Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the cause of detente and why it failed/succeeded does anyone know what else could be asked?😬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamsyng)
    Apart from the cause of detente and why it failed/succeeded does anyone know what else could be asked?😬
    They could ask how committed the superpowers were to detente

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give predictions and factors for Sino-Soviet Relations, Detente and Post-Stalin Thaw.

My main problem is actually applying my knowledge to questions, I know almost everything, but I just don't know how to formulate it into an actual answer

ReputationRep:
    True but haven't they asked that before? I hope it doesn't come again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leah2567)
    Can anyone give predictions and factors for Sino-Soviet Relations, Detente and Post-Stalin Thaw.

My main problem is actually applying my knowledge to questions, I know almost everything, but I just don't know how to formulate it into an actual answer
    I have the same problem!! My teachers predicted the cause of the thaw where you could talk about economy (soviet poor economy), also how they had each consolidated their spheres of influence, the dangers of the arms race and kruschevs policy! This is what I have been taught anyway! Also the cause of sino-soviet split is predicted! They could also ask why there was an arms race too!
    I'm so worried because there's so much they could ask and I just don't think I'll know how to structure my essay and if I'll remember enough!

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem!! My teachers predicted the cause of the thaw where you could talk about economy (soviet poor economy), also how they had each consolidated their spheres of influence, the dangers of the arms race and kruschevs policy! This is what I have been taught anyway! Also the cause of sino-soviet split is predicted! They could also ask why there was an arms race too!
    I'm so worried because there's so much they could ask and I just don't think I'll know how to structure my essay and if I'll remember enough!

Ok, so I just went through all my notes and found factors for three topics!

Post-Stalin Thaw:
    -Role of personality (Stalin, Khrushchev)
    -Peaceful Coexistence and American reactions to it (Dulles, Eisenhower, Kennedy)
    -Impact on West (Hungarian Uprising)
    -Paris Summit, U2 incident, initial meetings of Kennedy and Khrushchev in Vienna
    -Continuation of the Cold War after death of Stalin and Truman (USSR try improving relations - cuts to Red Army and withdrawal from Finland and Austria)

Arms Race:
    -Test Ban Treaty, 1963 and Hotline Link
    -Nuclear Tech and Delivery systems
    -Impact of tech developments on international relations
    -Missile Crisis
    -MAD/Brinkmanship theories
    -Nuclear superiority/parity and continuation of Arms Race

Sino-Soviet Relations:
    -Ping-Pong Diplomacy (Nixon visits China)
    -Personality clashes (Mao, Khrushchev)
    -Geopolitical encirclement (if China is mentioned)
    -Deterioration of Soviet-Chinese relations from 1958
    -Reasons for signing TFAMA (Outbreak of Korea, China vs Taiwan)
    -National Interests
    -Border Disputes

I don't have any for Detente, but I hope this can help! Also, you definitely don't need every single factor, you could just pick and choose and bend them to fit your argument/question.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leah2567)
    Ok, so I just went through all my notes and found factors for three topics!

Post-Stalin Thaw:
    -Role of personality (Stalin, Khrushchev)
    -Peaceful Coexistence and American reactions to it (Dulles, Eisenhower, Kennedy)
    -Impact on West (Hungarian Uprising)
    -Paris Summit, U2 incident, initial meetings of Kennedy and Khrushchev in Vienna
    -Continuation of the Cold War after death of Stalin and Truman (USSR try improving relations - cuts to Red Army and withdrawal from Finland and Austria)

Arms Race:
    -Test Ban Treaty, 1963 and Hotline Link
    -Nuclear Tech and Delivery systems
    -Impact of tech developments on international relations
    -Missile Crisis
    -MAD/Brinkmanship theories
    -Nuclear superiority/parity and continuation of Arms Race

Sino-Soviet Relations:
    -Ping-Pong Diplomacy (Nixon visits China)
    -Personality clashes (Mao, Khrushchev)
    -Geopolitical encirclement (if China is mentioned)
    -Deterioration of Soviet-Chinese relations from 1958
    -Reasons for signing TFAMA (Outbreak of Korea, China vs Taiwan)
    -National Interests
    -Border Disputes

I don't have any for Detente, but I hope this can help! Also, you definitely don't need every single factor, you could just pick and choose and bend them to fit your argument/question.

Good Luck!
    Putting it all together like that doesn't seem TOO bad! Let's just hope the question isn't nasty! Thank you and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to thank Edexcel for following the pattern and not screwing us over in the last year

ReputationRep:
    I did causes of sino Soviet split! Did anyone else? And what yeas did you talk about?

ReputationRep:
    The questions were decent. I just wish I had more time on part B but I conclude it. My timing issues will be the death of me.

ReputationRep:
    I did peaceful coexistence and the beginning, I'm so happy those questions came up

ReputationRep:
    I did the peaceful coexistence question and completely forgot to mention the Cuban missile crisis not realising the dates went to 1962!! Do you think I'll get marked down for missing such an important point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybound123)
    I did the peaceful coexistence question and completely forgot to mention the Cuban missile crisis not realising the dates went to 1962!! Do you think I'll get marked down for missing such an important point
    It's a bit weird innit, cause I always associate it with the arms race. I didn't go into loads of details with it but I did decide to mention it. But there's so much other stuff you could have used that I don't reckon it would be a major issue.

ReputationRep:
    They don't penalise for not putting something in, provided you've got enough of everything else I'm sure you'll be fine :-) Even if they did (which they probably won't) it would likely only be one mark for knowledge

ReputationRep:
    I did causes of sino Soviet split! Did anyone else? And what yeas did you talk about?
    yeah same here..What did you include? do you still remember the question? just to make sure I did not misread the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maian6396)
    yeah same here..What did you include? do you still remember the question? just to make sure I did not misread the question
    Me too! It was something like 'Why did the relationship go from an alliance to confrontation during the 1960's?' I wrote about ideologies, personal rivalries, national military interests and mentioned the 1950 Treaty. The dates were a bit weird but I used all past events as arguments for laying the foundation for the 60's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abi.mitchell)
    Me too! It was something like 'Why did the relationship go from an alliance to confrontation during the 1960's?' I wrote about ideologies, personal rivalries, national military interests and mentioned the 1950 Treaty. The dates were a bit weird but I used all past events as arguments for laying the foundation for the 60's.
    I did the exact same! The fact it said 1960s really threw me as all the causes were mostly before the 1960s or early 60s so I wrote about reasons (ideological, national interest and personalities) for the split which was in the 60s? I assumed that is what is what asking but I did mention the ussuri river dispute too!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mention the CMC because it isn't that relevant. If I were to have mentioned it I would have said it was the result of the failure of peaceful coexistence. Listing stuff like Geneva Conference, Finland withdrawal, uprisings and secret speech are more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abi.mitchell)
    In my plan, I wrote about personal rivalries in 1958 photo-opportunity and 1959 Khrushchev to China but realised the timeframe was during the 1960s therefore I did not include it in my actual answer. I wrote about ideological divisions such as peaceful coexistence resulting in summits in 1960s like paris or vienna, while mao wanted revolution like even with nuclear like in Quemoy late 1950s early 1960s. there is a bit personal attacks here but apart from that, I did not write much. I also mention brezhnev doctine and czech crisis 1968 while China rapprochement with the US as a sign of confrontational relations. And my last para I wrote about national borders disputes masked by ideological arguments. And USSR support India, Indonesia against China.

I dont know what else to put in really...plus I did not finish the later part..

how about you mate

ReputationRep:
    What did people think of the end?? Source 2 had most of my economic statistics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.