The Student Room Group

Shouldn't only people of UK heritage be able to vote in the eu referendum?

Scroll to see replies

No - citizens of the United Kingdom who have lived here for at least 5 years and have an English passport.

The reason you should be able to vote if this is the case is because you are living permanently in this country and so any of its laws and whatnot will have an impact on your life.
(edited 7 years ago)
You're pretty dumb if you think the "British people" build up England. If not for immigrants this country would be nothing right now.
Original post by JamesN88
Define indigenous.

Do you mean only the Celtic parts of Britain?

I think he means people who can prove by doing ancestry tests that they have blood from:

a) Berber (North Africa) - That would be many Welsh people (not sure how - perhaps via spain).
b) Romans - and thus Italians (via 400 years of occupation)
c) Scandinavia and Germany
d) Ireland
e) India and China - empire (eg people like Duncan Smith who, I think might be Chinese via his grand mother)
f) Turks - That would be Boris Johnson by his great granddad
g) Israelis - That would be East Enders from the 1930s who intermarried like mad
h) West Indies (The last descendant of the Roman Empire died in the West Indies)
i) USA - Gawd knows how many yanks have british blood. Hate to think. Trump alone.
By that logic a lot of people wouldn't be able to vote in an American presidential election.
What does 'indigenous to Britain mean'? I was born and raised in the UK and consider myself British, but one of my parents is Portuguese and the other a naturalised British citizen. Does that mean I shouldn't be eligible to vote because I'm not 'British enough' for you?

How far back do you have to go to be 'indigenous to Britain'.

This is a pretty racist thread.
Original post by TheTechN1304
What does 'indigenous to Britain mean'? I was born and raised in the UK and consider myself British, but one of my parents is Portuguese and the other a naturalised British citizen. Does that mean I shouldn't be eligible to vote because I'm not 'British enough' for you?

How far back do you have to go to be 'indigenous to Britain'.

This is a pretty racist thread.

King Arthur was African.

I kid you not.

from link:
However, Bernard Wellings says that the "dark folk" who still live in the Welsh heartlands are evidence of the original North African peoples who where the early inhabitants of Wales and the British Isles. (Visit Cerrig y Drudion, Bala, Llangwm if you don't believe me.)
http://robt.shepherd.tripod.com/welsh.html

This link is also in Scotland (BBC):
Scotland's DNA also found that more than 1% of all Scotsmen are direct descendants of the Berber and Tuareg tribesmen of the Sahara, a lineage which is around 5600 years old.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17740638
Original post by magicelephant
wasteman both of u

Very matureof you.....

Just because you are from the EU does not automatically mean you are pro EU.... You really need to get your head out of your ass...
How do you know if they feel allegiance to a country or not, so you are basically advocating a UK with segregation... hmm your true colours are coming out..

Has anyone noticed that Farage doesn't look British? His surname is French Huguenot, and we spent centuries fighting that lot... Who knew the man himself campaigning to vote to leave is probably not an 'indigenous' brit...

Your logic just bedazzles me..
Original post by FredOrJohn
I think he means people who can prove by doing ancestry tests that they have blood from:

a) Berber (North Africa) - That would be many Welsh people (not sure how - perhaps via spain).
b) Romans - and thus Italians (via 400 years of occupation)
c) Scandinavia and Germany
d) Ireland
e) India and China - empire (eg people like Duncan Smith who, I think might be Chinese via his grand mother)
f) Turks - That would be Boris Johnson by his great granddad
g) Israelis - That would be East Enders from the 1930s who intermarried like mad
h) West Indies (The last descendant of the Roman Empire died in the West Indies)
i) USA - Gawd knows how many yanks have british blood. Hate to think. Trump alone.

Add in the fact that the Romans used auxiliary recruits from across their Empire so **** knows where some of them were really from.
Reply 68
Original post by ivybridge
No - citizens of the United Kingdom who have lived here for at least 5 years and have an English passport.

The reason you should be able to vote if this is the case is because you are living permanently in this country and so any of its laws and whatnot will have an impact on your life.

Well, I predict a pretty low turnout with that criteria, hands up everyone who does have an English passport. In fact hands up anyone who has ever had an English passport.

The closest reference to an English passport may be within Shakespeare's Henry V, having said that a fair number of non "English" within the ranks of his army.

That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made
And crowns for convoy put into his purse:
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
"In this world there is room for everyone and the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone."

[video="youtube;w8HdOHrc3OQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8HdOHrc3OQ[/video]
Im British and my mum's traced her side of the family back till 1760.

I think if you live here and pay taxes then you should get a vote.,
Original post by Davij038
Im British and my mum's traced her side of the family back till 1760.

I think if you live here and pay taxes then you should get a vote.,

UPDATED:

You should be the 9th generations, assuming the generation time is a constant value of 25, I took your age in consideration this time xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cattleofra
You should be the 4th generations, assuming the UK's average death rate is a constant value of 65 (should be a bit higher than that though), and I'm not really sure how old you are, so there are a lot of factors I didn't take in considerations :P

P.S. Assuming you are 4th generation in your family tree, I hope you feel British enough

I'm 24 and I'm pretty sure I'm more than 4th generation (records just stopped as bacj then my ancestors were farmers in North Wales. I feel English/ British/ European :wink: (I've got some Dutch ancestry somewhere too)

My step dad moved from his birth country of Vietnam to the UK when he was 11 and is other than biological make up identical to a native (people often think he's white British on the phone). He's also voting Brexit.
nope i don't think so:tongue:
Original post by Fractite
Sorry did I say 82%?

I meant 18%.

But very few people are actually from Britain originally.
The vast majority of the population come from some other country, whether they arrived recently or hundreds (or even thousands) of years ago.

Where you are from is not about where your ancestors lived, it's about your ethnic identity. There are many hundreds of unique ethnic identities in the world and they all arose because a set of people lived in a certain area for a long time and mainly bred with each other and not with outsiders. Nobody in the world is entirely 'pure' in the sense that we are all related to people of other races, and indeed most of us have relations within 3 or 4 generations who are from another country, even in rural areas with no immigrants.

But there is such a thing as a British ethnicity, because there is nobody else in the world who resembles someone of largely British ancestry. You can tell without a shadow of a doubt that someone with a certain genetic profile is of British ancestry, i.e. most of their ancestors throughout the last few millenia lived in Britain. They may have non-British ancestors, but on the level of the population as a whole such people are absorbed into the indigenous British ethnicity: putting 10 peanuts into a bowl of 10,000 walnuts doesn't make turn it into mixed nuts.

I don't say that to denigrate people of non-British ancestry: the reason for this is because people were generally quite sedentary throughout most of history, so outside of certain areas, most notably the Americas, and big cities like London, we tend to preserve our heritage in our genetics. That's not to say this is a good thing, it's just the way it is. There are some people who are objectively indigenous Brits (and indeed many people have sub-identities below this, indigenous Scots and Northerners and Cornish people, although at this level it starts getting a little more complicated and less clear-cut). Most people in Britain are ethnically 'indigenous Brits', by which I mean their genetics would show them to be of majority British ancestry within the past 4000 years or so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending