Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    **** me, I am poor by Swiss standards :/

Although I guess I have some years to build up my assets.

LOL, you can still build your assists my friend.

Zurich wasn't built in a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    If they were IN THE EU they would have pavements literally paved with 24ct gold and ISIS would be loving caring philantropists SMH
    Do you have to post your hatred on every thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Listers)
    LOL, you can still build your assists my friend.

Zurich wasn't built in a day
    No, but they sure are efficient in building here.

ReputationRep:
    Its not that nice there. The cities are full of migrants/non-natives who commit a lot of crimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    Its not that nice there. The cities are full of migrants/non-natives who commit a lot of crimes.
    You have been to Lausanne then?

ReputationRep:
    You have been to Lausanne then?
    Geneva.

ReputationRep:
    a post I made on Switzerland a few months ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post61560007

I think Switzerland is great, it's got beautiful scenery, it's clean and relatively safe. However the problem is it is often seen as an emigration target for ambitious young people in the UK and this is where it needs some further research.

Often the kind of people who want to move there are young professionals who live in London, work in the financial services sector and enjoy an active social life in the London scene. Usually their gripes about London and the UK are:
    - the levels of tax they pay
    - the cost of living and particularly housing: "rip off Britain"
    - red tape, bureaucracy and the "nanny state"

If they move to Switzerland they get a bit of a shock. There are good job opportunities there in the main cities, pay is high, but the cost of living is high so it's pretty much like London on those fronts. There are a lot of international firms and organisations there and one thing to watch for if you ever get a job there is check that your salary will be paid in Swiss Francs. Some people are on a fixed salary denominated in dollars or Euros and exchange rate fluctuations against the franc can be really problematic - some people saw the real value of their salaries butchered whenever there were crises in the Eurozone and the franc spiked upwards.

You pay less tax in Switzerland but the difference isn't as much as you think as you still pay tax to your Canton and the City and Federal governments. Also you have to get private health insurance which can be pricey so you have to factor this in. If you're a super top earner then it's better to be in Switzerland but if you're a young professional that works for a living rather than being Lewis Hamilton or Phil Collins etc it's not as much of a difference as people make out. It's certainly not like a 0% tax Gulf state.

If you don't like "the nanny state" in the UK then you may get a shock in Switzerland. There are a lot more small petty laws there about when you can and can't put your recycling out, when you are allowed to wash your car and mow your lawn and when you aren't. Also they aren't big on noise there especially at night. If you live in city centre apartment blocks they often have rules like no flushing the toilet or taking a shower after 10pm as it disturbs people. On Sundays you are basically not supposed to do anything. There are lots of small laws that its easy to break and gives the local authority chance to levy fines on you and it does get on your nerves. Believe me if you have lived in Switzerland for a bit, the UK is NOT a nanny state, no matter what the Daily Mail might say.

But the biggest thing that young British people that move to Switzerland find a shock is they think it's boring. I don't find it boring because I like chilling out in the mountains and enjoying nature. But if you are a party person there isn't that much to do - even in the bigger cities in Switzerland. In London there's a culture of "work hard, play hard", people will work very long hours and then go straight out to a club and party all night and then turn up to work the next day even though they feel dreadful. In Switzerland people they are very punctual about clocking on and clocking off but they don't work late like Brits do. They come in, work industriously during the day then disappear off to their apartments or their families. There isn't as much a culture of going out people tend to live more frugally and keep to themselves.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Not on threads that have nothing to do with Leave/Remain...

ReputationRep:
    Not on threads that have nothing to do with Leave/Remain...
    Why so?

ReputationRep:
    Why so?
    It gets annoying. And in turn it's why people tend to be so against you guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    a post I made on Switzerland a few months ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post61560007

If they move to Switzerland they get a bit of a shock. There are good job opportunities there in the main cities, pay is high, but the cost of living is high so it's pretty much like London on those fronts.
    Not true. Compared to London rent is cheaper. http://www.numbeo.com/property-inves...atchComparison

There are a lot of international firms and organisations there and one thing to watch for if you ever get a job there is check that your salary will be paid in Swiss Francs. Some people are on a fixed salary denominated in dollars or Euros and exchange rate fluctuations against the franc can be really problematic - some people saw the real value of their salaries butchered whenever there were crises in the Eurozone and the franc spiked upwards.
    To an extent yes, but from my experience in the financial sector this is not so much the case but more in terms of international organisations. But for those if you live in Basel or Geneva, France/Germany are just a hop away. And as you said, just make sure you get a CHF contract.

