Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by #JOSH45#)
    I can tell you that first point of yours is incredibly untrue.
    Then please do so. Saying "no you're wrong" is not an argument.

You're taking my Saudi Arabia example slightly too literally. This is a Church of England country and it ought to remain that way. But not be a soft touch and allow this "everything goes" mentality that the left has encouraged, because it's simply not true.
    I'm only taking it as you said it. I'm not suggesting you wish the UK to convert to Islam. I'm saying that you're stating we follow their policy of extremely harsh laws for even minor offences, which is exactly what you said we should do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
    Then please do so. Saying "no you're wrong" is not an argument.

I'm only taking it as you said it. I'm not suggesting you wish the UK to convert to Islam. I'm saying that you're stating we follow their policy of extremely harsh laws for even minor offences, which is exactly what you said we should do.
    It is when it's backed with experience.

Again, mixing my words, I didn't say Britain should punish people for minor crimes, I simply used it as an example for a society which exists within the laws that's set for it by its government that people rarely break. Britain is a soft touch, we all know that, let's not pretend otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
    It's wording, the secondary effects of drugs are essentially still the effects of drugs, because without the drugs then they wouldn't happen at all.

I'm not sure what your argument is, drug decriminalization in Portugal resulted in people overall using drugs safer and thus damaging themselves less, thus reducing the danger that addicts pose to themselves and others.

Hard drugs like heroin can be used safely, but it's obviously very difficult and would require very good self-control to avoid addiction, and it's such an addictive drug that it's better to just avoid it entirely. I'm not saying that all of these people are using hard drugs safely, just that they're using them safer, so they're no longer putting themselves at as much risk, and as such rates of things like HIV amonst addicts have gone down dramtically.
    Well no? All you have to do is not share needles and you probably drastically reduce the chances of contracting bloodbourne viruses. If you smoke heroin, you probably won't contract HIV. It's not to do with the drug as such.

You have to be careful attributing all the success numbers to decriminalization itself, there are variety of other factors at play in the overall decrease in overdoses, disease, usage etc.

I think decriminalization is a good idea btw, it's a good start. But they should never be available to purchase legally for personal consumption.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Well no? All you have to do is not share needles and you probably drastically reduce the chances of contracting bloodbourne viruses. If you smoke heroin, you probably won't contract HIV. It's not to do with the drug as such.

You have to be careful attributing all the success numbers to decriminalization itself, there are variety of other factors at play in the overall decrease in overdoses, disease, usage etc.

I think decriminalization is a good idea btw, it's a good start. But they should never be available to purchase legally for personal consumption.
    But that (needles) is still an issue helped by decriminalization - if the government took a more scientific approach to drug policy then they'd likely be more willing to educate people on using drugs safely, resulting in said reduction of deaths due to things like HIV from needle sharing.

Regardless, we agree on the topic of decriminalization, so, yay I suppose
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It is when it's backed with experience.
    Again, no. Anecdotes are not a basis for science, nor are they a basis for laws.

Again, mixing my words, I didn't say Britain should punish people for minor crimes, I simply used it as an example for a society which exists within the laws that's set for it by its government that people rarely break. Britain is a soft touch, we all know that, let's not pretend otherwise.
    But you're arguing that imposing stricter laws on drugs would solve the problem, when it's already been shown to make the problem worse. Saying "but britain is weak because of the left wing" doesn't refute that at all, and just makes it seem as if your argument is born out of a hatred for any left wing policies rather than actually wanting to listen to the other side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    If as many people used heroin as currently smoke and drink, it'd be a different picture.
    Sarcasm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niv1234)
    Isn't that just because less people have access to heroine?
    No man, it's a government conspiracy! Heroin makes you live to one hundred... they try and control us by numbing our brains with alcheeehol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, Superwoman doesn't exist...

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Firstly, people should have dominion over their own body and what they put in it -- it's not the state's business. Secondly, prohibition only shifts power to the black market, which puts control of the narcotics trade into the hands of dangerous criminals. If the drug trade was legal and in the open, drugs could be manufactured and sold by law-abiding parties, making it a safer affair. It would also take business away from gangs and cartels (although here the state should be wary not to tax drugs too heavily, or we'd see the same bootlegging/buttlegging we do with alcohol and cigarettes) . Finally, it would save governments billions on the largely ineffective war on drugs.

ReputationRep:
    We live in a world where anyone with the internet, a bank account and a home address can have their postman deliver whatever drugs they want to their doorstep within 2 working days. The war on drugs has failed. Time to legalise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John55)
    Sarcasm...
    Oh, sorry. Sarcasm's a little hard to parse when I can't hear your tone of voice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.