Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epic within)
    I shifted the demand curve for some reason
    I was literally about to do that but then read the question again. Hopefully you didn't loose too many marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBajwa)
    It could actually be A. I put B but if demand for tea goes up. Demand for cofee will go down causing a lower price causing lower producer surplus. Thats quite complicated though. B seemed obvious.
    question asked what increased producer surplus for coffee, technology improvements would reduce costs of productions and shift S curve to the right increasing producer surplus, option A reduces it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    question asked what increased producer surplus for coffee, technology improvements would reduce costs of productions and shift S curve to the right increasing producer surplus, option A reduces it
    Yep^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LevelEconomist)
    I was literally about to do that but then read the question again. Hopefully you didn't loose too many marks?
    I know you get 1 mark for drawing the basic demand and supply diagram and get 1 mark for using the data, better than 0

ReputationRep:
    Tea and coffee are substitutes. Advertising for tea would increase demand for tea (as advertising has a positive effect on demand) and subsequently a fall in demand for coffee and a fall in producer surplus
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Feel like a bit of a mug for missing out the second 14 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yh you are right and I put that in the exam. That other guy just confused me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Feel like a bit of a mug for missing out the second 14 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the one on tradable pollution permits?

ReputationRep:
    So for the MCQ we have answers to:

The PPF question- the answer was that producing more capital goods would lead to economic growth

The YED question about meats- Fish has a higher YED than meat

The buffer stock question- the government would sell from its stockpile

The price mechanism question- acts as a signal for firms to make production decisions

The question about Ibiza- decrease in revenue as demand is elastic

The question about a rise in producer surplus- increase in technology will increase producer surplus

The externality question- there would be a net welfare gain

The free market/ market failure question- the under provision of public goods.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Amrazing98)
    Tea and coffee are substitutes. Advertising for tea would increase demand for tea (as advertising has a positive effect on demand) and subsequently a fall in demand for coffee and a fall in producer surplus
    Yes but it was about an increase in producer surplus. You'd still get marks tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes but it was about an increase in producer surplus. You'd still get marks tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly my point. so surely the advertisement for tea couldn't have increased surplus like everyone else is saying
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So out of eight MCQ we have answers to:

The PPF question- the answer was that producing more capital goods would lead to economic growth

The price mechanism question- acts as a signal for firms to make production decisions

The question about a rise in producer surplus- increase in technology will increase producer surplus

There are twobquestions left... One had an externality diagram and I forgot the other one??
    2nd one is the wrong way around Meat > Fish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

There are two questions left... One had an externality diagram and I forgot the other one??
    one was that in the free market economy there are under provision of public goods or something like that

ReputationRep:
    2nd one is the wrong way around Meat > Fish.
    All I remember is that that one of them had a YED of 1.2 or something so it made that good more elastic than the other one. I can't remember the exact question...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

There are two questions left... One had an externality diagram and I forgot the other one??
    The externality one was about vaccinations and it had different scenarios and I think it said if they produced a certain amount, it would reach the social optimum point and the external benefit would be internalised, that's what I put for that one

ReputationRep:
    one was that in the free market economy there are under provision of public goods or something like that
    Yes I put market failure occurs when public goods like strew lighting is under provided.

ReputationRep:
    All I remember is that that one of them had a YED of 1.2 or something so it made that good more elastic than the other one. I can't remember the exact question...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, it was like fish had an income elasticity of 0.7 or something, making it inelastic and meat had 1.2 so it was bigger and elastic as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilia_claire)
    The externality one was about vaccinations and it had different scenarios and I think it said if they produced a certain amount, it would reach the social optimum point and the external benefit would be internalised, that's what I put for that one
    It said something about the price mechanism ?? I didn't put that one..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it was like fish had an income elasticity of 0.7 or something, making it inelastic and meat had 1.2 so it was bigger and elastic as well
    I remember putting option D down.....

ReputationRep:
    wasn't it if they increase the amount of vaccines, there would be a net welfare gain

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.