Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonb365)
    Same but not to worry, you'll just lose the 1 mark (although it's bloody annoying I know).
    Yeah haha very annoying! Everything else wasn't too bad, some questions I found tricky, others were surprisingly easy! It took me forever to find the factor for the polynomial! Was so annoying haha I had a mind blank

ReputationRep:
    Yes same

ReputationRep:
    I'm with you there. I was constantly rubbing out for like 5 mins and that question was exhausting my time.

One other thing to say about this paper is the awkward numbers. Some quite tough numbers to figure out in the polynomial in particular and certainly you'd be taking a long time on certain questions if your non-calc numeracy wasn't very good.
    I wrote in pen so had scribbles everywhere, they are going to hate me! Yeah I did think there were a few nasty numbers, was the polynomial the one with 66x^2 etc?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get 1/9 for one of the questions? Can't remember which one haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luketidley)
    Yeah haha very annoying! Everything else wasn't too bad, some questions I found tricky, others were surprisingly easy! It took me forever to find the factor for the polynomial! Was so annoying haha I had a mind blank
    This! As I've already posted, if there was one way this paper was not too kind it was with its awkward choice of numbers.

There will be a lot of AS students that would be have been dumbfounded by that polynomial question. Also quite a few people at my college from A2 had trouble simplifying some of their expressions down so in that respect, there was a bit of a tricky edge to the paper, despite the content being okay on the surface.

ReputationRep:
    Me! And did you have k=5/4 for one of the questions?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Did you copy my paper , both dropped that silly 1 mark but we both got this. And it was the 9 is x so what is dy/dx question I believe. Suppose they are harder than the standard dy/dx a function. A bit wordy but once you read it correctly it's a relatively nice 4 marker.

ReputationRep:
    This! As I've already posted, if there was one way this paper was not too kind it was with its awkward choice of numbers.

There will be a lot of AS students that would be have been dumbfounded by that polynomial question. Also quite a few people at my college from A2 had trouble simplifying some of their expressions down so in that respect, there was a bit of a tricky edge to the paper, despite the content being okay on the surface.
    Yes I agree totally. It was all of the squares e.t.c., it just took me a while haha! Hopefully the grade boundaries are fairly low anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Did you copy my paper , both dropped that silly 1 mark but we both got this. And it was the 9 is x so what is dy/dx question I believe. Suppose they are harder than the standard dy/dx a function. A bit wordy but once you read it correctly it's a relatively nice 4 marker.
    I did hahaha! Ah thats reassuring that someone has the correct answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi173)
    I wrote in pen so had scribbles everywhere, they are going to hate me! Yeah I did think there were a few nasty numbers, was the polynomial the one with 66x^2 etc?
    I always do my graphs in pencil but make sure it's a clear layout so that it can be detected by the senser. God I don't know how I'd be able to sketch that combined graph without taking up a whole booklet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomi173)
    Me! And did you have k=5/4 for one of the questions?
    I got odd numbers like k>-76/something

ReputationRep:
    Yes the part b of differentiation. You had to find dydx when x =9

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not being funny but I thought that was a bit of a ridiculous non-calc question to work out for one sodding mark (1 mark for subbing in 2.25 for all x-values I think)!
    it was a bit of a pisstake. I'm sort of glad it was only worth a couple of marks as it seems everyone got massively different answers, so people would be worse off if it was say 4 marks

ReputationRep:
    What were the two solutions you guys got for the f(g) 2 marker after the graph transformations?

ReputationRep:
    What were the two solutions you guys got for the f(g) 2 marker after the graph transformations?
    It was an f(x-something) and I think (-x), or something along those lines.

ReputationRep:

f(rx) where r = -1

f(x + s) where s = 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack1066)
    f(rx) where r = -1

f(x + s) where s = 2
    Ah I got the s value and then for the f(rx) = -4/6 or something

ReputationRep:
    Ah I got the s value and then for the f(rx) = -4/6 or something
    I only wrote 1 solution for that, not reading the bloody question.

At least I get one mark for f(-x). I did also say that r = - 1

I had only 8 minutes or so to check because of the ridiculous number work on the last question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just to throw a quick tangent to this convo (no pun intended ) what do we think (if you're doing it), that the C2 paper will be like. On a resitting marathon of 1 & 2 after disappointments last year (did well on S1 though) and the past 3 C2 papers have been challenging. Would like another one of that mould, keeping the A boundary around the 55-56 mark.

ReputationRep:
    Just to throw a quick tangent to this convo (no pun intended ) what do we think (if you're doing it), that the C2 paper will be like. On a resitting marathon of 1 & 2 after disappointments last year (did well on S1 though) and the past 3 C2 papers have been challenging. Would like another one of that mould, keeping the A boundary around the 55-56 mark.
    Yeah I'm resitting C2 as well. Chances are with this being a nice c1 paper that this c2 paper is gonna **** me over somehow. For some reason I just keep messing up on triangles on C2, and just make general mistakes throughout the paper. Need prep for next Wednesday definitely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.