Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    No worries - best of luck
    You too!! :~)

ReputationRep:
    That's correct, Chapter 6 is the most likely. What do you think you'd write about, first?

Honestly, no. You should at least touch on all of them. In novels, they fully accept that some are more significant than others. If you did do that, you would be screwing yourself over massively. For example, in Chapter 6 of Gatsby, Time is the most significant. There's little to say about place. But nods at it, such as Lake Superior and Cody's Yacht, are sufficient.
    Touch on ALL of them?? There are so many aspects of narrative though? I've always just picked like 3 and done a paragraph on each (so let's say a paragraph on setting, a paragraph on narrators/voices and a paragraph on characterisation). My teachers have never told me that's an issue. I hope I haven't been doing it wrong this whole time, oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagliatilly)
    Touch on ALL of them?? There are so many aspects of narrative though? I've always just picked like 3 and done a paragraph on each (so let's say a paragraph on setting, a paragraph on narrators/voices and a paragraph on characterisation). My teachers have never told me that's an issue. I hope I haven't been doing it wrong this whole time, oh dear...
    My teacher is an AQA examiner and about 6 of our class of 9 last year achieved 100% UMS. This is what we have been told from day one. Refer to:

Time/Sequence
    Place/Setting
    Character
    Voices
    Point of View
    Destination

Talking about Language, Form and Structure within those categories. PM me if you are panicking and need significant help. I am more than happy to do loads with you today or whenever.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher is an AQA examiner and about 6 of our class of 9 last year achieved 100% UMS. This is what we have been told from day one. Refer to:

Time/Sequence
    Place/Setting
    Character
    Voices
    Point of View
    Destination

Talking about Language, Form and Structure within those categories. PM me if you are panicking and need significant help. I am more than happy to do loads with you today or whenever.
    Well I've been looking through some examiner reports, and I found a bit that said "It is important to explain to students that they should write about some methods, not all"... so surely we can just pick the ones we want to write about, not do them all? Although from what I'm reading I should be focusing a lot more on structure than I am at the moment. I'm not sure how to go about analysing structure to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagliatilly)
    Well I've been looking through some examiner reports, and I found a bit that said "It is important to explain to students that they should write about some methods, not all"... so surely we can just pick the ones we want to write about, not do them all? Although from what I'm reading I should be focusing a lot more on structure than I am at the moment. I'm not sure how to go about analysing structure to be honest...
    Yes, "write about". You should touch on ALL. In some chapters, it may not be possible to do all, in yours it is. That is why they accommodate. Also, people go over the top.

ReputationRep:

Time/Sequence
    Place/Setting
    Character
    Voices
    Point of View
    Destination

this is great advice, do you have any general tips or structure on the essays we have to write, would be great

also what texts are you doing ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maniisha24)
    this is great advice, do you have any general tips or structure on the essays we have to write, would be great

Section A - Little a):

- A brief sentence hugging the story; "Browning's 'The Patriot' tells the story of..."

- Most relevant aspect of narrative.

- All others in corresponding, linking, paragraphs.

- Try and have destination last;

- NO conclusion.

Section A - Little b):

- Sentence as an introduction; define your terms if necessary.

- Debate the question, using AT LEAST 2 POEMS! if you do poetry in Section A.

- "Blah... However, blah." Or "Blah... On the other hand."

- Brief conclusion.

Section B:

- Brief intro'; defining terms if necessary.

- Debate your question, giving at least two dense paragraphs to each text.

- Brief conclusion.

Remember that Section B's usually relate to one or more Aspects of Narrative. Underline key terms and pick your texts carefully. Read all questions relevant to you, before writing because that may tell you what you do in Section A as Section B may lend itself to certain texts over another.

ReputationRep:
    Browning, Gatsby, Tennyson and Enduring Love.

ReputationRep:
    Browning, Gatsby, Tennyson and Enduring Love.
    do you have any predictions of the tennyson questions in section A and do you have any revision material on the browning poems, i feel like im going to do that in section B as that is my weakest one but finding it difficult to write about in terms of finding alternative interpretations

ReputationRep:
    Section A - Little a):

- Try and have destination last;

what do you mean by destination?

ReputationRep:
    do you have any predictions of the tennyson questions in section A and do you have any revision material on the browning poems, i feel like im going to do that in section B as that is my weakest one but finding it difficult to write about in terms of finding alternative interpretations
    Tennyson in Section A is likely to be either The Lady of Shalott, Part I or The Lady of Shalott, Part II. However, it is also likely that Godiva could be the Little A.

I have only done four of the 7 Browning poems because that's all my school wanted us to do. I don't really have revision materials to be honest - I just do my own by hand!

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by destination?
    Destination: Where is the story going? Is anything implied, anticipated or foreshadowed?

This is possibly the very least important one.

ReputationRep:
    Tennyson in Section A is likely to be either The Lady of Shalott, Part I or The Lady of Shalott, Part II. However, it is also likely that Godiva could be the Little A.

I have only done four of the 7 Browning poems because that's all my school wanted us to do. I don't really have revision materials to be honest - I just do my own by hand!
    Write about the significance of suspense used in the three texts

Ohh, can you give me guidance on this question then ive planned out this essay question but again struggling with browning

ive spoke about my last duchess and how this is in the form of a dramatic monologue sustains the suspense. Although the Duke is the host, and showing off his art collection we can gradully see thyat there is something amiss with his relationship towards his dead wife, perhaps he killed her . etc

but another poem that would support this view

ReputationRep:
    What do u think may come up for gatsby for section A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge;[url="tel:64734865")
    64734865[/url]]Who is taking this paper? I'm taking it again to boost my UMS.

My texts are:

1. Enduring Love by Ian McEwan
    2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    3. Browning's Anthology
    4. Tennyson's Anthology

Do you have any thoughts about what could come up? Discuss away!

How are u preparing for section A for gatsby?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherryblossom18)
    How are u preparing for section A for gatsby?
    Hey,

Have a read through the thread as your questions have already been answered .

Cheers,

Jay

ReputationRep:
    What can you say about voices? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's correct, Chapter 6 is the most likely. What do you think you'd write about, first?

Honestly, no. You should at least touch on all of them. In novels, they fully accept that some are more significant than others. If you did do that, you would be screwing yourself over massively. For example, in Chapter 6 of Gatsby, Time is the most significant. There's little to say about place. But nods at it, such as Lake Superior and Cody's Yacht, are sufficient.

Hi,

I definitely feel like the use of flashbacks (i.e. structure and time) are key in this chapter, and they serve to develop on the characterisation of Gatsby. I'd probably also develop on this by saying that Nick acknowledges how he's telling this now to dispel the rumours, and even says to Tom that Gatsby isn't a bootlegger, as a way of trying to shape our perception of Gatsby into a more positive one.

I'd probably also discuss this chapter as setting up the downfall and tragedy of the next chapter, i.e. the extended mediation on the nature of the past at the end.

But I feel like that's very limited, it's one of those chapters where I feel like I'll focus too much on the flashbacks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling with what to revise for section B and how to trucutre my answer to the section B question.
    ?
    My texts are Gatsby, Kite Runner and Rossetti - what would you say are the key things to revise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ribbon123)
    What can you say about voices? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A lot. It depends on the text. Narrative Voice (dramatic monologues, third person or first person narration), creation of character through voice, setting of tone in poems through voice etc.etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.