Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do autistic's get extra time in exams watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Why should they be entitled to it though? Surely in the name of fairness they should be given no advantages to offset disadvantages, particularly given others with disadvantages are not given extra time.
    Are you honestly arguing that an individual with a social and communicational impairment does not deserve extra time in an exam just to satisfy an argument in the interest of 'fairness'?

Why should advantages not be given to disadvantaged individuals to give them a fair chance of achieving the same as everyone else?

There are people at my college who write too slowly; they were timed for 5 minutes on writing a paragraph and if they meet a certain quota of words to deem them as slow writers then they get 20 minutes extra time.

It's none of your business what other people's personal affairs are, despite that your arguing in the defence of 'fairness' because people with disadvantages out of their control do not have the same capabilities that you do. Take your inverted moral compass and find another thread to post invalid arguments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conservationofmass)
    The fact he's a **** about it pisses me off, wouldn't mind if he didn't gloat or be condescending about it.
    He has aspergers, wtf do you expect? Not all people with Aspergers act like this but the most known aspect of it is difficulty in social interaction. Grow up. Your temper tantrum is real boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    maybe the whole school is autistic apart from him
    LMFAOOOOO
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Why should they be entitled to it though? Surely in the name of fairness they should be given no advantages to offset disadvantages, particularly given others with disadvantages are not given extra time.
    It's not an advantage. It's to put us on a level playing field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V ugvg jhi)
    he shouldn't be, thats what the OP is saying, and i agree
    OP is just jealous. He shouldn't be, I have a physical disability, different, I know but I imagine autism is hard too. I get extra time in exams. I'd give that up ANY DAY, to be able to walk normally and to be able to concentrate properly on reading. My disability is mild compared to others and I CAN TELL YOU, even mild disabilities are terrible. And I'll tell you what else makes it WORSE, the lack of understanding among others like yourself. Be grateful for what you BOTH have got instead of complaining about extra time disabled people, who are ENTITLED to extra time get in exams.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It's not an advantage. It's to put us on a level playing field.
    So when do you want people to stop holding your hand, or do you expect hand holding all the way to the grave?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clintbarton)
    This is like someone asking why a amputee deserves a prosthetic.

He has a condition which makes his mind work at a different pace to yours. The fact that your comparing your privilege of social awareness to someone who has a disadvantage because you see the timings in an exam as unfair is quite ignorant. He doesn't have to outwardly display conventional signs of what you understand to be autism to have the condition because the classification system is not defined - there's a whole spectrum. It's very complex.

You said yourself he's socially awkward, which is probably why he does not understand conventions of not boasting about his grades.

I understand your question and your attitude towards him but you could have worded the whole thing a bit better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I take issue with the prosthetic analogy I would say it is more like giving Usain Bolt a 3 second head start at every 100m sprint even though he is faster than all the other sprinters.
    I happen to know the OP and the person in question. I am not in the same class as the OP however I am in the same class as said person for two of my three subjects and two of his FIVE(we were only allowed 4 A-Levels at my school so there already lies an issue in equality). Whilst both of these subjects are essay writing subjects History and Classical Civilisation. The young man, who shall now be referred from this point on as "X" is deserving of extra time as he does struggle with time keeping in these subjects. HOWEVER, I have seen him do maths questions and he is unfathomably quick which is why I can understand OP's frustration at the extra time he gets in that subject.

Furthermore, he is a great fan of gloating, a nigh on pathological liar (I have experienced this first hand), and does like to give you daggers if you achieve a higher mark in assessed work. With regard to the thing about his lying. In Year 8 we learnt about the slave trade. He made a racist comment towards a girl of Bangladeshi decent in my class referencing "her people" being in the show "Roots" which we were watching. Then later in group work proceeded to say "Black people are black because back then they didn't know how to wash." when we pointed out that it was racist due to the fact that we knew Aspergers makes it difficult to understand what is and isn't socially acceptable to say he carried on saying it and every time we told him it was racist he would just laugh. So naturally I asked the teacher if he would explain to X what was wrong with what he was saying, before I could get a word in he said that we were bullying him, we explained what happened however we ended up having to see our head of year because of this idea that he cannot lie. When we told her what X had said she told us that he had vehemently denied it and that because he can't lie we must have been the liars and as such were bullying him. Bang hours detention for us.

ReputationRep:
    So when do you want people to stop holding your hand, or do you expect hand holding all the way to the grave?
    You are ignorant and rude. You have no appreciation for the body and ability you were born with and your unappreciative nature just presents you as someone who thinks they were born with an inherent privilege and that you, for some reason, deserve to be born able-bodied and able-minded. Your close minded view of the world, your inability to see when people are disadvantaged and need help and your indubitable characteristic of complaining about (probably) everything in the notion of 'fairness' shows how much of an elitist pig you are.

Plus, no-one would want to hold your hand, anyway. What's at the end of the hand isn't worth the trouble.

Bye now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You know nothing about that person other than OP's highly biased view, you're assuming they have no disadvantages and surely, if someone deserves extra time they'll get it. OP doesn't even like the guy, of course he's going to say there is nothing wrong with him. I play down my disability a lot, so the person OP's talking about probably claims not to need extra time but really he does. The speed I can complete an exam at highly depends on how I am feeling on the day, likewise with the OP's classmate, Infact its possibly even more the case with autism, just because he can complete one exam in the time doesn't mean he can do the same on another.

