Spanish
    French
    Portuguese

ReputationRep:
    English and a bit of Spanish.
    I also speak in memes

ReputationRep:
    English and French.

Mandarin to a 11-month old baby conversational level.

ReputationRep:
    German
    English
    Indonesian
    Latin (If that counts)

and some french, italian and russian (some phrases, mostly russian swearwords xD)

ReputationRep:
    2.5 English,Arabic and Italian (not completely)

I can speak French and Japanese to some extent but on a an intermediate or basic level

ReputationRep:
    only english fluently but i can cope with
    german
    french
    swedish
    russian
    spanish
    dutch
    polish (i know best of the above other than english)

ReputationRep:
    i speak English, Arabic, Amazigh (spoken in north africa by some tribes) and Spanish

ReputationRep:
    English, French, Spanish and basic verbs/grammar of Portuguese

ReputationRep:
    english, urdu, punjabi .

ReputationRep:
    English
    Punjabi
    Urdu/Hindi

Would love to learn French, Arabic or Spanish

ReputationRep:
    Pakhto/pashto
    Persian/dari/farsi
    English
    Arabic (not fluent at all probs doesn't count)
    Urdu/punjabi/hindi (idk how, but nervous while speaking)
    French (a bit so probs does not count)

ReputationRep:
    English, Russian, Latvian, Japanese - at least intermediate and some ASL, Korean and Mandarin. ^^
    Gonna study Spanish/French and Mandarin at uni this year c:

ReputationRep:
    Can speak
    English
    French

Can read with the help of a dictionary
    Latin
    Ancient Greek
    Italian

Am also learning and can hold a very basic conversation in:
    Russian
    Bengali

Would like to learn
    Scottish Gaelic
    Swedish
    Indonesian

ReputationRep:
    english
    french
    german
    latin - (v. useful of course)
    li'l bit of mandarin

ReputationRep:
    4 languages

ReputationRep:
    In order of fluency:
    English
    French
    Mandarin Chinese
    I'm hoping to study French with either German or Russian from scratch at uni and I've started learning other languages but didn't commit to them, such as Dutch (which I really loved and hope to pick back up again soon) and Italian. My biggest goal is being able to speak like 10 languages, three isn't enough for me haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiefuller)
    english
    french
    german
    latin - (v. useful of course)
    li'l bit of mandarin
    The following is not a personal attack against you but just a generalised rant inspired by the bracketed section of your post:

A lot of people have a very strange idea about language learning and why you should do it. Let's face it: there's not much point learning any language these days except English as a UK resident, unless you specifically want to live in a particular foreign country or talk to a significant other. Yes, they can make you more employable, but so can any other in-demand skill. There are better skills to learn which require less effort than learning a foreign language from scratch if you want to make yourself employable.

And actually, languages are getting exponentially less valuable by the day, as children of the massive immigrant boom of the 1980s and 90s begin to enter the job market. Thousands of people in this country speak 100% fluent English plus one, two or three other languages 100% fluently that they picked up during their childhood. How can you hope to compete with them? The best languages to learn are the most obscure ones, not the most commonly learned ones. I can direct you to a job instantly if you speak Tigrinya or Latvian, but speaking French, Spanish or German is quite frankly a waste of your time if you are doing it for practical reasons relating to employment and don't have a specific desire to go to a specific country, or perhaps to work in the tourism industry. There's certainly no point learning more than one or two extra for most peole, it's just a waste of your time since it harms your fluency.

But Latin is as useful as any other language, arguably more useful than French or German, for the following reasons: firstly, there's a shortage of Latin teachers. Secondly, it looks more impressive than common modern languages for certain types of employer to have it to A-Level standard. Thirdly, not many people apply for it at uni level, so you've got a better chance of getting into Oxbridge if you apply to study Classics rather than Politics or Modern Languages. And most Classics graduates get jobs in politics, business, arts and culture or media, not teaching or academia.

