Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why we should ban PE in school Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JordanHardy)
    It's cool. I just think that's its quite important to have PE at school. Child obesity is on the rise and if running around for an hour every couple of days helps, then how is that a bad thing. I mean its not a lot of exercise is it? If anything, we should have PE at least once a day.
    pe isnt about excerise, it's a lesson for those popular kids to show off their tight nike clothes. i mean it takes 10 minutes for everyone to get change. 5 minute to set up things. you have to get back 10 minutes early to get change soon not a lot of time to actually do sport anyways

ReputationRep:
    I used to hate PE too, but then my foot muscles screwed up, and I ended up not being able to do any sports for years. I still can't do any running without screaming from the pain. And until recently, I didn't do any exercise because I stopped doing PE and I stopped doing any extracurricular sports in high school. That led to me getting very unfit and quite fat. It wasn't at all pleasant.

After that experience, I now think there should be more sessions of PE in schools, because being unfit is horrible and kids should be educated on how to avoid that fate, while still maybe having a bit of fun. (and who doesn't enjoy rounders? It was the one thing I liked in PE. o.O)

I also think the Daily Mile scheme is a great idea, because a mile isn't even that far, but it really helps kids stay fit. (keep in mind that running a mile only takes about 15 minutes at most)

ReputationRep:
    I love pe wtf

ReputationRep:
    That's your opinion, as your entitled to. I don't see why it should be banned though, just because you don't like sports. I hate maths, but I still have to do that. Do you suggest removing maths from the curriculum
    You need maths you don't need PE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    pe isnt about excerise, it's a lesson for those popular kids to show off their tight nike clothes. i mean it takes 10 minutes for everyone to get change. 5 minute to set up things. you have to get back 10 minutes early to get change soon not a lot of time to actually do sport anyways
    But that's because they don't allow another time for PE, if the lesson was two hours long then timing wouldn't be an issue. It seems to me that your more upset by the fact that you don't fit in with other kids in a PE lesson, not that the actual lesson and what it teaches is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you realise that this is probably one of the stupidest posts i have ever seen on this, how ignorant can you be to argue that PE should be banned? like i could understand making it optional but not banned completely; society as a whole is becoming increasing overweight and initiatives such as mandatory PE classes are designed to counter this, without the organised classes it is unlikely that a majority of kids would get the 60 mins of exercise which is recommended!

ReputationRep:
    I hated PE having to play football every week with a bunch of try-hards who acted like it was the final of the World Cup was so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dom2375)
    You need maths you don't need PE
    So you don't need exercise? to learn to work as a team? to learn to be competitive? to burn off steam? to learn about fitness and how to keep a healthy body? Just because its not a written lesson, doesn't mean its not important. When are you going to need algebra or trigonometry outside school? Just because a few of you don't like it, doesn't mean it has to be banned.

ReputationRep:
    I used to hate PE but now we choose what to play and I can do softball which is literally the best thing ever...

I never get competitive in anything really except from that lol

ReputationRep:
    not everyone wants to be lazy like you lol

ReputationRep:
    I hated PE having to play football every week with a bunch of try-hards who acted like it was the final of the World Cup was so annoying.
    That is one of the things I really hated about high school PE to be fair. Our PE teachers took football far too seriously, and didn't even try to get those who didn't do it outside school to learn how to play. I didn't learn how to play until we'd already done several sessions of it, and I just observed everyone else playing. The teachers never thought to try telling me or anyone else what the rules are, yet they kept lecturing those who did badly for making mistakes that we didn't even know we'd made. (I rarely played football in primary school. We mainly played cricket and rounders in my primary)

Somehow, that was never a problem with any other sport, but football was indeed horrible.

ReputationRep:
    As an ex-fat girl I'm actually 50/50.

Yep, without a doubt PE was the home to many horrific events in my school life and has lead to plenty of self-esteem issues and blah blah blah, so mainly due to the social exclusion, vulnerability of overweight kids, and just embarrassment I'm all for making it optional

Buuut imagine the room where all these kids who opted out of PE would go- and the place would be mostly overweight kids which such singles them out even more which is like a blank canvas to bullies who'd pick on them even more for not even taking part! I'd deffo sit out and read or revise (months leading up to exams I'd get dressed but bring out my revision stuff and hide it under my shirt and ask to go to the toilet and revise)

Tbh the main effect PE has on kids is their behaviour- moving around for half an hour twice a week won't combat childhood obesity, but I overheard some chavs discussing their options and claimed "Nah mate without PE my behaviour in school would just... ah idek, I just need to move to help my anger, init?" and they all nodded and said "Init" in agreement- so for that reason alone, I feel like PE should still be on the curriculum but god no not for sixth form don;t do that to me nope nein danke

Yay rant over off 2 watch interstellar bye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by connormc199)
    I hope you realise that this is probably one of the stupidest posts i have ever seen on this, how ignorant can you be to argue that PE should be banned? like i could understand making it optional but not banned completely; society as a whole is becoming increasing overweight and initiatives such as mandatory PE classes are designed to counter this, without the organised classes it is unlikely that a majority of kids would get the 60 mins of exercise which is recommended!
    walking between lessons should be counted as one of your 5minutes a day sooo

ReputationRep:
    So you don't need exercise? to learn to work as a team? to learn to be competitive? to burn off steam? to learn about fitness and how to keep a healthy body? Just because its not a written lesson, doesn't mean its not important. When are you going to need algebra or trigonometry outside school? Just because a few of you don't like it, doesn't mean it has to be banned.
    You can do those things in your own time without being mocked for not being good at a sport and doesn't teach you to be a team, it's just popular kids stick together, then get angry that everybody else does hardly anything. Also, moving around for half an hour is hardly going combat childhood obesity.

Anyway, the average person is far more likely to use basic math skills (not algebra or trig) than play a sport, in their job.

ReputationRep:
    Although i completely disagree with this, you obviously feel really strongly about this judging by your name lol

ReputationRep:
    You can do those things in your own time without being mocked for not being good at a sport and doesn't teach you to be a team, it's just popular kids stick together, then get angry that everybody else does hardly anything. Also, moving around for half an hour is hardly going combat childhood obesity.

Anyway, the average person is far more likely to use basic math skills (not algebra or trig) than play a sport, in their job.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think you're only looking at it from one point of view. PE means a lot to some people as I'm sure your favourite lesson does to you.

ReputationRep:

Moving around for half an hour can combat childhood obesity though. That's half of your daily recommended exercise.

Assuming you have a decent diet, even just half an hour of exercise per day really can help you stay fit. It's certainly better than not doing any exercise at all.

ReputationRep:
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think you're only looking at it from one point of view. PE means a lot to some people as I'm sure your favourite lesson does to you.
    I don't think it should be banned I think it should be optional.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone hates PE until they start getting out of breath going down the stairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    Moving around for half an hour can combat childhood obesity though. That's half of your daily recommended exercise.

Assuming you have a decent diet, even just half an hour of exercise per day really can help you stay fit. It's certainly better than not doing any exercise at all.
    Exactly. I think their problem is not with the lesson itself, but their own insecurities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.