Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaWolfZ)
    If the accounts that you reported are accurate, then I can completely agree you that this was barbaric and wrong. It goes against all Orthodox Islamic principles and I can sympathise with how the Buddhists must have felt and their justification for their actions.Now, I also understand where they are coming from in terms of their new laws, doesn't mean its ethically right to discriminate against a group from the actions of a few.
    I take it you're not a salafi then? It would explain why you're not covering your ears/eyes at the sound/sight of moslems being to blame. That, and the fact that you clearly have the ability to think rationally. It's a respectable trait but one which is sadly quite rare. Sorry if that offended you, it's just so rare to see someone who's willing to look at both sides!

You're totally right about it being wrong to judge many by the actions of a few, but in this case it literally is almost all of the Rohingya doing it. The recent events are just the tip of the iceberg, this conflict has been going on for decades. The Rohingya have been waging jihad against the Burmese during this time and up until recently they've still been tolerated, for the most part. As you and I both know, if you punch someone in the face they're going to get angry. If they don't retaliate the first time and you keep punching them then eventually they'll hit back. That's pretty much what's happened in Burma, Thailand and Sri Lanka. The only people who'd continue to sit there and take it are the arahants and private arahants, but very few achieve liberation.

It's also interesting to see they current tension between Buddhists and Hindus from this current conflict as seen above. It's hard to tell without knowing both sides of the story but if the report you mentioned was true, it's definitely attributed to the Muslims who catalysed this conflict, and in this case the Muslims are to blame. As a Muslim, I know clearly that if the report you mentioned is accurate (source?) the Muslims are in the error. We are not always the victim, but what you mentioned in terms of atrocities breaks many many rules in Islam.
    Here's some sources. If you're thinking of searching for more, I should warn you that it takes a lot of patience and digging to find them. There's so much "Buddhists are ethnic cleansing!" nonsense articles which pop up that you have to wade through a tsunami of bs to find anything which shows the causes of the conflict. Fewer still are impartial to both sides. I'm well aware that "Buddhist" vigilantes are committing terrible acts as well as the Rohingyas, but the majority of the Buddhist-on-Rohingya attacks are retaliatory. Still, violence is never a good thing and I hope that someday the Rohingya and other Islamist groups will learn that the world wasn't made specifically for moslems. Then maybe we can all get along.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/175530387...BUDDHIST-WOMEN

This is a small collection of reports on some of the attacks against Buddhist women.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohing...estern_Myanmar

This one explains the history behind the conflict, thanks to Bacon for posting this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g2D...ature=youtu.be

A Burmese woman describes how her family were attacked. May her husband rest in peace.

https://themuslimissue.wordpress.com...slims-kill-us/

This one's a real gem. Kudos to the authors for acknowledging the Rohingya's atrocities despite also being moslems!

The rest are all just more examples of the same atrocities.

http://www.opendoorsuk.org/persecuti...ma_myanmar.php
    http://www.france24.com/en/20130405-...onesia-sumatra
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...nmar-buddhists
    http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/int...dhists/1229790
    https://www.rt.com/news/buddhist-tem...angladesh-342/
    http://www.newenglishreview.org/blog...blog_id/43109/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Ah, thanks dude! Will sure dig for more after my exams, but thanks for the links.

There are so many misconceptions about Salafism or true Orthodox Islam from both the Muslim community and from the general public. The reason is that, to be brutally honest here, this branch of Islamic thinking has been tainted for centuries by the actions of the Kharijites, or as we know them as the good 'ole terrorists. Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) warned about this group, about how they will reappear in every generation...

I have been doing a lot of research about the true Islam, and this branch of Islam seems to be quite interesting. One reason why we don't cover our eyes and blame others is because we know that Muslims are the cause. You hear many Muslims say that ISIS aren't Muslims, and shouldn't be confused. In reality, they are Muslims, nothing is going to stop that. What makes someone a Muslim, Christian or Jew is if they believe in the key principle of the religion, God. If they believe in Allah and Prophet Mohammed, then they are Muslims. Did they misinterpret Islamic texts and twisted it into their own agenda, maybe. Either way, the majority of issues due to Islamic insurgency is due to the misinterpretation of the Holy Book. Muslims have to accept that this is the major problem, and only together can we solve this problem once and for all.

