Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Define a biological woman.

Genetics: Not that simple: Intersex conditions, genetic mosaic.
    Genitals: Not that simple: Intersex conditions, hermaphroditism.
    Hormones: Not that simple: Androgen insensitivity, naturally different hormone levels anyway...

And I also don't think you're checking all of those three things on the first date. Maybe the middle one depending on how the date went and the consent of both parties, but beyond that it's just a guessing game isn't it?
    A biological woman is someone who was born without any form of male genitalia/reproductive organs?

(Original post by minimarshmallow)
    I'm not saying you can't be turned off by something, just that there isn't one thing that trans* people as a whole possess, so I don't know what the thing is that you're turned off by...
    Au contraire: being trans* is something that all trans* people have in common.

In all seriousness there isn't a specific thing I could put my finger on that I find particularly unattractive about transgender people - I have nothing against them (obviously, that would be transphobic). Just generally the notion turns me off romantically, it's as much a mystery to me as why this happens. I don't think there is a definitive and conclusive logical explanation anywhere here to be quite honest, it's just a thing that happens

Nope, I wanna reproduce with my partner so that it's both of ours

ReputationRep:
    I can't say yes, but I can't say no. It's all in the cards, so to speak.

(Original post by tanyapotter)
    having "actual genuine certified women-bits" does not constitute being a "real woman". obviously you are entitled to your sexual preferences, but there is a far less transphobic, less malicious way of phrasing this
    Tell you what, let's put a "phobic" in there to make me look evil and non-acceptiong; accuse me of "hate speech."

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Nope.

It's hard for me to say without sounding ignorant, since I've never been exposed to trans communities in real life, talked to trans people and understood their circumstances.

At the moment, I'd have to say no based on my orientation (assumed) and being somewhat uncomfortable at the idea of having relations with someone who was previously the opposite gender. I don't care if that's bigoted or prejudicial for some people, that's just the way it is at the moment. There's no room for politically-correct claptrap in my private life, and I think people should be free to voice their personal preferences if they're not attacking individuals, without being labelled as "phobic". That term has now become meaningless..

Who knows, I think about orientation and whether or not it always stays the same, viewpoints change as well once you become accustomed to new surroundings. I'll keep my mind open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smallville987)
    Ew no, trans people have a mental illness in them thinking they're the opposite friggin gender.
    Smallville? are you describing your brain? Being trans is not a mental illness, its not even recognized as a illness by any reasonably scientific study.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that it would really bother me as long as they do look like the sex that they want to be and not just like they are in drag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    They'll always have male bits, you just can't see it
    You realise that anatomically speaking a penis is just a vagina thats come out of the body right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Tell you what, let's put a "phobic" in there to make me look evil and non-acceptiong; accuse me of "hate speech."
    LOL. +1 (ran out for some reason...)

those 'phobic' things really do have a way of creeping up on you and trying to get you to shut an opinion of yours (even though it would be justified given the situation) up and make you feel guilty at the same time. nasty stuff.

as to OP, no. i wouldn't feel comfortable with the concept. i can't bring my brain round to accept the fact that the person up for 'dating debate', had been a man (pre/post op). it's just the way it is. the sex organs would also be a defining bit for me as well. in any case, i'd walk out. i'd prefer the ones i'm dating to have been a female, up until before, during and after i'm dating them. you know, preferences and all that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    No, because I want children
    What if you have children with your husband and then get divorced. Would you date a trans person then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Nope, I wanna reproduce with my partner so that it's both of ours
    So you will leave your partner if it turns out they are infertile?

ReputationRep:
    I would, I'm more about personality and like to have an open mind. I also would be perfectly fine with the no sex/kids situation as well.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. It's not their fault, it's just me feeling a bit uncomfortable with it.

ReputationRep:
    If I like him/her

ReputationRep:
    Realise that trans people still have the sex chromosomes they were born with. A male trans would have the XX sex chromosome and the female trans would have the XY sex chromosome
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if I was attracted to them and all the normal criteria. However, if I was in a relationship with a guy (I'm a straight woman) and he turned female, I would fully support him but I doubt be able to keep up the relationship as I really am not attracted to other women.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.