You pay less tax in Switzerland but the difference isn't as much as you think as you still pay tax to your Canton and the City and Federal governments. Also you have to get private health insurance which can be pricey so you have to factor this in. If you're a super top earner then it's better to be in Switzerland but if you're a young professional that works for a living rather than being Lewis Hamilton or Phil Collins etc it's not as much of a difference as people make out. It's certainly not like a 0% tax Gulf state.
    Cannot agree with this at all. As a foreigner you will pay witholding tax. This will be taken straight out of your salary and is all the income tax you pay. You will then also pay social security (pension, AHV and ALV). Suppose you are single and live in ZH with a gross salary of CHF90k (£62k) a year:

- Witholding tax: 8.98%
    - Social security: somewhere between 11% and 12% with almost half of that being your pension fund,

and while I don't know all the pension systems in the world, I can tell you that the Swiss is absolutely amazing (not in terms of sustainability, there are ofc issues regarding that, but simply in terms of the pension you will have at retirement).

Now compare that to the UK, first, there are much less jobs that offer this kind of salary, and then you pay a lot more income tax alone. Health insurance you say - 2.5% I say. According to the website you would pay 2% in NI.

In short, it's a vast difference.

If you don't like "the nanny state" in the UK then you may get a shock in Switzerland. There are a lot more small petty laws there about when you can and can't put your recycling out, when you are allowed to wash your car and mow your lawn and when you aren't. Also they aren't big on noise there especially at night. If you live in city centre apartment blocks they often have rules like no flushing the toilet or taking a shower after 10pm as it disturbs people. On Sundays you are basically not supposed to do anything. There are lots of small laws that its easy to break and gives the local authority chance to levy fines on you and it does get on your nerves. Believe me if you have lived in Switzerland for a bit, the UK is NOT a nanny state, no matter what the Daily Mail might say.
    Fair enough about the nanny state. Though you make it sound like CH is (much) worse. I suppose there is some truth to what you say, but I have never experienced it and stuff like the fines is just wtf? Yes you aren't supposed to hang your washing on a Sunday - but did it anyway and no one ever called the police. Maybe you had a few bad experiences, but I can tell you that is not the norm.

But the biggest thing that young British people that move to Switzerland find a shock is they think it's boring. I don't find it boring because I like chilling out in the mountains and enjoying nature. But if you are a party person there isn't that much to do - even in the bigger cities in Switzerland. In London there's a culture of "work hard, play hard", people will work very long hours and then go straight out to a club and party all night and then turn up to work the next day even though they feel dreadful. In Switzerland people they are very punctual about clocking on and clocking off but they don't work late like Brits do. They come in, work industriously during the day then disappear off to their apartments or their families. There isn't as much a culture of going out people tend to live more frugally and keep to themselves."
    Yup. This part is true, but only to an extent. And you have to remember that there are many foreigners around who have a different attitude. If you want to go out, you might have less choice no one is denying that, but you can easily still do it.

ReputationRep:
    It gets annoying. And in turn it's why people tend to be so against you guys.
    Who is "You guys"?

ReputationRep:
    Who is "You guys"?
    Leavers.

ReputationRep:
    Leavers.
    If people are against leaving the EU because its supporters passionately and succinctly make criticisms of the EU frequently, then i would suggest they are morons whom fully deserve to live with the consequences of remaining in the EU and that gives me a little satisfaction in all honesty

ReputationRep:
    If people are against leaving the EU because its supporters passionately and succinctly make criticisms of the EU frequently, then i would suggest they are morons whom fully deserve to live with the consequences of remaining in the EU and that gives me a little satisfaction in all honesty
    Oh no, I just mean it makes you come across as pushy, bitter, and a bit dickish. So it's fun to argue against that.

And well likewise, I will have Schadenfreude for sure in the case the vote ends as In.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, I just mean it makes you come across as pushy, bitter, and a bit dickish. So it's fun to argue against that.

And well likewise, I will have Schadenfreude for sure in the case the vote ends as In.
    I can only control my actions not peoples poor judgement and misconceptions. Regardless, i am comfortable if people think i am either of the above things.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.