Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If money isn't the most important thing, then what is? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nidhoggr)
    Money is the most important thing in the world because you cant have Happiness without Freedom, and in this world the only way you get Freedom is with Money.
    **** yes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Good health and happiness in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Everyone knows why money is very important. The question is whether it is the most important thing.

I don't think you understand. Money is the easiest and quickest and sometimes the only way to get what you want. That is why it is the most important.

I don't need to justify it any further. This thread is about reasons why something else might be more important which you have not been able to argue. First you mentioned family, then people in general and now "other options" which I am dying to know what you mean by that...

Yeah cos we all know kids cost nothing... I'd love to hear how you've managed to live up to this point without money seeing as it 'means nothing'.

Is people not hating you the most important thing? Cos if it is, money can achieve that.
    Ok yes kids do cost a bit, but only nappies really and stuff. I mean you don't even have to by baby food you can make it at home. It's not like you have to pay for school now is it.
    I've been brought up not costing a lot of money for my parents, but I've had simple clothes and simple food. I didn't take up a lot of their money. It depends on personal preference really how you bring them up, I.e if you take them on holiday every year then money is going to be needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazy2014)
    Ok yes kids do cost a bit, but only nappies really and stuff. I mean you don't even have to by baby food you can make it at home. It's not like you have to pay for school now is it.
    I've been brought up not costing a lot of money for my parents, but I've had simple clothes and simple food. I didn't take up a lot of their money. It depends on personal preference really how you bring them up, I.e if you take them on holiday every year then money is going to be needed
    Would you rather have kids and no money or money but no kids?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I see money as a facilitator to experiences. It might not bring happiness in and of itself, but it will lead to some sense of content if used in the right way.

As for me, my goals are more important than money. But I need money to meet my goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)

(Original post by Najeed23)
    Morals, modesty, dedication and hard work; I can't think of a reason why someone would hate you if you mind your own business and don't look down upon others.
    Is people not hating you the most important thing? Cos if it is, money can achieve that.
    No. That's not my point. What I meant is, no one will hate you if there's nothing bad you intend to do; the latter is what matters. You might disagree with me saying someone will hate you because you do something right; I don't care about such people, and it's better to maintain minimal contact with them - only when they need you, or you need them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I see money as a facilitator to experiences. It might not bring happiness in and of itself, but it will lead to some sense of content if used in the right way.

As for me, my goals are more important than money. But I need money to meet my goals.
    Ergo money is more important. Would you rather have goals but no money or money but no goals? Explain your choice.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by xylas)
    Ergo money is more important. Would you rather have goals but no money or money but no goals? Explain your choice.
    My choice would be the goals. Plenty of money is out there to be both made and lost, I don't particularly place a huge personal value on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Najeed23)
    No. That's not my point. What I meant is, no one will hate you if there's nothing bad you intend to do; the latter is what matters. You might disagree with me saying someone will hate you because you do something right; I don't care about such people, and it's better to maintain minimal contact with them - only when they need you, or you need them.
    Okay... No-one is arguing that, this thread is about the most important thing.

(Original post by Princepieman)
    My choice would be the goals. Plenty of money is out there to be both made and lost, I don't particularly place a huge personal value on it.
    But as you said you can't meet your goals without money. Without money you would find it hard to survive, without goals you can still live a happy life.

Also what you have written doesn't back up goals being more important than money.

ReputationRep:
    Penis. It's ****ing great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Interested to know your views. If you think something is more important, please explain how this can be achieved without money and whether or not money helps to achieve it.
    Happiness. Being content with your life.
    The saying "Money isn't everything" is both true and untrue. To be happy in life you need money. You can't be happy without money and that is a fact. Many people can argue against but that's the reality. Can you really be happy with no money? Let;s be honest, no.
    However, there are many people with money who aren't happy so why aren't they happy? Well, personally I believe it's because of greed. Too much money can make you selfish resulting in unhappiness.

To be happy, you need money to be settled, but with that you need to have a clean heart, care for one another and then you will achieve the most important thing in life and that's HAPPINESS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Interested to know your views. If you think something is more important, please explain how this can be achieved without money and whether or not money helps to achieve it.
    nothing is more important than happiness
    and for me that is flashy cars, heavy jewellery and piles of bullion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariah2011)
    Happiness. Being content with your life.
    The saying "Money isn't everything" is both true and untrue. To be happy in life you need money. You can't be happy without money and that is a fact. Many people can argue against but that's the reality. Can you really be happy with no money? Let;s be honest, no.
    However, there are many people with money who aren't happy so why aren't they happy? Well, personally I believe it's because of greed. Too much money can make you selfish resulting in unhappiness.

To be happy, you need money to be settled, but with that you need to have a clean heart, care for one another and then you will achieve the most important thing in life and that's HAPPINESS!
    Therefore money is more important since without money you can't be happy. Otherwise I agree with everything you said.

ReputationRep:
    Happiness

ReputationRep:
    Money is the motive

How else am I going to build my own gold plated mansion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Would you rather have kids and no money or money but no kids?
    Kids and no money
    You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Money is the motive

How else am I going to build my own gold plated mansion?
    And die eventually, what's the point

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Fish40)
    And die eventually, what's the point

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really a valid argument tho. Everyone dies..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Therefore money is more important since without money you can't be happy. Otherwise I agree with everything you said.
    I guess you're right; I suppose money is the most important thing to lead to happiness! Sad that the reality is that money is the most important thing but thats life..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazy2014)
    Kids and no money
    You?
    Definitely money and no kids. But good luck raising children into a struggled existence where you can barely support them (without being in debt to people like me with money) and they will always lack any opportunities in life due to having to work from a young age in order to put food on the table.

(Original post by mariah2011)
    I guess you're right; I suppose money is the most important thing to lead to happiness! Sad that the reality is that money is the most important thing but thats life..
    Exactly! I know it's hard to come by but I guess we have to train ourselves to be happy with the reality. I guess that's society's failing via the education system that we are not instilled with correct values by the time we become adults.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Philosophically though, I see no reason why it should be sad that money is the most important thing. I guess it's just an innate mechanism we have for coping with hard times that we are led to believe that it isn't everything

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.