Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you want Turkey to join the EU? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Turkey to join the EU?
    I want Turkey to join the EU
    13.27%
    I do not want Turkey to join the EU
    86.73%

ReputationRep:
    lol what? there are people out there that actually want turkey to join????
    huh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9998)
    lol what? there are people out there that actually want turkey to join????
    huh
    The British government have supported Turkish membership for decades. However the old issue was the involvement of an aggressively secularist military in politics. That has, for the moment passed, but Turkey has elected, and seemingly will continue to elect, a non-secularist government that has implications for gender equality in the EU. Turkey, whilst a loyal NATO member, plays a lone hand in middle-eastern politics.

These geo-political issues mean that most EU members are unwilling to see Turkey join regardless of the issue of immigration and the relative poverty of its citizens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael3C)
    1. British policy can't change anything at this point. It would be a case of leaving the EU and its governing rules.

2. You would still be part of Europe if we left, we just wouldn't be part of the European Commision - they are two very different things.

But we wouldn't be part of Europe, and we have no say over the Brexit deal so it could really hurt us. Its just not worth the risks. There is not a single economic study that says we wouldn't be plunged into some kind of recession or job losses. And my parents job relies on Europe and if we were to leave and their company was to move to Paris we would be put out on the streets. As would many other people. So I don't want to risk it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    SemiteLog Sameerio Trumpo Trumpu Davij038 ByEeek Alfissti Michael3C The gains kinggg M14B Settle aeroline1999

I'me German.

Political correctness was what got many, many good, wonderful members on this forum banned for merely questioning the policy decisions linked to immigration/migration such as the one made by my Chancellor to allow all these migrants into my country
    • without checking if they are holding genuine passports
    • without checking if they have links to terrorist groups
    • without checking if they have criminal records in their home countries
    • without checking if they have HIV/AIDS
    Someone recently asked me why should people wanting to enter into another country, be checked for HIV/AIDS? This is because the government owes a duty to its citizens to protect them from people who may want to infect others with their communicable diseases. This is an extension of a 'social contract theory'. Read up on it if you have time. Educate yourself.

You may have read or heard, many of these migrants have turned my country upside down.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35231046
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ks-list-crimes
    http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...d65045e65e141d
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...-sex-assaults/

You only have to see what the German police commissioner said on national TV to understand the true extent of the migrant crisis. Mind you, the higher command in Germany gave him a piece of their mind following the telecast of this interview. Watch it to believe it.

I hope all of you reading my post, bears this in mind. A country's sovereignty, security and safety of its citizens is so so important. With Merkel's blunder, we have become a carbon copy of UK & the rest of EU and their set of problems.

Merkel has been in hiding for many months now. She's pushing 62 years of age. She won't throw in the towel just yet. If UK decides to remain in the EU, I am certain they will make EU into a united states of Europe and she would be the major contender for the post of PM of the USE. Tony Blair has quietened down way too much to be able to stake a claim for that coveted position.

Merkel studied physics and then chemistry. She has no knowledge and understanding about politics, law, finance and sociology. She tells the German public one thing and tells the EU another thing and then tells the world another thing. Sometime back she said that refugees must now return back to their countries of origin after the wars back home have ended.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu...-idUSKCN0V80IH

With Turkey's inclusion into the EU imminent, there will be 77 million Turks who will get to make their debut appearance in any of the EU member states. They will not go to France because France has zero tolerance towards Muslims. They will continue to come to Germany or go to the UK where the borders agency officers have zero powers to turn people away.

