Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Speaker Election (May 2016) - Round 2 Watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected Speaker?
    Saracen's Fez
    53.66%
    Airmed
    46.34%

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I'd probably be more comfortable with them taking power through a successful VoNC as they could have done that as a coalition anyway (unless they had already been VoNCed earlier in the term).
    Agreed.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I commend Airmed for not dropping out, however, the rational thing would be to withdraw if losing heavily, Airmed not withdrawing implies the poll is closer than members of the MHoC think; Airmed would be able to view the poll in her role as a Support Team member.
    If you truly believe Airmed would act like this please leave. I thought you left anyway? Why medel in this? Are you just trying to start a argument? I believe that Airmed wouldn't view the poll, I think she is capable of not looking at something that is supposed to be secret.

Besides, she's on her phone anyway, it's hard to navigate TSR on your phone as a normal user.

ReputationRep:
    I see you are still around as the resident worthless, ghost MP of the Liberals who posts when some drama arises with a friend of yours, but you are missing the point. The point is this, it is reasonable to suggest a Support Team member has seen a poll because human instinct to see personal performance is very strong, the temptation to do something that you can do but other members cannot do is irresistible, and the way TSR works could mean that all Support Team members see secret polls as normal polls, meaning Airmed has no choice but to view the results.
    Maybe part of the reason we have so many ghost MPs is you using words like 'worthless' to refer to people. FWIW I take your point about why Airmed might know the results, but I don't think that translates to a situation where she would pull out even if losing heavily.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    I see you are still around as the resident worthless, ghost MP of the Liberals who posts when some drama arises with a friend of yours, but you are missing the point. The point is this, it is reasonable to suggest a Support Team member has seen a poll because human instinct to see personal performance is very strong, the temptation to do something that you can do but other members cannot do is irresistible, and the way TSR works could mean that all Support Team members see secret polls as normal polls, meaning Airmed has no choice but to view the results.
    As far I'm aware, you're incorrect in this assumption - if an ST has powers in this area, they can choose to see the poll by clicking a button and being taken to the result, but they cannot automatically see it - this I am happy to be corrected on by a member of the ST in D&CA. However, even if it were the case, how is Airmed to be blamed for seeing the results if she is a member of the ST and her permissions are such, this would be a flaw in the permissions and site design. Furthermore, if, as I suspect, members of the ST have to click a button to see the result, I believe that Airmed and Saracen's Fez, were he a member of the ST, are both characters of such integrity, that they would not sneak a peak at the results and the fact that both got the most votes suggests that the House very much agrees with this assessment.

Secondly, TDA is absolutely on the money here about your attack on Midnightmemories - how on earth are we to encourage people to post and debate here if, every time they come forward out a subforum, they are subjected to a barrage of abuse as you have done so just now. I take issue with your tone today and the way that you have constantly attacked people - be it Airmed, Midnightmemories, myself for supposedly 'slacking off' from my duties, or others. If you aren't able to post without launching an attack on others, then you are ruining the atmosphere of this place for everyone and making the MHoC less attractive to outsiders. I encourage you to reflect on what you have posted today and ask yourself whether your conduct has been fair or appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Maybe part of the reason we have so many ghost MPs is you using words like 'worthless' to refer to people. FWIW I take your point about why Airmed might know the results, but I don't think that translates to a situation where she would pull out even if losing heavily.
    PRSOM
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I disagree toronto353, it is an objective fact that having MPs who vote but nothing more is worthless because the ghost MPs are taking positions that could be held by active members of the party, and are artificially inflating the activity of the MHoC to make it appear 50 seats can be distributed, when the number of seats should start falling to push out ghost MPs. I take issue at your attempts to shout down any criticism, I stand by my comments made today, I do not plan to apologise for things I have said today because I feel my comments are appropriate, and I disagree with the impact comments have on new members.

Members of the MHoC tend to be deluded when it comes to the value of the MHoC, there are not members in wider TSR lining up to join who are deterred by criticism, there are not members in the shadows of parties who rarely post because the environment is not completely sterile, there are no members of TSR who observe what happens in the MHoC to build up an image, nor are there members of TSR who have reached a conclusion about the MHoC after lurking in the MHoC forum for ages. The MHoC is a small niche forum which is consciously avoided by the overwhelming majority of TSR users because the concept as a whole is see as silly, sad, and pointless. The worst part of the MHoC is not attacks made on members by the more outspoken, blunt members such as myself, but the members who have become the self-appointed thought police, the guardians of what they interpret to be good conduct, and dedicate more time to telling other members to act differently than debating items of legislation presented to the MHoC; these members should leave because these are the members sucking the life out of the MHoC.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not going to raise the numerous issues I have with this as Toronto already has but point of information: MM is a Green Proxy MP rather than a Liberal MP

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'm not going to raise the numerous issues I have with this as Toronto already has but point of information: MM is a Green Proxy MP rather than a Liberal MP

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The party the ghost MP is part of does not matter, UKIP were rightly criticised by yourself when a new member was needed as a ghost MP, but I think the problem is solved by leaders appointing active members to be an MP: leaders should not rely on the same members who have become the leaders' friends.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    The party the ghost MP is part of does not matter, UKIP were rightly criticised by yourself when a new member was needed as a ghost MP, but I think the problem is solved by leaders appointing active members to be an MP, not relying on the same old faces who are their friends.
    I think you'll find at least in the Liberals we have appointed our most active members

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    I disagree toronto353, it is an objective fact that having MPs who vote but nothing more is worthless because the ghost MPs are taking positions that could be held by active members of the party, and are artificially inflating the activity of the MHoC to make it appear 50 seats can be distributed, when the number of seats should start falling to push out ghost MPs. I take issue at your attempts to shout down any criticism, I stand by my comments made today, I do not plan to apologise for things I have said today because I feel my comments are appropriate, and I disagree with the impact comments have on new members.

Members of the MHoC tend to be deluded when it comes to the value of the MHoC, there are not members in wider TSR lining up to join who are deterred by criticism, there are not members in the shadows of parties who rarely post because the environment is not completely sterile, there are no members of TSR who observe what happens in the MHoC to build up an image, nor are there members of TSR who have reached a conclusion about the MHoC after lurking in the MHoC forum for ages. The MHoC is a small niche forum which is consciously avoided by the overwhelming majority of TSR users because the concept as a whole is see as silly, sad, and pointless. The worst part of the MHoC is not attacks made on members by the more outspoken, blunt members such as myself, but the members who have become the self-appointed thought police, the guardians of what they interpret to be good conduct, and dedicate more time to telling other members to act differently than debating items of legislation presented to the MHoC; these members should leave because these are the members sucking the life out of the MHoC.
    I don't shout down any criticism, what I shout down is abuse because what you have put to Midnightmemories about being a 'ghost MP' and how you have attacked Airmed for having the power to check results isn't criticism by any stretch of the imagination, but abuse pure and simple. I'm not going to get into an argument with you about this, but if you honestly feel that your time is best spent on here trying to get under people's skin all the time and hurling insults left, right, and centre, then I feel very sorry for you indeed.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    The results are in and Saracen's Fez has been duly elected Speaker of the MHoC. Congratulations to Fez and commiserations to Airmed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.