So, without going off on a tangent here, is there any real solutions here. The Buddhists are pissed and I really doubt there is going to be any changes in a relationship especially with the political climate there. Mass deportation will be an atrocity in the eye of liberals, Al Qaeda is spreading like wildfire in SE Asia and in neighbouring countries with them declaring "jihad" in Burma. What are your opinions in terms of solutions?

ReputationRep:
    even muslim countries in SEA does not want to take in rohingya refugees. There is a reason why.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thanks dude! Will sure dig for more after my exams, but thanks for the links.

There are so many misconceptions about Salafism or true Orthodox Islam from both the Muslim community and from the general public. The reason is that, to be brutally honest here, this branch of Islamic thinking has been tainted for centuries by the actions of the Kharijites, or as we know them as the good 'ole terrorists. Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) warned about this group, about how they will reappear in every generation...

I have been doing a lot of research about the true Islam, and this branch of Islam seems to be quite interesting. One reason why we don't cover our eyes and blame others is because we know that Muslims are the cause. You hear many Muslims say that ISIS aren't Muslims, and shouldn't be confused. In reality, they are Muslims, nothing is going to stop that. What makes someone a Muslim, Christian or Jew is if they believe in the key principle of the religion, God. If they believe in Allah and Prophet Mohammed, then they are Muslims. Did they misinterpret Islamic texts and twisted it into their own agenda, maybe. Either way, the majority of issues due to Islamic insurgency is due to the misinterpretation of the Holy Book. Muslims have to accept that this is the major problem, and only together can we solve this problem once and for all.
    No problem. It's good to discuss these things, they'll never be resolved unless both sides can work together. Mo' (pbuh) was right, idiots are like weeds. You rip one out and another just spouts up in it's place. It's unpleasant having something in common with such people, but as you said, denialism never solves anything.

So, without going off on a tangent here, is there any real solutions here. The Buddhists are pissed and I really doubt there is going to be any changes in a relationship especially with the political climate there. Mass deportation will be an atrocity in the eye of liberals, Al Qaeda is spreading like wildfire in SE Asia and in neighbouring countries with them declaring "jihad" in Burma. What are your opinions in terms of solutions?
    I wish I knew.

I suppose it would help if the Rohingya were taught a bit more about what Buddhism actually is. They seem to have the impression that the Buddha's like some sort of Hubal and that Buddhists are all idolators. It's not hard to see why they'd think that tbh. Buddhism's kind of weird, it's a religion which can be practiced on it's own or alongside other religions. The Buddha isn't a god or a prophet, he's simply a man who lived 2500 years ago and possessed immense wisdom. As such, it doesn't conflict with any other religion. It doesn't even have a set god. The Buddha spoke of his own personal god but emphasized the fact that all religions are branches of the same tree and that all gods refer to the same thing.

In Buddhism the only goal is happiness and liberation from the cycle of rebirth, but very little of the Dhamma is mandatory for lay followers so people practice as much or as little of it as they like. Obviously the main bits are but the vinaya pitaka is rules for monks and the abhidhamma pitaka is fully optional. Basically the whole thing can be summed up in the dhammapada and the dhammacakkapavattana sutta*. Personally, I think the whole rebirth stuff is a load of tosh, but the other bits are brilliant. So I'm like an atheist Buddhist and I even have a friend who's both a Muslim and a Buddhist. If the Rohingya were aware that Buddhists aren't "enemies of Allah" they'd probably be less willing to kill them.

If the Rohingya stopped their nonsense the Buddhists would stop as well. Obviously there'd be a period of animosity between the two but repairing relations between them is another problem for another time. Violence is strictly prohibited in Buddhism. The only exception is in self defense but even then it's frowned upon.

As for the "liberals," would it be too immoral to gag them for the time being?