And then of course, you have to ask: why bother learning languages at all? Most people don't learn languages solely for employment reasons, they learn it to broaden their horizons and open up a new set of people to talk to. Well, true enough, Latin has no speakers any more, but it has plenty of texts, which is what you are learning to read when you learn Latin. We learn languages to bridge a cultural divide, in short to speak to others who can't speak your own language and learn new things. In our multicultural society the cultural divide is getting less and less, but the divide between ourselves and our history is getting greater and greater. So in that sense learning dead languages is more important than learning any other kind of language: they are in demand because they are extremely obscure, not in a pecuniary sense but in a moral sense: without Latin learners we would totally lose all links with the past, and that is something that can't really be undone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    The following is not a personal attack against you but just a generalised rant inspired by the bracketed section of your post:

A lot of people have a very strange idea about language learning and why you should do it. Let's face it: there's not much point learning any language these days except English as a UK resident, unless you specifically want to live in a particular foreign country or talk to a significant other. Yes, they can make you more employable, but so can any other in-demand skill. There are better skills to learn which require less effort than learning a foreign language from scratch if you want to make yourself employable.

And actually, languages are getting exponentially less valuable by the day, as children of the massive immigrant boom of the 1980s and 90s begin to enter the job market. Thousands of people in this country speak 100% fluent English plus one, two or three other languages 100% fluently that they picked up during their childhood. How can you hope to compete with them? The best languages to learn are the most obscure ones, not the most commonly learned ones. I can direct you to a job instantly if you speak Tigrinya or Latvian, but speaking French, Spanish or German is quite frankly a waste of your time if you are doing it for practical reasons relating to employment and don't have a specific desire to go to a specific country, or perhaps to work in the tourism industry. There's certainly no point learning more than one or two extra for most peole, it's just a waste of your time since it harms your fluency.

But Latin is as useful as any other language, arguably more useful than French or German, for the following reasons: firstly, there's a shortage of Latin teachers. Secondly, it looks more impressive than common modern languages for certain types of employer to have it to A-Level standard. Thirdly, not many people apply for it at uni level, so you've got a better chance of getting into Oxbridge if you apply to study Classics rather than Politics or Modern Languages. And most Classics graduates get jobs in politics, business, arts and culture or media, not teaching or academia.

And then of course, you have to ask: why bother learning languages at all? Most people don't learn languages solely for employment reasons, they learn it to broaden their horizons and open up a new set of people to talk to. Well, true enough, Latin has no speakers any more, but it has plenty of texts, which is what you are learning to read when you learn Latin. We learn languages to bridge a cultural divide, in short to speak to others who can't speak your own language and learn new things. In our multicultural society the cultural divide is getting less and less, but the divide between ourselves and our history is getting greater and greater. So in that sense learning dead languages is more important than learning any other kind of language: they are in demand because they are extremely obscure, not in a pecuniary sense but in a moral sense: without Latin learners we would totally lose all links with the past, and that is something that can't really be undone.
    Wow, I'm sorry to have sparked such a response, I by no means meant to cause hate towards you or the Latin language itself!

I take Latin for GCSE and chose to take it for a reason! I only added that bracketed bit (sorry it was sarcastic; I should try and avoid sarcasm on the Internet!) as a joke as my friends - who also take Latin - and I sometimes like to make fun of it a bit as Latin learning has been quite a difficult journey for us. (That was mostly because of the teachers tbh.)

However, I definitely think that Latin is useful as I have had plenty of experience reading Latin texts and it has definitely helped me with learning the other languages I mentioned in my previous post!

Again, sorry for the sarcasm - I'm not terribly sure why I made the joke - I think it was just because I have not had the best time learning Latin myself, but that does not mean others won't either

ReputationRep:
    English, Russian and some Polish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    5 languages:
    - English
    - Hindi
    - Punjabi
    - Urdu
    - French (basics)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.