The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

I've moved this thread to the biology exams forum :smile:

There's also an unofficial mark scheme and more chat about this exam here if anyone is interested :h:
Reply 61
I thought the exam was poorly compiled with a lot of the major subjects like IVF, Adult Cell Cloning, Hormones etc. were not put in. I 6 marker was easy (common sense) but it did say on the spec that you did not need to learn why the body needs them :grin:... I think for that reason the board will get complains and Grade Boundaries may go down. Other then that I think the exam was okay but it took a while to understand what they wanted. What did you guys get for the reason why the CO2 levels leveled off after a while?
Original post by cricketoo566
It is 67% mate! You divided 2x10tothepower6 / 3x10thepower8 and then times the result by 100 for a percentage which gives you two thirds

no its not.
Reply 63
I did not like that exam at all, it's destroyed my faith in the science exams which I was previously quite confident about :frown:

I feel as though it was really different from past papers, the questions were really vague, and also when on Earth did we learn about 'independent companies'? This is Biology NOT bussiness studies!
Original post by dausa99
I thought the exam was poorly compiled with a lot of the major subjects like IVF, Adult Cell Cloning, Hormones etc. were not put in. I 6 marker was easy (common sense) but it did say on the spec that you did not need to learn why the body needs them :grin:... I think for that reason the board will get complains and Grade Boundaries may go down. Other then that I think the exam was okay but it took a while to understand what they wanted. What did you guys get for the reason why the CO2 levels leveled off after a while?

I said that microbes are produced in the decay process which respire releasing co2 and then they levelled off because the grass had completely decomposed

Posted from TSR Mobile
I literally revised everything on the specification In a great deal of detail. Yet I found the exam very hard! In the specification It just mentions one point about GM Crops, NOT GM INSECTS!! I know its a similar theory but to put 4 marks on that is wrong, just like the independent company question. Lots of questions were just worded very weirdly which made a lot of questions very hard to answer. However some questions were easy for example the 6 mark question has been one of the easiest one I've ever seen. I just hope the other Unit 1 tests aren't as bad and I can make it up on Unit 2&3. Also low grade boundaries would be nice.
I would like to send an open letter to AQA or email them - WHO'S WITH ME
Original post by jazz_xox_
I did this too, it seemed too much of a small number. I think we would get 1/2 marks.

I did 0.67 but everyone else was saying it was 67

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just counted my marks with help of the unofficial mark scheme and I got 19/60...
two thirds is 0.6 recurring
Reply 70
Original post by Melville140
I found it okay actually, I didn't put calcium into the 6 marker which I'm annoyed about now but I put in vitamins and everything else in :/. The very last question over a different way of using an indicator was hard :/ what's an indicator you can use for sulfur dioxide/air pollution? Does anyone know??

an indicator of air pollution would be lichen and water pollution is things like blood worm and rat tailed maggots
Original post by Jamie Vardy
THAT WAS THE WORST PAPER EVER!

"What is meant by an independent company?" - obvious but not a question that I'd like to see on a Biology paper. AQA are a shitty business and this question just showed it with a disgusting 1 marker like this. BUSINESS STUDIES AND BIOLOGY DO NOT OVERLAP AT GCSE; STICK TO THE ****ING SPEC YOU MONGS LIKE YOU DID BACK IN 2011 OR WHATEVER.

TO EVERYONE WHO DID EXAMS PRE-2014, YOU HAD IT ****ING EASY!

WHAT THE ACTUAL ****?!

literally :frown:
Original post by kiroza
an indicator of air pollution would be lichen and water pollution is things like blood worm and rat tailed maggots

I wrote that invertebrates indicate water pollution. In the second part, I wrote that a high percentage of invertebrates would indicate that the water isn't polluted whilst a low percentage would indicate pollution. Is that correct??
Reply 73
Original post by amyneavepurser
I said that microbes are produced in the decay process which respire releasing co2 and then they levelled off because the grass had completely decomposed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same and its says on the Unoffical Mark scheme that its correct! :smile:
Reply 74
To be fair I did okay in it, I answered every question so I've tried my best, but I feel like I wasted my time memorising things like adult cell cloning and the menstrual cycle and things like that were not even included in the test paper, and then a word I've never even heard being brought up in Biology as a question "What is an independent company" which was a bit crap but nonetheless I'm sure everyone did fine as long as you tried your hardest really.
To everyone who thinks the didn't do well, don't worry! We still have 50% of the GCSE to do!
What is the grade boundries
Reply 77
Original post by TrumpIsFancy
I wrote that invertebrates indicate water pollution. In the second part, I wrote that a high percentage of invertebrates would indicate that the water isn't polluted whilst a low percentage would indicate pollution. Is that correct??

i dont see why that wouldn't be correct, i think you'll probably get the mark tho :smile:
Reply 78
Omg that paper was just disgusting, it's soo annoying that basic topics were not on the test. Like the carbon cycle and pathogens. I dissed most of the graph questions too:s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Jamie Vardy
THAT WAS THE WORST PAPER EVER!

"What is meant by an independent company?" - obvious but not a question that I'd like to see on a Biology paper. AQA are a shitty business and this question just showed it with a disgusting 1 marker like this. BUSINESS STUDIES AND BIOLOGY DO NOT OVERLAP AT GCSE; STICK TO THE ****ING SPEC YOU MONGS LIKE YOU DID BACK IN 2011 OR WHATEVER.

TO EVERYONE WHO DID EXAMS PRE-2014, YOU HAD IT ****ING EASY!

WHAT THE ACTUAL ****?!

At least you won the Prem mate #havingaparty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending