Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana00)
    So you're just selfish and you only consider your personal job preferences (which may never materialise) as opposed to looking at the wider picture?

I'm unfortunately too young to vote but to me it is crystal clear that Britain ought to leave the EU; I am sick of all the scaremongering from the Remain campaign!!
    Nah, it's not just me. It's for all my friends in uni right now too, and those who have graduated. No one wants to get stuck on benefits ever. The entire future generations depend on this vote. We simply don't have enough jobs to go around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16characterlimit)
    Kind of like Trump.
    What's your deal with Trump? Are you one of those kind of politically "active" people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    Nah, it's not just me. It's for all my friends in uni right now too, and those who have graduated. No one wants to get stuck on benefits ever. The entire future generations depend on this vote. We simply don't have enough jobs to go around.
    Now, I wonder what correlation the lack of jobs has to do with our joining the EU and rapidly declining industry?

ReputationRep:
    The fact that 'it's not just you' who thinks like that makes the situation even more worrying - also, how would there be more jobs if we were to stay in the EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    And funded hugely by the EU.

"Between 2009 and 2015, the CBI received £955,484 from the European Commission. This equates to 12% of the CBI’s retained income in the same period."
    Hold on a minute, the EU is supporting our industry, our jobs, and the 190 000 businesses the CBI represents? Darn, I thought they were just trying to steal our money this entire time. Yes, I think I remember someone earlier in the thread saying that. Ah well, guess your statement just proved them wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    You realise Obama is out of office this year, right? He isn't relevant.
    His successor Clinton has said the same thing (and yes, it will be Clinton- you don't become president through upsetting half he population)

Obama is very relevant- even though polling showed that the UK didn't appreciate him coming here and having a view on what trade policies the U.S. Will have with Britain (the sheer audacity of the man...) he us still leagues above any British politician in terms of popularity with the British public.

ReputationRep:
    I think a non-biased source should present the information for everyone voting because quite frankly, some people don't even know where the UK or Europe is on a map, let alone why they should make a key once in a life time decision that will affect future generations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Now, I wonder what correlation the lack of jobs has to do with our joining the EU and rapidly declining industry?
    Industry declines anyway. Whether we were in the EU or not, competition has forced us out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    What's your deal with Trump? Are you one of those kind of politically "active" people?
    He's and embarrassment, a fool, a loser. Can't and wont do half the **** he promised. Hes a danger to world security, hes a danger to the UK and US economy and a general douchebag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    His successor Clinton has said the same thing (and yes, it will be Clinton- you don't become president through upsetting half he population)

Obama is very relevant- even though polling showed that the UK didn't appreciate him coming here and having a view on what trade policies the U.S. Will have with Britain (the sheer audacity of the man...) he us still leagues above any British politician in terms of popularity with the British public.
    Clinton and Trump are polling pretty evenly, it's too early to call it yet.

ReputationRep:
    Hold on a minute, the EU is supporting our industry, our jobs, and the 190 000 businesses the CBI represents? Darn, I thought they were just trying to steal our money this entire time. Yes, I think I remember someone earlier in the thread saying that. Ah well, guess your statement just proved them wrong
    He also admitted to the EU funding something, gasp!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    You realise Obama is out of office this year, right? He isn't relevant.
    FINALLY - I've found someone who also realises this!

ReputationRep:
    It's not just them- NATO, our other allies, our universities, our trade unions, etc etc all are in the pockets of the EU apart from Trump and Putin who have our best interests at heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana00)
    The fact that 'it's not just you' who thinks like that makes the situation even more worrying - also, how would there be more jobs if we were to stay in the EU?
    More access to jobs. Not more jobs. Sure, there are many jobs linked to the EU, and sure there will be sudden and sustained unemployment in the immediate time after leaving, but things would stabilise again in the long run (I honestly think a few years would be sufficient). The only difference is that it would be harder to access the wide range of jobs out there in foreign countries if we left.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just them- NATO, our other allies, our universities, our trade unions, etc etc all are in the pockets of the EU apart from Trump and Putin who have our best interests at heart.
    what the actual ****

do you genuinely believe that?

ReputationRep:
    That's all well and good but the real issue is the impact on the economy and especially certain sectors of the economy, such as financial services. Some of the largest corporations have already warned that they will reduce the amount of business they do in the UK if we leave the EU- for example, certain banks have warned that they might cut jobs in the UK and move some people to Paris.

Also, the EU is a massive market for us- we trade so much with the other EU countries and I don't see how Brexit can possibly have a positive impact on this. In fact, hundreds of thousands of jobs are at stake.

Not to mention that we get £10 back for every £1 that we invest into the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Clinton and Trump are polling pretty evenly, it's too early to call it yet.
    Corbyn is ten times more likely to win the GE than Trump is to become president. It is simply not possible without some sort of civil war

ReputationRep:
    Vote to stay in.

Because those who are voting out appear to be genuinely stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16characterlimit)
    what the actual ****

do you genuinely believe that?
    See my other posts (no, but they all seem)

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn is ten times more likely to win the GE than Trump is to become president. It is simply not possible without some sort of civil war
    Most of the people anti-Trump are the sort that hate guns, they're not going to be starting any American civil wars.

But enough about the USA, and enough about the dry, banal topic of economy.

This country is not simply a business. We're in the great game that is statehood - letting ourselves being governed by a foreign government and absorbed slowly until we're about as important as a small US state is just giving up and refusing to play the game because oh, it's so awfully hard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.