Fun times ahead.
    Yes Germany has ruined Europe by opening its borders to the most messed up countries on the entire planet. Tothink I used to respect Merkyl. What iseven more shocking is that she is supposed to be from a centre right party.This is the lunatic action of a leftwing party. However her decision was purelyeconomic. The German population is in terminal decline and needed a fresh batchof workers to make up for the falling birth rates. Only problem is she decidedto get these people from countries of extreme violence, rape, and extremist religionso she hardly took the best on offer. Now all these problems will and havealready moved to Europe. Like women in Germany being raped or feeling the needto dress more conservatively because of aggressive comments from Refugees. Itreally infuriates me when I see protests of people saying “Refugees welcomehere”. They most certainly are not. The borders need to be slammed down onpretty much all middle eastern countries right now, until the violence calmsdown and civilisation is restored. We urgently need to deport all refugees assoon as possible, they pose far too great a risk to our way of life and cultureand safety and stability. However, despite all this I stay adamantly proEurope. And unlike you I want a Europeansuper state. That way we could have a proper European defense and immigrationpolicy (amongst many other benefits of full political unity). Quite frankly, weneed much stronger borders, and I know nobody want to echoe Donald Trump, butEurope really does need to build a wall. Difference with America is they wantto keep out Mexicans. We need to keep out ISIS. I think that of all thingsmerits a strong border control around Europe. And any future border policy ofEurope should be strong and rigid, promoting the immigration of highly educatedworkers from places like America, China, Japan, Singapore, India, Australiaetc. But having a zero tolerance policy to non educated workers from violentcountries. I reject the idea that a refugee automatically should have the rightto live in my or any other developed peaceful country. If anything, refugeesshould be bottom of the immigration list as they pose the greatest threat tothe security of developed nations. And quoting a few successful refugees likeSteve Jobs frankly doesn’t cut it. For every Steve Job there are millions ofother “dependent” refugees sucking resources and endangering European security.
    Fully agree about checking for criminal records, I think ifsomeone has so much as a speeding fine they should not be allowed in. Sameapplies for terrorist, and illegal immigrants. I don’t agree with HIV though.It is already prevalent in Europe so it doesn’t make a difference. Otherdiseases however should definitely be screened for. Particularly things likemalaria and other deadly diseases that could be spread easily. Imagine ifmalaria came across the common cold and evolved to become airbourne! It wouldbe deadly.

Where is the I don't care option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    Yes Germany has ruined Europe by opening its borders to the most messed up countries on the entire planet. Tothink I used to respect Merkyl. What iseven more shocking is that she is supposed to be from a centre right party.This is the lunatic action of a leftwing party. However her decision was purelyeconomic. The German population is in terminal decline and needed a fresh batchof workers to make up for the falling birth rates. Only problem is she decidedto get these people from countries of extreme violence, rape, and extremist religionso she hardly took the best on offer. Now all these problems will and havealready moved to Europe. Like women in Germany being raped or feeling the needto dress more conservatively because of aggressive comments from Refugees. Itreally infuriates me when I see protests of people saying “Refugees welcomehere”. They most certainly are not. The borders need to be slammed down onpretty much all middle eastern countries right now, until the violence calmsdown and civilisation is restored. We urgently need to deport all refugees assoon as possible, they pose far too great a risk to our way of life and cultureand safety and stability. However, despite all this I stay adamantly proEurope. And unlike you I want a Europeansuper state. That way we could have a proper European defense and immigrationpolicy (amongst many other benefits of full political unity). Quite frankly, weneed much stronger borders, and I know nobody want to echoe Donald Trump, butEurope really does need to build a wall. Difference with America is they wantto keep out Mexicans. We need to keep out ISIS. I think that of all thingsmerits a strong border control around Europe. And any future border policy ofEurope should be strong and rigid, promoting the immigration of highly educatedworkers from places like America, China, Japan, Singapore, India, Australiaetc. But having a zero tolerance policy to non educated workers from violentcountries. I reject the idea that a refugee automatically should have the rightto live in my or any other developed peaceful country. If anything, refugeesshould be bottom of the immigration list as they pose the greatest threat tothe security of developed nations. And quoting a few successful refugees likeSteve Jobs frankly doesn’t cut it. For every Steve Job there are millions ofother “dependent” refugees sucking resources and endangering European security.
    Fully agree about checking for criminal records, I think ifsomeone has so much as a speeding fine they should not be allowed in. Sameapplies for terrorist, and illegal immigrants. I don’t agree with HIV though.It is already prevalent in Europe so it doesn’t make a difference. Otherdiseases however should definitely be screened for. Particularly things likemalaria and other deadly diseases that could be spread easily. Imagine ifmalaria came across the common cold and evolved to become airbourne! It wouldbe deadly.
    very well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    haha im guessing you arent from the UK?