*http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit....011.than.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...dhp/index.html
    The Sutta pitaka is the most relevant pitaka for laymen, but the other two are good reads as well. Please don't get the wrong idea, I'm no evangelist!

I must say, it's really nice to discuss this with someone who's got a good head on their shoulders. It's reassurance that rationality isn't in decline.

ReputationRep:
    No problem. It's good to discuss these things, they'll never be resolved unless both sides can work together. Mo' (pbuh) was right, idiots are like weeds. You rip one out and another just spouts up in it's place. It's unpleasant having something in common with such people, but as you said, denialism never solves anything.

I wish I knew.

I suppose it would help if the Rohingya were taught a bit more about what Buddhism actually is. They seem to have the impression that the Buddha's like some sort of Hubal and that Buddhists are all idolators. It's not hard to see why they'd think that tbh. Buddhism's kind of weird, it's a religion which can be practiced on it's own or alongside other religions. The Buddha isn't a god or a prophet, he's simply a man who lived 2500 years ago and possessed immense wisdom. As such, it doesn't conflict with any other religion. It doesn't even have a set god. The Buddha spoke of his own personal god but emphasized the fact that all religions are branches of the same tree and that all gods refer to the same thing.

In Buddhism the only goal is happiness and liberation from the cycle of rebirth, but very little of the Dhamma is mandatory for lay followers so people practice as much or as little of it as they like. Obviously the main bits are but the vinaya pitaka is rules for monks and the abhidhamma pitaka is fully optional. Basically the whole thing can be summed up in the dhammapada and the dhammacakkapavattana sutta*. Personally, I think the whole rebirth stuff is a load of tosh, but the other bits are brilliant. So I'm like an atheist Buddhist and I even have a friend who's both a Muslim and a Buddhist. If the Rohingya were aware that Buddhists aren't "enemies of Allah" they'd probably be less willing to kill them.

If the Rohingya stopped their nonsense the Buddhists would stop as well. Obviously there'd be a period of animosity between the two but repairing relations between them is another problem for another time. Violence is strictly prohibited in Buddhism. The only exception is in self defense but even then it's frowned upon.

As for the "liberals," would it be too immoral to gag them for the time being?

*http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit....011.than.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...dhp/index.html
    The Sutta pitaka is the most relevant pitaka for laymen, but the other two are good reads as well. Please don't get the wrong idea, I'm no evangelist!

I must say, it's really nice to discuss this with someone who's got a good head on their shoulders. It's reassurance that rationality isn't in decline.
    You can't be Buddhist and Muslim. Abrahamic religion rejects the notion of reincarnation. I had a Christian missionary who mocked the idea of reincarnation because he thought I was a Buddhist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    You can't be Buddhist and Muslim. Abrahamic religion rejects the notion of reincarnation. I had a Christian missionary who mocked the idea of reincarnation because he thought I was a Buddhist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can. In Buddhism all that's required to be a lay follower is following the Noble Eightfold Path. You don't need to believe in reincarnation to do this.

ReputationRep:
    You can. In Buddhism all that's required to be a lay follower is following the Noble Eightfold Path. You don't need to believe in reincarnation to do this.
    thats on the buddhist side. try telling an islamic cleric that buddhism is not false religion and watch the outrage

ReputationRep:
    thats on the buddhist side. try telling an islamic cleric that buddhism is not false religion and watch the outrage
    You've got a point there! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Lol that would be funny. :holmes:

Though I'd like to add, it depends on what cleric you ask . The Ahmadiyya prophet, afaik, believed Gautama Buddha did indeed believe in god and preached monotheism, and buddism is not a false religion.

It has to be noted that Ahmadis have a very unorthodox interpretation, and many Muslims believe they aren't muslims. So that puts a stretch on the word "Islamic" according to many people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Racism and fascism only apply to White people

So that is not a privilege, it is a privilege non-White people enjoy

It is easy for non-Whites to preach about the evils of Whites, and how we should be more diverse..

Yet it isn't your homelands being replaced with different people is it? *****.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.