Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    I had extra curriculars which covered the necessary competencies. I was one of many.

I'm not arguing with you that for a big 4 accountancy position that work experience holds more weight than your degree subject - not at all. But you can't project the big 4 mass recruitment process on to the entire industry, in the majority of accountancy positions that technical knowledge, exemptions and additional billable days are going to count for more than an unrelated internship that would frankly raise questions about the candidates dedication to the profession.

Anyway, I think we've both said our piece.
    You've made some assumptions there about what my experience is based on - it much wider than you have stated, but yes we clearly just have different views on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You Miss....you're awesome. I like your positive outlook and that you don't let things such as a number on a piece of paper bring you down in life.

Keep it up!

ReputationRep:
    Its not about finding a job generally, its about doing one that you enjoy and that is meaningful. A lot of jobs can be mind numbing
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by __Anonymous)
    You Miss....you're awesome. I like your positive outlook and that you don't let things such as a number on a piece of paper bring you down in life.

Keep it up!
    I'm glad someone happily agrees!

(Original post by redleader1)
    Its not about finding a job generally, its about doing one that you enjoy and that is meaningful. A lot of jobs can be mind numbing
    It is about finding a job generally because how does one who is unable to get a job pay for bills and the luxury 'essentials'?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Exactly!
    Some people either live in a fantasy world or does not know how life works. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    I'm glad someone happily agrees!

It is about finding a job generally because how does one who is unable to get a job pay for bills and the luxury 'essentials'?
    Benefits lol, jk. True however I have a job and fair enough it pays well. I need something challenging, its mind numbing for me and not relevant to my degree.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!
    Once you have that job what then ? You need something challenging.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Benefits lol, jk. True however I have a job and fair enough it pays well. I need something challenging, its mind numbing for me and not relevant to my degree.
    What is your job if you don't mind me asking out of curiosity? I know how you feel but the bills needs to be paid!

ReputationRep:
    What is your job if you don't mind me asking out of curiosity? I know how you feel but the bills needs to be paid!
    Its a call centre, however i'd rather not say but the organisation is really good, so it gives me a positive experience the pay is not bad either. However I need something more challenging !!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Its a call centre, however i'd rather not say but the organisation is really good, so it gives me a positive experience the pay is not bad either. However I need something more challenging !!
    I used to work in a call centre, I definitely know how you feel because sometimes its soul destroying not being able to hit your targets (although I've never not met my targets!), but how long have you been doing that?

ReputationRep:
    I used to work in a call centre, I definitely know how you feel because sometimes its soul destroying not being able to hit your targets (although I've never not met my targets!), but how long have you been doing that?
    About 10 months, Lol true. I have had interviews in my related field but was unsuccessful. But im still trying but the more you try, you lose a bit of motivation. Not saying im going to give up !
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    About 10 months, Lol true. I have had interviews in my related field but was unsuccessful. But im still trying but the more you try, you lose a bit of motivation. Not saying im going to give up !
    10 months - that's round about the same time I was there!

What degree did you study, just out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    10 months - that's round about the same time I was there!

What degree did you study, just out of curiosity?
    Criminology and Forensics

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Criminology and Forensics

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds very interesting!
    But I do definitely know how you feel and plus its the rat race, you don't exactly get much for working in a call centre if I'm being honest.
    I understand that you have difficulty getting hours to do this but would you consider to volunteer part time or something to get experience in your field?

This is one of the exact reasons why people are considering to emigrate. Better job prospects and possibly better living too.
    I already have an offer from one of my aunt's business contacts from America who's expanding their business to Hong Kong, so I'm seriously considering to make the move! :yep::woo: :jive:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds very interesting!
    But I do definitely know how you feel and plus its the rat race, you don't exactly get much for working in a call centre if I'm being honest.
    I understand that you have difficulty getting hours to do this but would you consider to volunteer part time or something to get experience in your field?

This is one of the exact reasons why people are considering to emigrate. Better job prospects and possibly better living too.
    I already have an offer from one of my aunt's business contacts from America who's expanding their business to Hong Kong, so I'm seriously considering to make the move! :yep::woo: :jive:
    I am doing some volunteering in the police force. But its just when an opportunity is available. If you dont get into the the police you have to wait 6 months.

Sounds very intresting I wouldnt mind going abroad for work like human rights etc so ling as it wasnt where I would have to live there, 12 months or something in like India or Africa sounds fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.