a "two states solution is possible" is either deluded or lying.

(Original post by sammy1001)
    Boo all the Zionists!

I couldn't agree more!

Eugh to your face.

That is impossible now. My people have suffered too much and we aren't ready to accept a binational state.

Zionist, I assume?
    Good luck with that m8

ReputationRep:
    The palestinians have the right to get their land back. And the israelis can live there too if they want. But yeah Palestine needs to be recognised and will never be forgotten.

Also palestinian is an ethnic group if i am right. So people who think that it is jews vs muslims are soo wrong. Palestinian are of different religions not just muslims.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. The conflict can only end if Lebanon, Syria (well, not now), KSA, Iran, Pakistan, etc. recognised Israel; and if Hamas and Hezbollah gave up their fight against Israel.

Then, the "us vs them; they hate us" rhetoric used by Netanyahu and the Israeli right will become irrelevant, as well as the settlements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Exactly. The conflict can only end if Jordan, Lebanon, Syria (well, not now), KSA, Iran, Pakistan, etc. recognised Israel; and if Hamas and Hezbollah gave up their fight against Israel.

Then, the "us vs them; they hate us" rhetoric used by Netanyahu and the Israeli right will become irrelevant, as well as the settlements.
    Israel has not recognized Palestine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Am Yisrael Chai!

Free Palestine from Hamas

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.