Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Its an incredibly cringey circlejerk - is this what TSR has turned into?
    TSR has always been a circle jerk and it's just a bit of fun.

With exams and all the stuff that goes down on here elsewhere which is mostly heavy and repetitive discussions on Islam what is the problem with people just having some fun and pretending like gems are a real life achievement ?

(Original post by KoreanSpammer)
    TSR has always been a circle jerk and it's just a bit of fun.

With exams and all the stuff that goes down on here elsewhere which is mostly heavy and repetitive discussions on Islam what is the problem with people just having some fun and pretending like gems are a real life achievement ?
    Maybe I'm just noticing it more?

The discussions on Islam are also circlejerks - a small rightwing circlejerk of Islamophobes in their little corner, and everywhere else a much larger leftwing circlejerk of Islamophiles.

Circlejerks are rather immature, imo, and reduces the overall quality of TSR threads. I'd rather TSR was a place with genuine threads, rather than sycophancy.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm just noticing it more?

The discussions on Islam are also circlejerks - a small rightwing circlejerk of Islamophobes in their little corner, and everywhere else a much larger leftwing circlejerk of Islamophiles.

Circlejerks are rather immature, imo, and reduces the overall quality of TSR threads. I'd rather TSR was a place with genuine threads, rather than sycophancy.
    You are just noticing it more.

Well you can't have it all can you. There's a lot on here that goes on the id rather didn't happen and I just ignore it. Perhaps ignore this?

You are just noticing it more.

Well you can't have it all can you. There's a lot on here that goes on the id rather didn't happen and I just ignore it. Perhaps ignore this?
    Out of sight, out of mind, is always a silly argument. Wouldn't you complain if you saw loads of threads by neo-Nazis on TSR, even if it were only in some subforum you rarely visited?

I'd rather you criticised things that you'd rather didn't happen, that would probably raise the quality of posts, by generating a good, healthy discussion.

Anyway, criticising TSR is my own way to chill out during exam season. And I'm leaving after results day, since this forum seems to be for an increasingly young and immature demographic (more and more GCSE centric), rather than Uni level students and Uni level discussions. So I'm criticising TSR before I go.

ReputationRep:
    Out of sight, out of mind, is always a silly argument. Wouldn't you complain if you saw loads of threads by neo-Nazis on TSR, even if it were only in some subforum you rarely visited?

I'd rather you criticised things that you'd rather didn't happen, that would probably raise the quality of posts, by generating a good, healthy discussion.

Anyway, criticising TSR is my own way to chill out during exam season. And I'm leaving after results day, since this forum seems to be for an increasingly young and immature demographic (more and more GCSE centric), rather than Uni level students and Uni level discussions. So I'm criticising TSR before I go.
    Well I think neo-naziism is potentially quite harmful and the ideology promotes hatred to certain people.

Congratulating someone on a gem isnt harmful - nobody is getting hurt or offended. It's harmless fun. And clearly the community enjoys this so perhaps you're right in that you should leave if you cannot handle the softer side of the site where people are nice to each other and build each other up.

I have criticised the things I'd rather didn't happen as well.

At the end of the day you choose to spread negative vibes. its a choice and you don't have to make it.

if you cannot handle the softer side of the site where people are nice to each other and build each other up.

At the end of the day you choose to spread negative vibes. its a choice and you don't have to make it.
    Perhaps a better example would have been "if you see someone peeing in a public park, wouldn't you be annoyed"? That's what is happening here, people are peeing all over TSR :mad:

Sycophancy and rep farming is building each other up? Thanks for removing my faith in my generation.

But sure, I'll try introduce positive vibes, if I undergo a head trauma, or get real high

ReputationRep:
    Its an incredibly cringey circlejerk - is this what TSR has turned into?
    Join Date 12-01-2016

"turned into".... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps a better example would have been "if you see someone peeing in a public park, wouldn't you be annoyed"? That's what is happening here, people are peeing all over TSR :mad:

Sycophancy and rep farming isn't building each other up.

But sure, I'll try introduce positive vibes, if I undergo a head trauma, or get real high
    But people aren't peeing all over it. This has happened like three times in the past two months (as in a thread like this )

How do you know what builds people up? Just cause it doesn't build you up.

No my point was not that you should spread positive vibes. My point was that you don't have to spread negative ones. Absence of something doesn't mean presence of the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    YES CAV YOU LOVELY PERSON YOU

lotta love

(Original post by Reue)
    Join Date 12-01-2016

"turned into".... :rolleyes:
    Oh, I've been here longer (since 2014), just with a different account. I switched because its nearly impossible to get a rename.
    But people aren't peeing all over it. This has happened like three times in the past two months (as in a thread like this )How do you know what builds people up? Just cause it doesn't build you up.No my point was not that you should spread positive vibes. My point was that you don't have to spread negative ones. Absence of something doesn't mean presence of the opposite.
    People shouldn't surround themselves with 'positivity', they need to let the real world in sometimes, rather than calling anyone with a different view "haters" or saying they spread "negativity". Its a toxic atmosphere that leads to extremely fragile people who can't handle criticism.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I've been here longer (since 2014), just with a different account. I switched because its nearly impossible to get a rename.
    Hardly a long time span either then.

I assure you that, even a decade ago, this place was no different
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wooooo! Congrats Cavy from me and my tribe of cats :love: :hugs:

(Original post by Reue)
    Hardly a long time span either then.

I assure you that, even a decade ago, this place was no different
    It feels longer, since I stalked some threads back when there were neg reps

I suppose it must have been similar, but it felt like they had more mature circlejerks (praising Stalin and the like), rather than this sort of thing

ReputationRep:
    It feels longer, since I stalked some threads back when there were neg reps

I suppose it must have been similar, but it felt like they had more mature circlejerks (praising Stalin and the like), rather than this sort of thing
    Nope, infact it was possibly worse as there was an investigation into 'rep circles' at one point

(Original post by Reue)
    Nope, infact it was possible worse as there was an investigation into 'rep circles' at one point
    So you're saying TSR has faced this problem for over a decade and hasn't fixed it? :holmes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Awwww, Cavy - such a deserving cutie for making everyone smile :cube::cry2:

ReputationRep:

People shouldn't surround themselves with 'positivity', they need to let the real world in sometimes, rather than calling anyone with a different view "haters" or saying they spread "negativity". Its a toxic atmosphere that leads to extremely fragile people who can't handle criticism.
    This isn't about different viewpoints and opinions though is it. It's literally just you coming in and complaining about the harmless circle jerk on a student forum.

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying TSR has faced this problem for over a decade and hasn't fixed it? :holmes:
    Lol don't be surprised. They ain't changing for nobody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Nope, infact it was possibly worse as there was an investigation into 'rep circles' at one point
    aye the bad old days....

Name:  repcircle.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  84.0 KBName:  repcircle.jpg
Size:  84.0 KB

Who fell in the pursuit ?:flute:

Like a modern day Emily Pankhurst. :adore:
    *Emmeline.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.