Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    I'm almost going to be taking the same as you:
    Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology (and an EPQ )

******** myself because I've heard the same - apparently Chemistry is a killer
    Same as me. I regret Bio. Choose Wisely..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stormblazer999)
    I'm doing the exact same A-levels as you. Apparently Biology is the hardest of the sciences which is quite unusual...
    Hardest because it is the most boring. That of course is subjective, but it definitely is dry IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailedMyMocks)
    Hardest because it is the most boring. That of course is subjective, but it definitely is dry IMO.
    I wouldn't necessarily say it's boring, it's quite interesting actually. But yeah the context itself is kinda dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stormblazer999)
    I wouldn't necessarily say it's boring, it's quite interesting actually. But yeah the context itself is kinda dead.
    Each to their own. I personally, cannot memorize things. Which is basically what most of biology is. Granted there are application questions, however you do need to recall concepts to help you answer..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samii123)
    In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?
    Yes. Yes, it is. You think GCSEs was hard? If you don't, you're right. You haven't come close to hard until you reach A-Levels. Imagine GCSEs x 100. Don't get overconfident, don't take it lightly, don't think it'll be easy or it could ruin you.

ReputationRep:
    In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?
    pshaw i'm taking all those AND further maths

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry not too bad at AS but will be such a burden at A2.
    Maths is easy if youre naturally good at it otherwise is a burden.
    Biology not so bad just a lot of workload and too much general biology knowledge required - pretty much the same difficulty at AS and A2 I'd say
    Can't speak for physics.
    Otherwise don't let people discourage you - people have gotten though these 4 before and done well so no reason why you can't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    Chemistry not too bad at AS but will be such a burden at A2.
    Maths is easy if youre naturally good at it otherwise is a burden.
    Biology not so bad just a lot of workload and too much general biology knowledge required - pretty much the same difficulty at AS and A2 I'd say
    Can't speak for physics.
    Otherwise don't let people discourage you - people have gotten though these 4 before and done well so no reason why you can't
    Motivational

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_JoKeR)
    I'm in year 10 and they just started me on AS Chemistry in separate lessons. It doesn't seem too bad content-wise to be honest
    jeez.. why in year 10?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailedMyMocks)
    Same as me. I regret Bio. Choose Wisely..
    Yeah aha I'm a bit apprehensive about Bio because of all the plant crap that they throw in there but I want to do something like medicine or biochem lmao
    How do you find the other 3 subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I'm sitting the A2s this year, but in my ASs I got (in percent UMS):
    100 - AS Maths
    98.33... - AS Further Maths
    98 - Physics (100 in the written exams)
    90.5 something - Chemistry (100 IIRC in the practical lol)
    Wow that is extremely impressive. What do you think you'll get at the end of A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM45367)
    jeez.. why in year 10?
    Way ahead of everyone else in chemistry so they asked if I wanted to start AS content early since I was planning on taking it. Still do my exam in year 11 which is good and don't do my AS exam till year 12 so I get a bit of time to relax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattismad)
    I don't know what exam board you are doing but I wouldn't say its a killer. It's just the content is not the best, you may find yourself under a lot of stress as the amount of content you need to cover is phenomenal.

You can do it though,
    think of the outcome if you were able to smash it
    I'll be doing AQA for Bio and Chem (and OCR MEI for Maths & FM).
    Yeah, the thing that draws me to it is how challenging it sounds... in a weird way, I just imagine that it would be such a satisfying subject if you get it right (will probably regret saying this in 2 years :lol:)
    What year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    Math over the two years consists of 6 modules, C1,C2,C3,C4,M1, S1, they aren't really that bad (except C4 and S1), Biology is very easy, physics isnt that bad (supposedly) and from what i hear chemistry is tough! English lit however, as mentioned previous really is is difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomicjellyfish)
    pshaw i'm taking all those AND further maths
    I don't think the college I'm going to even gives you the chance for 5 A-levels, especially with the new A-Level reforms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    I do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and Biology

Maths and FM are fine. Just practice and you know what to do.
    Chemistry has got lots of calculations in it but is also fine. Easier than biology

Biology is the worst. Just too much content. I remember skimming through my condensed notes took over 2 hours.

Chemistry is good because you apply knowledge, which to me is more rewarding.
    Oh cool What year are you in and what do you want to do with these A Levels?
    You've confirmed what I seem to have heard from everybody else which is good I guess, because at least I know what to expect next year
    Does Biology contain a lot of memory work then? Lots of people that are taking Bio seem to be taking subjects like English Lit and History etc, so I'm worried that it's going to be one of those subjects, as opposed to something like Maths where you just practice etc

ReputationRep:
    It's almost the hardest combination, just swap biology for further maths and you're good to go.

ReputationRep:
    Maths - it should be easy if you keep practicing
    Biology - Some advice would be just to keep on top of things and keep going over topics you have previously learnt
    Physics - Should be okay if your good at maths (so keep practicing maths)
    Chemistry - Again keep going over the topics you have already learnt and if you don't understand something go check on the internet (I find Youtube videos explaining it helps)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    I'll be doing AQA for Bio and Chem (and OCR MEI for Maths & FM).
    Yeah, the thing that draws me to it is how challenging it sounds... in a weird way, I just imagine that it would be such a satisfying subject if you get it right (will probably regret saying this in 2 years :lol:)
    What year are you in?
    As long as you are willing to put in at least 3 hours a night realistically you should be fine. And too right! I do all the same apart from Physics instead of Biology.

I am in Year 13, so second year of A-Levels. It will shape you as a person and test your ability but opens so many doors.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and Biology AS Levels are eaaaaaasy.

Maths just requires lots of practice and Biology just requires lots of memorisation.

Chemistry is a living hell. But take it anyway, because some people think it's a toss and others think it's horrible. Don't let others opinions get in the way of doing what you want or scaring you - if you find you're really struggling, you can always change subjects at the beginning of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.