The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Proxenus
Nah aha

Didn't think it would. :smile:
Nope
I consider my cousins to be my siblings and we are all pretty close so that's just disgusting,would never support it
Original post by RezzBerry
Marriage usually results in children. Said children will be (most likely) disabled. Why would you want that?

That's just a myth. The risk of children being born with a disability is increased by only about 2-4% in comparison to an unrelated couple. It's definitely something that should be taken into consideration, but even marrying someone from the same city as you could potentially increase the risk of a disability in any future children, and even more so if they're from the same town or village.

I think this issue is more relative to ones culture. If you've been raised to think of your cousins as one of your own brothers and sisters, then cousin marriage does seem very strange, in that context.
Wtf is up with all the incest posts today?😝
who cares, if we have same-sex marriage, then it doesnt matter, i know i wouldn't do it, but if people want then sure, i mean the queen did
Reply 66
Yes it is OK.
Reply 67
Why not. Butin my case my cousins are much younger than me and are not willing to marry me
Isn't that incest and therefore illegal?
Original post by sfaraj
who cares, if we have same-sex marriage, then it doesnt matter, i know i wouldn't do it, but if people want then sure, i mean the queen did

:colonhash:

so just because gay marriage has been legalized, then we should legalize everything...
Reply 70
Original post by CheekyYear11
Huh?

Personally I'd say no, I think it's ok to date and have feelings but maybe marriage is going too far, like you close off your family to any outside sources, you don't get any in-laws. It's all just weird and messed up to me.

Oh so in your point of view.. It is 'alright' to use them for your desires and later on dump them. How utterly disgusting!
Option 1. It's just wrong as far as I'm concerned :colonhash:
Original post by Erebor
What's your opinion on marrying your first cousin?

There is good evidence that intermarriage in this form is a significant cause of genetic abnormalities including physical and mental impairment.
Original post by Boondock Saint
That's just a myth. The risk of children being born with a disability is increased by only about 2-4% in comparison to an unrelated couple…

Can you cite a source for that. If the risk is originally 0.02%, then a 2-4% increase is significant (ie 2.02-4.02%).

I have seen figures that suggest that a couple from the British Pakistani community is something like 13 times more likely to have a child with genetic abnormalities, and that a third of children in the UK with serious disabilities come from that community. There may be other issues at play, but the cause is suggested to be the prevalence of intermarriage.
Original post by typonaut
There is good evidence that intermarriage in this form is a significant cause of genetic abnormalities including physical and mental impairment.

Not actually true. Unless this has been repeated over generations the risk is negligible, and even then the risk is similar to having a child over 40, something that most people would never have an issue with.
Aversion to marriage between close family members is mostly cultural rather than having any basis in biology.
I did not know you could marry cousins in the UK. :colondollar:

Erm...I need to think about this more.
Original post by KaminiZindagi

so just because gay marriage has been legalized, then we should legalize everything...

See the problem with legalising it?
Original post by alirs
It's quite common in America, but I wouldn't recommend it.

What's the differences between yeast and a red-neck?
They are both in-bread

Shouldn't that be "similarity" ...?
Reply 78
No no no
Original post by KaminiZindagi

Well, why was gay marriage legalised?

Latest

Trending

Trending