Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Exactly, and that variety of average Joe is generally a leaver, not a remainer
    I disagree there. Average Joe is worried about his job most of all and not interested in politics. He will see mostly the downsides of leaving.

Implying we will win?
    Here is the schedule

Sunday 19 June, 21.00 (Lille): Switzerland v France – Group A
    Sunday 19 June, 21.00 (Lyon): Romania v Albania – Group A
    Monday 20 June, 21.00 (St-Etienne): Slovakia v England – Group B
    Monday 20 June, 21.00 (Toulouse): Russia v Wales – Group B
    Tuesday 21 June, 18.00 (Paris): Northern Ireland v Germany – Group C
    Tuesday 21 June, 18.00 (Marseille): Ukraine v Poland – Group C
    Tuesday 21 June, 21.00 (Bordeaux): Croatia v Spain – Group D
    Tuesday 21 June, 21.00 (Lens): Czech Republic v Turkey – Group D
    Wednesday 22 June, 18.00 (Lyon): Hungary v Portugal – Group F
    Wednesday 22 June, 18.00 (St-Denis): Iceland v Austria – Group F
    Wednesday 22 June, 21.00 (Nice): Sweden v Belgium – Group E
    Wednesday 22 June, 21.00 (Lille): Italy v Republic of Ireland – Group E
    England was unlikely to lose that early in the competition, anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by plstudent)
    I disagree there. Average Joe is worried about his job most of all and not interested in politics. He will see mostly the downsides of leaving.

Implying we don't know who will be playing in those games and England is unlikely to lose that early in the competition.
    They're so worried about their jobs that the less educated and low social grades are in favour of leaving; the ones worried about their jobs are the ones at the top, not the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    They're so worried about their jobs that the less educated and low social grades are in favour of leaving; the ones worried about their jobs are the ones at the top, not the bottom.
    I think everybody is worried. I was thinking largely middle class careerists would rather watch the game with their families than vote in a referendum they don't understand.

Leave voters are more convinced so they are less likely to be deterred by a game.

By the way I edited my post above.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I want to leave, I think we're staying in :indiff:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think everybody is worried. I was thinking largely middle class careerists would rather watch the game with their families than vote in a referendum they don't understand.

Leave voters are more convinced so they are less likely to be deterred by a game.

By the way I edited my post above.
    The middle class careerists are more likely to make sure they vote before a game and are at least as likely to think they understand it; leavers have greater and being convinced isn't the same as prioritising voting.

ReputationRep:
    The middle class careerists are more likely to make sure they vote before a game and are at least as likely to think they understand it; leavers have greater and being convinced isn't the same as prioritising voting.
    Middle class careerists would be at work before the game and then they would meet their families. Maybe they think they understand the vote better but it will also be more important for them to have a sufficient understanding.

It doesn't matter if a lot of leavers don't sufficiently understand the referendum as long as they are passionate about the issue.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Middle class careerists would be at work before the game and then they would meet their families. Maybe they think they understand the vote better but it will also be more important for them to have a sufficient understanding.

It doesn't matter if a lot of leavers don't sufficiently understand the referendum as long as they are passionate about the issue.
    And most of these "middle class careerists" will vote either between work and the game or after it depending on what time it is, or even before work. I expect on the day is will be a case of going to vote at about 6 with the family after dinner, not that we would be watching any football if it's on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I think we're going to stay, but the vote will be close.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.