Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phat-chewbacca)
    Sorry my fault the which is xcm as they stated that in the question. I must have put 8cm by accident. I have edited my written explanation and changed it to xcm. Sorry about that!
    x=11.8, x=2.2, this is what I got, is this right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    You've only put one answer down? (Try and stick to exact values as well).
    It may be useful to explain why you have rejected 2 answers.
    Another solution to the quartic equation is -0.75 (2dp). Also you cannot take the square root of a negative number that is why I had discarded that solution.

ReputationRep:
    Another solution to the quartic equation is -0.75 (2dp). Also you cannot take the square root of a negative number that is why I had discarded that solution.
    Very good. I'll have to try and come up with a very difficult question but struggling to do it at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    x=11.8, x=2.2, this is what I got, is this right?
    Thats correct bro! If you want PM me and I will give you my Skype. I will try and help you with any questions that you struggle with! Not long time exam now!

ReputationRep:
    Very good. I'll have to try and come up with a very difficult question but struggling to do it at the moment.
    Give me a C1/C2 question

ReputationRep:
    Thats correct bro! If you want PM me and I will give you my Skype. I will try and help you with any questions that you struggle with! Not long time exam now!
    Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate your help.

ReputationRep:
    Give me a C1/C2 question
    Ok. I'll try and think of one. That's a bit easier for me to come up with a question because it's so restricted with GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate your help.
    No worries. Good luck on Thursday!

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I'll try and think of one. That's a bit easier for me to come up with a question because it's so restricted with GCSE.
    Thanks a lot much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    No worries. Good luck on Thursday!
    Good Luck to you too! You probably won't need it though.

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck to you too! You probably won't need it though.
    I do need it as we all make silly mistakes. I'm not perfect!

ReputationRep:
    What topics (A/A*) do you guys think will come up for GCSE maths this year (edexcel)?

I think we'll see the non-linear 5/6 mark simultaneous equations and a question on completing the square, e.g. x^2-8x+6 can be written in the form (x-p)+q. Find p and q - which isn't really hard.

Also, maybe some surd questions like rationalising the denominator.

(and of course f(x) tranformation graphs and/or sin/cos graphs, vectors, and maybe the simultaneous equation graphs again)
    Also, maybe changing the subject of the formula.

June 2015 also had 0 questions on circle theorems so I think we'll see them too.

ReputationRep:
    I do need it as we all make silly mistakes. I'm not perfect!
    True

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrewTheExams)
    What topics (A/A*) do you guys think will come up for GCSE maths this year (edexcel)?

I think we'll see the non-linear 5/6 mark simultaneous equations and a question on completing the square, e.g. x^2-8x+6 can be written in the form (x-p)+q. Find p and q - which isn't really hard.

Also, maybe some surd questions like rationalising the denominator.

(and of course f(x) tranformation graphs and/or sin/cos graphs, vectors, and maybe the simultaneous equation graphs again)
    Also, maybe changing the subject of the formula.

June 2015 also had 0 questions on circle theorems so I think we'll see them too.
    The 2015 November re-sit had a circle theorems triangle congruency proof as the last question. Personally I hope they don't crop up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggygeorgieee)
    The 2015 November re-sit had a circle theorems triangle congruency proof as the last question. Personally I hope they don't crop up!
    Yeah I saw that! But I think there's a high chance that we'll get a circle theorems. They've also appeared multiple times on both edexcel mock papers for spring and autumn, one of them was a 5 marker on proving that an angle of a sector is equal to one of the angles at the tangent or something similar.

I think we'll get a few of the easier ones like the 3 marks questions (where we also state the reasons), but I have this weird feeling we'll get a 5 marker or 'prove that' / congruency one

June 2015 had literally 0 questions on circle theorems which is unheard of, usually there's at least 1 or 2 every year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot much appreciated!
    Here's one. Let's see what you make of it. Probably easy work for you.
    The ellipse, \text{ E } , has equation
     \displaystyle (x-1)^2 + 3y^2=9 .

Find the values of  k such that the line,  \text{L} , with equation
     \displaystyle y=x+k
    is tangent to  \text{E} .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrewTheExams)
    Yeah I saw that! But I think there's a high chance that we'll get a circle theorems. They've also appeared multiple times on both edexcel mock papers for spring and autumn, one of them was a 5 marker on proving that an angle of a sector is equal to one of the angles at the tangent or something similar.

I think we'll get a few of the easier ones like the 3 marks questions (where we also state the reasons), but I have this weird feeling we'll get a 5 marker or 'prove that' / congruency one
    I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that Edexcel will take a diversion from confusing questions to prevent another situation like when Hannah's sweets put the whole country up in arms for a week.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that Edexcel will take a diversion from confusing questions to prevent another situation like when Hannah's sweets put the whole country up in arms for a week.
    To be honest though that question was fine and perfectly ok to put in the paper. It should not have caused so many problems.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully! I just want an easy paper like june 2010, or for me june 2014, or the easiest paper that I found - november 2014.

But to be honest, if we get a paper like june 2015 or even harder then the grade boundaries will be low again, so it might not be that hard to get an A*. 155 for A* was a joke last year, it honestly wasn't that hard to get that - there were only a small number of questions that were hard (if you revised).

Well, the papers have been made ages ago, so all we can do is hope for the best!

Good luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest though that question was fine and perfectly ok to put in the paper. It should not have caused so many problems.
    Yes - but it caused enough glares toward Edexcel from the general public. Maybe they might finish off the spec with a bang ... who knows??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.