ReputationRep:
    this is incredibly ignorant.
    ASD never goes away. you do have it to the grave - while there are ways to help us get around things, it cannot be "cured", as to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BantProliferator)
    I take issue with the prosthetic analogy I would say it is more like giving Usain Bolt a 3 second head start at every 100m sprint even though he is faster than all the other sprinters.
    I happen to know the OP and the person in question. I am not in the same class as the OP however I am in the same class as said person for two of my three subjects and two of his FIVE(we were only allowed 4 A-Levels at my school so there already lies an issue in equality). Whilst both of these subjects are essay writing subjects History and Classical Civilisation. The young man, who shall now be referred from this point on as "X" is deserving of extra time as he does struggle with time keeping in these subjects. HOWEVER, I have seen him do maths questions and he is unfathomably quick which is why I can understand OP's frustration at the extra time he gets in that subject.

Furthermore, he is a great fan of gloating, a nigh on pathological liar (I have experienced this first hand), and does like to give you daggers if you achieve a higher mark in assessed work. With regard to the thing about his lying. In Year 8 we learnt about the slave trade. He made a racist comment towards a girl of Bangladeshi decent in my class referencing her people being in the show "Roots" which we were watching. Then later in group work proceeded to say "Black people are black because back then they didn't know how to wash." when we pointed out that it was racist due to the fact that we knew Aspergers makes it difficult to understand what is and isn't socially acceptable to say he carried on saying it and every time we told him it was racist he would just laugh. So naturally I asked the teacher if he would explain to X what was wrong with what he was saying, before I could get a word in he said that we were bullying him, we explained what happened however we ended up having to see our head of year because of this idea that he cannot lie. When we told her what X had said she told us that he had vehemently denied it and that because he can't lie we must have been the liars and as such were bullying him. Bang hours detention for us.
    That is all well and understood.

I fully understand hesitance towards this person as his diagnosis does not give him justification to act in the obviously unacceptable way he does.

Whilst I understand that perhaps the person in question might have a questionable reputation and personality, I am not simply defending the person in question.

I was attempting to explain the disadvantages of 'autistics' as OP called them and how diagnosis and traits are not visible to everyone. That autistic people have trouble with communication so obviously would require extra time to successfully communicate their ideas. And also that the term 'autistics' probably wasn't the best way to term a group of people who were predisposed to a disadvantage so to be careful with lexical choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Clever or not he's entitled to it. He may be cocky but forget about him and try to beat him.
    Quit worrying about others and improve yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clintbarton)
    That is all well and understood.

I fully understand hesitance towards this person as his diagnosis does not give him justification to act in the obviously unacceptable way he does.

Whilst I understand that perhaps the person in question might have a questionable reputation and personality, I am not simply defending the person in question.

I was attempting to explain the disadvantages of 'autistics' as OP called them and how diagnosis and traits are not visible to everyone. That autistic people have trouble with communication so obviously would require extra time to successfully communicate their ideas. And also that the term 'autistics' probably wasn't the best way to term a group of people who were predisposed to a disadvantage so to be careful with lexical choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Knowing the OP he was probably drunk...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    a kid in my school, has aspergers or whatever it's called. He's more intelligent than anyone in the school, and retains information without doing hardly/much work and get's amazing grades. But the thing that gets me, is that he has an extra half an hour in every exam, despite him getting nearly 100 percent in everything and being predicted A*'s, he's excuse is that it takes his brain longer to function(which is bs he's quicker than everyone in class and is always on the last question when we leave). Then if he beats one of us in an exam, he gets really cocky and gloats about it. I feel this is pretty unfair.
    Why shouldn't I get extra time, I may forget things that may come back to me later...yeah he's a right c u next tuesday about it. thing is he's not like the other kid with aspergers that obviously needs it, like he has to have someone with him all the time and spasms, but this other kid is fine and only thing proper wrong is being socially awkward.
    So you're not really asking 'why do autistics get extra time in exams?' but rather why this one person in particular does.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the individual. I have no diagnosis of Asperger's, but I strongly suspect I have it, and numerous professionals have pretty much said that's the case without, for some reason, feeling the need to go more formal with it. However I have always done very well in exams with no extra time. But I know that a lot of people on the spectrum do have the issues your guy uses supposedly as an excuse. Maybe it is different for him when in more pressured situations. I don't dismiss the notion that he doesn't need it, but at the same time, it's not exactly his fault, and it is pretty inconsequential to everyone else...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by dontudare)
    Extra time = better grades
    Better grades = better job
    better job = more money
    more money = more attractive wife
    Presumably
    Disability= poorer grades
    poorer grades and disability= worse job.
    worse job= less money.
    Less money and disability= less atractive.

Id rather go with the non disabled option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Presumably
    worse job= less money.

Poor personal hygiene of X is also an issue too =less attractive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Presumably
    worse job= less money.

Yes because obviously disabled people are all illiterate and will get poorer grades. What a disgustingly ignorant comment.

And obviously disabled people have a choice, don't they? On whether or not they want to be disabled. I mean, it's totally a choice. (This is sarcasm. I feel I must point this out because people on this thread seem incapable of comprehending simple things.)

What the hell is wrong with people on TSR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I just fail to see how someone having a condition which enhances his intelligence and mathematical ability means he should get more time than the rest of us, especially when he ****ing gloats about it, pisses me right off and more so because you can't say anything to him
    Have you become a professor in autism all of a sudden? There may be other issues which you aren't aware of - people are entitled to privacy, and him getting extra time in no way impacts you and is doing no harm so get over it

ReputationRep:
    Why are you worrying about other people and not yourself?? Successful people don't fret about anyone else's success, concentrate on what you need to do. I understand you and it is painful to watch yourself work hard and only get an A and see other people do no revision and also get an A (core science last year where I got AAAA* and others got something like AA*BB but still ended up with the same grade as me ). I just feel useless sometimes.

Anyhow... you need to do your best and you'll get where you want to be!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2017
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.