(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Hardly relevant, is it?
    Could be mentioned briefly in passing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Could be mentioned briefly in passing.
    It's totally irrelevant to the purpose of the argument.

It would be nice for somebody pro ei to do what i did and spend a couple of hours putting forward their position and disputing the leave arguments

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

im just on my to a round table at no10 Downing Street so as jammy has said a strong quote in favour of remain that I could read out would be great! Your voice will be literally heard by politicians

ReputationRep:
    It starts in less than an hour so I hope some of you see this!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    It starts in less than an hour so I hope some of you see this!
    You serious!? That's so cool xD Take pics xD (if you can )
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hey guys!

im just on my to a round table at no10 Downing Street so as jammy has said a strong quote in favour of remain that I could read out would be great! Your voice will be literally heard by politicians
    Literally heard and then ignored

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Leave
    Who is backing it?
    Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Michael Caine, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Daniel Hannan

Border control/immigration
    - Opens up the possibility to implement a system to both reduce the numbers of immigrants the country takes in and to improve the quality of said immigrants. Important due to housing crisis, cultural and racial tensions, economy, protection of the working class.

Democracy
    - The EU is a deeply undemocratic system. The only part of the EU able to propose laws is the Comission. The Comission is unelected. You not having any vote in electing those who decide your laws is a total undermining of democracy.

- We have 1/28 seats on the Comission. We have been defeated in every single vote in the Comission since the last general election.

- We are underrepresented in the EU Parliament. Malta has ~15 times more MEPs per capita than we do.

Economy
    - The EU came about as a sinister development of the EEC. The EEC was founded as it was beleived at the time that trading blocs were the future - this is now far less than true. The internet, greater global communications and mass shipping make global trade easy. We can conduct business and trade as easily with Sri Lanka as we can with Europe.

Laws and business
    - See previous point on unelected Comission deciding law.

Free to trade globally
    - We would gain our own seat on the WTO.

- Articles 8 and 50 of the Lisbon treaty, plus WTO rules mean the EU would not be allowed to punitively tarrif the UK.

Control of tax system

Higher living standards

Agriculture
    - Prevents our fisheries being exploited by other EU members.

- Reduces the bureaucracy farmers have to deal with - e.g, the dead cow case.

Feminism
    - Tampons are currently taxed under EU law as a "non-essential" item. It would be illegal for the UK government to make tampons taxed as essential items without the permission of the rest of the EU. This will not be obtained as France recently declined to change the tax on tampons.

(more later, need to go out)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Leave
    Who is backing it?
    Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Michael Caine, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Daniel Hannan

Border control/immigration
    - Opens up the possibility to implement a system to both reduce the numbers of immigrants the country takes in and to improve the quality of said immigrants. Important due to housing crisis, cultural and racial tensions, economy, protection of the working class.

Democracy
    - The EU is a deeply undemocratic system. The only part of the EU able to propose laws is the Comission. The Comission is unelected. You not having any vote in electing those who decide your laws is a total undermining of democracy.

- We have 1/28 seats on the Comission. We have been defeated in every single vote in the Comission since the last general election.

- We are underrepresented in the EU Parliament. Malta has ~15 times more MEPs per capita than we do.

Economy
    - The EU came about as a sinister development of the EEC. The EEC was founded as it was beleived at the time that trading blocs were the future - this is now far less than true. The internet, greater global communications and mass shipping make global trade easy. We can conduct business and trade as easily with Sri Lanka as we can with Europe.

Laws and business
    - See previous point on unelected Comission deciding law.

Free to trade globally
    - We would gain our own seat on the WTO.

- Articles 8 and 50 of the Lisbon treaty, plus WTO rules mean the EU would not be allowed to punitively tarrif the UK.

Control of tax system

Higher living standards

Agriculture
    - Prevents our fisheries being exploited by other EU members.

- Reduces the bureaucracy farmers have to deal with - e.g, the dead cow case.