ReputationRep:
    very well said
    Of course I could never say a word of that in real life without being lynched. Although most people secretly agree, they just don't want to say it out loud.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I could never say a word of that in real life without being lynched. Although most people secretly agree, they just don't want to say it out loud.
    yup but I cant see any of the points you mentioned actually happening in the future unfortunately, I very much doubt Germany is gonna decide to mass deport all the refugees out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Thats the fun when where you get to write rude messages on your ballot paper

ReputationRep:
    yup but I cant see any of the points you mentioned actually happening in the future unfortunately, I very much doubt Germany is gonna decide to mass deport all the refugees out.
    Oh of course they won't. Although there is huge pressure within Germany to, as with many other European countries, some of which are starting to clamp down. But its too little too late in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Oh of course they won't. Although there is huge pressure within Germany to, as with many other European countries, some of which are starting to clamp down. But its too little too late in my opinion.
    lol a little?
    edit that

ReputationRep:
    lol a little?
    edit that
    ?? What's wrong with too little too late?

ReputationRep:
    We are into tinfoil hat territory here.

"I have a view that that does not agree with the views expressed by others, but secretly everyone else agrees with me"

ReputationRep:
    It's a moot point given that it's not going to happen (like any Eastern Euro country won't veto it instantly, having previously experienced centuries of Ottoman genocide, slavery, pillaging and rape). Besides, ascension depends on a country fulfilling various sets of criteria for suitability. Given that Ersogan just took over an entire media group for criticising him, I'm sure they're some way off the freedom of press part lol.

But I'll bite for the sake of giving a straight answer to OP's straight question. No, I do support Turkey's joining of the EU because I'm not a complete retard or Swedish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    It's a moot point given that it's not going to happen (like any Eastern Euro country won't veto it instantly, having previously experienced centuries of Ottoman genocide, slavery, pillaging and rape). Besides, ascension depends on a country fulfilling various sets of criteria for suitability. Given that Ersogan just took over an entire media group for criticising him, I'm sure they're some way off the freedom of press part lol.

But I'll bite for the sake of giving a straight answer to OP's straight question. No, I do support Turkey's joining of the EU because I'm not a complete retard or Swedish
    we might as well ask ISIS to join while were at it then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    We are into tinfoil hat territory here.

"I have a view that that does not agree with the views expressed by others, but secretly everyone else agrees with me"
    No its that most people think the same thing, but they won't say it, because they worry about being labelled or offending someone. I'm a good example of that, because I don't voice any real opinions in real life. That's why the internet is much more outspoken and offensive than real life, because everyone feels hidden behind their words, even if that is not really the case, which it isn't, because people can easily be traced.

ReputationRep:
    I believe they've only completed 1 of 30ish prerequisites for joining in the last two decades so they won't be joining any time soon.

Besides, with a GDP only 25% of ours and a government heading more toward theocracy day by day it'd be a bad move economically as well as socially. However, I don't think for a second this will stop Merkel and the Cabbage Patch Kids trying to get them in regardless of the many reasons not to allow it.

ReputationRep:
    No its that most people think the same thing, but they won't say it, because they worry about being labelled or offending someone. I'm a good example of that, because I don't voice any real opinions in real life. That's why the internet is much more outspoken and offensive than real life, because everyone feels hidden behind their words, even if that is not really the case, which it isn't, because people can easily be traced.
    No, the internet contains an unrepresentative self-selecting group of people. That group may express views they wouldn't express in real life but that doesn't mean those views are reflected of the majority opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Problem with Turkey joining is the fact that their government is composed of corrupt thugs. This may sound harsh and blunt but the video speaks for itself....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.