Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    You said that people should vote as a show of respect for our past generations who 'fought and died for your right to choose'.
    No I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    All the more reason to go out and vote so their stupidity is countered.

I absolutely agree, but how would you see it implemented?
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    Who is more able? How do you measure it?

Are less abled people those who disagree with your views?
    We could have some sort of knowledge test.

ReputationRep:
    I know the topic was "Not going to vote in the EU referendum?" but since everyone else is discussing leave or remain, I thought I'd join in.
    The EU does not have any benefits that cannot be argued against - for example, the Remain side's biggest argument is trade. Does anyone really believe that trade will cease following a vote to leave? The UK will be free to set up their own trade agreements with most countries in the world. Trade will not stop with the EU - even if there's tariffs in place (which would not benefit the UK, or the EU), taking back our seat at the WTO will make sure we aren't thrashed.
    There's so many negatives, as opposed to positives, of the EU, I would literally write a whole page on it, and why we should vote leave.

ReputationRep:
    vote leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpe Diem Jay)
    Ah.
    Effectively the same as not voting though?
    its basically so your lack of voting is deliberate and the record reflects that, whereas if you didn't turn up then the turnout would be less but the voting would show a more consistent record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Oh come on, just use common sense. The UK is small, has an undiversified economy, and is reliant on export. Cutting ties with the neighbors (even if it's just for 5 years until new treaties are in place) is just suicide.
    If it was that simple there wouldn't be an argument for leaving. -_- It's also the sort of one sided view point I was complaining about.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh come on, just use common sense. The UK is small, has an undiversified economy, and is reliant on export. Cutting ties with the neighbors (even if it's just for 5 years until new treaties are in place) is just suicide.
    We're only the fifth biggest Economy in the world, second in Europe (that statements standing for England alone too) with the strongest military in Europe, second in the world, the most soft power in the world and with our mother tongue being that of most international stuff and less reliant on exports than our neighbours which we aren't actually cutting ties with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    vote remain unless you're stupid or xenophobic. if you want to leave the EU go and leave europe completely, none of the rest of us europeans like you anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by wobuaini)
    vote remain unless you're stupid or xenophobic. if you want to leave the EU go and leave europe completely, none of the rest of us europeans like you anyway.
    Sounds like somebody's being a bigot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so you want about 50% of the UK population to leave? ok mate ...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not interested in voting I'm apolitical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milzime)
    nah britain is too apathetic <3
    Honestly, this is half the reason we have to vote out. If we vote remain we're openly admitting we can be governed by fear, that our democracy can be bought for a slight amount of money, that we're willing to trade greatness for perceived security.

Someone who'd do that deserves neither greatness nor security.

ReputationRep:
    Would you please like to say what is stupid or xenophobic about voting out without just throwing more ad hominems?

Honestly, nearly every in-voter i've seen is exactly this sort of lazy thinking where they associate Brexit with the BNP and aren't interested in not being bigoted on the issue.

ReputationRep:
    The only EU nation we had a trade surplus with last year was Ireland. All our other surpluses were with non EU nations. Switzerland was our greatest surplus.
    All our trade deficits last year were with EU nations.

Conclusion? The EU exports to the UK more than the UK sells to the EU. Regional trading blocs are no longer the future, let alone the present. The EU/EEC was conceived at a time when it seemed like regional trade blocs would be the future, before the advent of the internet and mass shipping.

The UK is a huge export market for the EU. They will not stop trading. Articles 8 and 50 of the Lisbon agreement, plus our newly gained seat on the WTO will guarantee this.

ReputationRep:
    "vote remain unless you're stupid or xenophobic. if you want to leave the EU go and leave europe completely, none of the rest of us europeans like you anyway."

It is not stupid or xenophobic to want to control EU immigration, it is actually responsible. So by your reasoning every country outside the EU is xenophobic for having some sort of immigration control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Anyone who is eligible to vote but still doesn't should be ashamed of themselves.
    Exactly, so many people have fought for our right to vote and not to do so is like a kick in the teeth to them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adamhill3)
    Exactly, so many people have fought for our right to vote and not to do so is like a kick in the teeth to them.
    But they also fought for the right to choose not to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But they also fought for the right to choose not to vote.
    People should be grateful that we live in a democracy and you can chose to vote and not to vote but I think that the type of people not to vote are very often those to moan about having politicians who don’t represent them (yes, that’s often the case though)

I believe that we should have to vote BUT you should be able to choose to abstain (almost like an opposite to signing up to vote but 1 abstain = 1 election/referendum and has to be renewed) and if you do want to vote, there should be a box for ‘None of these parties/candidates represent me.’
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adamhill3)
    People should be grateful that we live in a democracy and you can chose to vote and not to vote but I think that the type of people not to vote are very often those to moan about having politicians who don’t represent them (yes, that’s often the case though)

I believe that we should have to vote BUT you should be able to choose to abstain (almost like an opposite to signing up to vote but 1 abstain = 1 election/referendum and has to be renewed) and if you do want to vote, there should be a box for ‘None of these parties/candidates represent me.’
    That's also called not voting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    We're only the fifth biggest Economy in the world
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. And why risk that with a leap into the unknown? Clearly, being in Europe has not been the ball and chain to our economy as the out campaign would like us to think. If we were the 100th biggest economy, leaving the EU might be a good way of improving our lot. But right now, we only stand to lose what has been hard fought for surely?

And BTW - the UK is not the second military power in the world. Depending on how you judge it, China, Russia, India, France, Japan, Italy, South Korea and of course, the US are all strong contenders.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.