Feminism
    - Tampons are currently taxed under EU law as a "non-essential" item. It would be illegal for the UK government to make tampons taxed as essential items without the permission of the rest of the EU. This will not be obtained as France recently declined to change the tax on tampons.

(more later, need to go out)
    The VAT business has nothing to do with essential vs non-essential, no matter how many time people say it, the sixth VAT directive outlines what is taxable and it is basically everything, "essential" or not. I would call utilities pretty much as essential as it gets beyond food, still has to be taxed. The only reason we have stuff either exempt or on the nil beyond the directive was a deal made at the time, those things can remain at nil rate or exempt, but nothing can be added.

In terms of exemptions under the directive we have:
    Postal services
    Medical care
    Human organs, blood and milk
    Dentistry
    Supply of goods closely related to welfare and social security work
    Same for young children
    Education, including tuition
    Certain supplies of staff for religious and philosophical institutions relating to some of the above as spiritual welfare
    Charities as long as it does not distort competition
    Sports for non profits (so more charity stuff)
    Cultural stuff with some restrictions applied
    Transport for the sick and injured
    Publicly owned broadcasting

Nothing to do with necessity in the way that people try to argue VAT is about necessity

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The VAT business has nothing to do with essential vs non-essential, no matter how many time people say it, the sixth VAT directive outlines what is taxable and it is basically everything, "essential" or not. I would call utilities pretty much as essential as it gets beyond food, still has to be taxed. The only reason we have stuff either exempt or on the nil beyond the directive was a deal made at the time, those things can remain at nil rate or exempt, but nothing can be added.

In terms of exemptions under the directive we have:
    Postal services
    Medical care
    Human organs, blood and milk
    Dentistry
    Supply of goods closely related to welfare and social security work
    Same for young children
    Education, including tuition
    Certain supplies of staff for religious and philosophical institutions relating to some of the above as spiritual welfare
    Charities as long as it does not distort competition
    Sports for non profits (so more charity stuff)
    Cultural stuff with some restrictions applied
    Transport for the sick and injured
    Publicly owned broadcasting

Nothing to do with necessity in the way that people try to argue VAT is about necessity

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The fact remains that it is illegal for our government to choose the taxation placed on our women for tampons.
    The EU will not budge on the tax.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EuanF)
    The fact remains that it is illegal for our government to choose the taxation placed on our women for tampons.
    The EU will not budge on the tax.
    I know, but people using the essential vs non essential tags is an irritation to me because it is entirely false, there is absolutely no truth in it any more; it may have been the case back in the day but not since the Sixth VAT Directive.

ReputationRep:
    a strong quote in favour of remain
    Not sure that exists
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    snip
    Are there any updates on this, or the plans for a debate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If there's a debate, I'd love to take part
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    If there's a debate, I'd love to take part
    On my side?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    On my side?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope. Remain this time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So with the debate I was thinking it could take place a few days before maybe on the Monday 20th/Tuesday 21st? Do you think evening time would work best for everyone or earlier on?

I can post up a recruitment thread today and see if we can get some teams together- unless someone from the MHoC wanted to do it? I think it seems more fun coming from the community than a member of the CT

Other than that, we just need to elect a few judges/a referee!

ReputationRep:
    So with the debate I was thinking it could take place a few days before maybe on the Monday 20th/Tuesday 21st? Do you think evening time would work best for everyone or earlier on?

I can post up a recruitment thread today and see if we can get some teams together- unless someone from the MHoC wanted to do it? I think it seems more fun coming from the community than a member of the CT

Yes, I think a debate would be very good- get people thinking, and maybe convince some of the undecided nearer the time- and yes evening is probably best!

I'm happy to lend a hand in any way needed, but yes- coming from the community would make it feel more fun!

ReputationRep:
    What I'm interested to know is, with the majority of people leaning towards leave according to pollsters what do people think the outcome will be? I think people will bottle it in the end, then give up our democracy to EU bureaucrats but what about you guys?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

I think early evening is best for most people. How many would we want in each team?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I think early evening is best for most people. How many would we want in each team?
    You'd ideally want people from both the left and right.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.