Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    These rankings are designed to "inform" applicants for 2017 entry. The Times started that method of naming back in 94
    I'm aware. But still 2017 applicants apply around September - January. They should at least let the academic year finish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemondtan)
    There is a clear difference between criticism and attacking someone. "Do you even have any university offers?" Lol. You didn't give any constructive criticism, you merely shot me down for what I said. I could obtain no useful information from whatever you said. How do you know I was mocking them?

Ah, I've been to quite a number of Uni open days myself. Maybe you've been to every single one on the country? Good job. That doesn't make you know more than I do. Unless you're in that university, you won't know what it's like to be there.

So you're trying to use your three offers to scare me off? C-l-a-s-s-i-c. Stop being sour.
    I don't intend to give constructive criticism to a University rankings snob. I haven't been to every university in the country, don't patronise me.

I'm not trying to use my three offers to scare you off, merely expressing the fact I have more knowledge regarding universities and their rankings.

In addition, why is there a whole CV in your profile? That's excessive! One would think you're trying to 'show off' - eww

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Use unistats to drill into the data used in the league tables.
    https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subje...eturnTo/Search
    https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subje...eturnTo/Search

click through ALL of the different tabs and decide what matters to you (eg in the employment tab - City has a much higher rate of unemployment but those people who do get jobs are more likely to be in "professional" jobs, so it could just be that grads from city are less likely to need to get any old job to pay the bills | Brunel has an awful score for feedback being helpful/detailed on student satisfaction, but their students are more satisfied with the student union, organisation, library and personal development | Brunel has 100% exams in the first year but that drops off dramatically in the following years, City has a heavy exams focus throughout the course, More students at Brunel get a 2i or 1st than at City and fewer drop out after first year).

There's no right or wrong answers - all of these things should just give you the information to decide what suits you best and to ask the right questions.
    Thanks for your reply

I`ve looked through Unistats and the unemployment rate does get me concerned. Plus I`ve been to Brunel and liked it whereas with City I havent been so dont know what its like, but the higher rankings for City are appealing. With Brunel I failed first year and was told I could wait a year and reapply to a different course or go to another Uni. I`ve got conditional offer from them, but unconditional from City.

Unfortunately the City forum here isnt very active, so cant see much insights from current students

ReputationRep:
    It's the guardian, there's no way half of these *****y universities can be at the top. No offense.

I wouldn't listen to this nonsense. The CUG is a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    The only rankings that actually matter (if at all) are the international ones

ReputationRep:
    Lolololol, this gave me a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    Are they having a laugh?

City, 18th. KCL, 42nd. Logic redefined.

What's more annoying is that this clearly manipulative piece of propaganda is going to feature in the next prospectus associated with the institutions with inflated places, like Surrey, Lancaster, City, Falmouth, etc. How can they boast about an accolade that's drenched in utter *******s?
    Surrey, Lancaster and City are all decent universities though

Obviously KCL should be higher, but you're basing your view on prestige which is a completely different thing to student experience which is what these rankings seem to be based on....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaskOfKeaton)
    Even though it's a bit nonsense...

I'm glad Bristol is number 38.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MVA786)
    Im deciding between City or Brunel for Economics at the moment, any insights please?
    City seems higher, but I keep hearing not to trust league tables....Plus apparently City has a high failure rate for Econ, but havent seen this on any league tables?
    Can't speak for Brunel but City (due its location & reputation) has great links with many investment banks, making it easier to get internships etc
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Metrododo)
    The only rankings that actually matter (if at all) are the international ones
    Are you sure? How is, for example, citations/faculty which carries a 20% weighting on QS relevant to an undergrad? On top of a 40% weighting for "academic reputation" which is a similar factor anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Surrey is my insurance lol, what's it doing in 4th?

(Physics, Warwick is firm)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    Surrey is my insurance lol, what's it doing in 4th?

(Physics, Warwick is firm)
    No one really knows, dw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Are you sure? How is, for example, citations/faculty which carries a 20% weighting on QS relevant to an undergrad? On top of a 40% weighting for "academic reputation" which is a similar factor anyway.
    Although I hope I will have good lecturers (which they seem to be according to friends in the year above, plus 90+ student satisfaction for my course allegedly) - I care much more about the actual prestige of the Uni and consequently the intrinsic links it has with various industries to help obtain certain graduate jobs.

Citations/faculty etc may indeed be less directly useful to an undergrad, but having professors that are the top of the field could prove to be a much more enriching experience. Quite frankly, I find that having 3/8 of the criteria for the Guardian rankings being directly linked to satisfaction quite risible - it's an important factor, yes, but it should only be 1/8. Furthermore, most of the academic literature is already available in various papers, textbooks, etc. either online or at the Universities' respective libraries, so a lot of the actual preparation is what you make of it anyway

ReputationRep:
    You must be really bad at interpreting what people say because I mentioned NOTHING about prestige. Stop twisting my words. I am in AS, I'm applying this year and I'm an international student so I'm unfamiliar with other less (quoting you) "PRESTIGIOUS" universities. If you get so butthurt over something I wasn't even implying well.....good on you. I said NOT to follow league tables in general because they're biased. Learn to read every detail into what someone says before jumping to a conclusion. Also, switching to personal attacks? Typical. I've seen that before.
    You fam, are on FIRE. :angry:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Although I hope I will have good lecturers (which they seem to be according to friends in the year above, plus 90+ student satisfaction for my course allegedly) - I care much more about the actual prestige of the Uni and consequently the intrinsic links it has with various industries to help obtain certain graduate jobs.

Citations/faculty etc may indeed be less directly useful to an undergrad, but having professors that are the top of the field could prove to be a much more enriching experience. Quite frankly, I find that having 3/8 of the criteria for the Guardian rankings being directly linked to satisfaction quite risible - it's an important factor, yes, but it should only be 1/8. Furthermore, most of the academic literature is already available in various papers, textbooks, etc. either online or at the Universities' respective libraries, so a lot of the actual preparation is what you make of it anyway
    Academic "reputation" doesn't equal links to industry. If anything, the former polys and "new" universities have amongst the very best industry links. Maybe Surrey and Lboro's well established work connections are reflected in their rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingYusHalo)
    You fam, are on FIRE. :angry:
    sorry That was a bit brash of me, I admit.

ReputationRep:
    No worries.
    You are set to be a politician. Team up with George Galloway and you can rule the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Academic "reputation" doesn't equal links to industry. If anything, the former polys and "new" universities have amongst the very best industry links. Maybe Surrey and Lboro's well established work connections are reflected in their rankings.
    Such as? And indeed they clearly have a high percentage of grad jobs after 6 months, but are these jobs necessarily as competitive as those obtained by peers at Imperial, LSE, Warwick, UCL, or even KCL? If anything these rankings are mostly a reflection of who's happy at University - hence the abysmal ranking for KCL

ReputationRep:
    Citations/faculty etc may indeed be less directly useful to an undergrad, but having professors that are the top of the field could prove to be a much more enriching experience.
    I wonder. From experience, how this bears on the undergraduate experience is often that "this module is unavailable in 15/16 as Professor Fancypants has a Leverhulme research grant/is spending a sabbatical year at UC Berkeley".

ReputationRep:
    Oh you didn't respond to my previous comment that has received thumbs up from people agreeing with me? Didn't think so, don't be quick to jump down people's throats in future if you can't hold your own hun

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.