Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I too agree that air travel in the north will increase but there's simply not the demand to create a new airport there with Manchester airport barely 50% of capacity and not desiring a new runway before 2030 at a minimum. If they request expansion though i can assure you that this ministry will not stand in their way.

Right now we have two airports above 90% capacity and wanting to expand.. Gatwick and Heathrow. I think we should get out the way and let them.
    Thank you. I support this bill!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Agreed, but let's just not forget that the north is a big place which will benefit also. Perhaps we could start looking into a new Airport for the north is this bill goes through.
    I would say we should consider it even if this bill is unsuccessful, the air industry is vital for the nation and we should do everything to make sure it is as successful as possible.

I do however think we should work with the current airports and increase the amount of movements first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I would say we should consider it even if this bill is unsuccessful, the air industry is vital for the nation and we should do everything to make sure it is as successful as possible.
    It will also do wonders for the local economies and bring about greater opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    It will also do wonders for the local economies and bring about greater opportunities.
    It could but we would have to ensure that the demand would be there first and then also consider the wider affects of this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you. I support this bill!

I do however think we should work with the current airports and increase the amount of movements first.
    You mean that you oppose this motion (it wants to limit expansion) and support my incoming bill allowing expansion at those airports which desire it.

I'll draw it up in the next few days and quote you all in my department thread.

ReputationRep:
    You mean that you oppose this motion (it wants to limit expansion) and support my incoming bill allowing expansion at those airports which desire it.

Absolutely
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    @The Fin

(Original post by The Financier)
    Likewise. I can get a train to Gatwick directly from my university and it's the airport I depart from usually when I'm off to another country so naturally I would favour an expansion of Gatwick. Nevertheless, completely ruling out an expansion of Heathrow for NIMBY reasons is ridiculous.
    Likewise. I can get a train to Gatwick directly from my university and it's the airport I depart from usually when I'm off to another country so naturally I would favour an expansion of Gatwick. Nevertheless, completely ruling out an expansion of Heathrow for NIMBY reasons is ridiculous.
    Boom yeh!

ReputationRep:
    I am not arguing NIMBY reasons. I am arguing noise and environmental reasons, and that it will lead to one airline and its codeshare partners having too much power.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I look forward to this bill, I hope it rules out the Heathrow Hub idea which is bonkers, introduces 24 hour flights, and build more terminals because British Airways is restricted at the small Terminal 5.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I am not arguing NIMBY reasons. I am arguing noise and environmental reasons, and that it will lead to one airline and its codeshare partners having too much power.
    Noise and environment IS NIMBY

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    And how do you plan to spread them out. What on earth makes you think that consumers will fly to Doha from Carslile just because the state in its infinite wisdom believes its a good idea. What kind of demand analysis suggests that you can pick and choose where to stick flights and that's even ignoring the fact that airlines and airports are both private firms.

Whether the locals like it or not they chose to live next to a fracking airport, to benefit from the high house prices and easy links. If the owners of both Gatwick and Heathrow are prepared to put their money where their mouth is then it suggests that the demand exists in London whether you would rather it was in Newcastle or not so have the state get out the fracking way so that we can get the jobs and growth we need to create prosperity for the natiun.
    While most flights currently leave from Manchester and London airports holidays are more expensive for us that live miles away from those airports. I'll use Manchester as an example because it is closer. For me to get to Manchester Airport by car it is 124 miles; assuming 35 miles per gallon and 96.9 pence per litre that adds up to £15.61. But now you've got to park the car somewhere for a week or however long you're on holiday. For a seven day holiday the cheapest package is £29.99, and then you've got to get home, which is another £15.61. In total that's £61.21 to add on. Which is why I've only flown three times, we simply can't afford it.

My argument is as follows: why should people living in the North East of the UK be forced to fork out this extra expense, when even Grimsby has a local airport?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Andy98)
    While most flights currently leave from Manchester and London airports holidays are more expensive for us that live miles away from those airports. I'll use Manchester as an example because it is closer. For me to get to Manchester Airport by car it is 124 miles; assuming 35 miles per gallon and 96.9 pence per litre that adds up to £15.61. But now you've got to park the car somewhere for a week or however long you're on holiday. For a seven day holiday the cheapest package is £29.99, and then you've got to get home, which is another £15.61. In total that's £61.21 to add on. Which is why I've only flown three times, we simply can't afford it.

My argument is as follows: why should people living in the North East of the UK be forced to fork out this extra expense, when even Grimsby has a local airport?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because if the demand for a Grimsby-Doha route existed then it would exist. Your also assuming that the owners of Grimsby airport would be able to fund the infrastructure and maintenance to the degree of Manchester to lower the cost.

I'm not trying to stop northern airports expanding if they wish but i'm simply saying that it should not be either/or.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You do know us peasants in the north east do have airports don't you?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    You actually serious!?

ReputationRep:
    I feel so sorry for any people holidaying in the UK who fly a route which lands in Grimsby...
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Because if the demand for a Grimsby-Doha route existed then it would exist. Your also assuming that the owners of Grimsby airport would be able to fund the infrastructure and maintenance to the degree of Manchester to lower the cost.

I'm not trying to stop northern airports expanding if they wish but i'm simply saying that it should not be either/or.
    Well maybe I was being a bit idealistic. I'd just like to go on a holiday that can't be driven to at some point.

I'm one of them....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I feel so sorry for any people holidaying in the UK who fly a route which lands in Grimsby...
    It's actually classed as Humberside airport and is based in Kirmington, which is about 10 miles away from Grimsby.

Not that Grimsby is bad as people make it out to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    This is in cessation
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Division! Clear the Lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.