Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The Crisis Committee has provided the following response to the Government:

As a result of the actions of the Prime Minister to resolve the crisis:

- Depriving Northern Ireland of the limited control over its own affairs by suspending Stormont has been criticised as undemocratic, unionists have been angered at the loss of their assembly to a government far away in London to which they already have a limited voice and has led to calls for a unified Ireland from some moderate nationalists, which has increased loyalist hysteria

- Loyalists have been angered by the suspension of Stormont believing it to be an attempt to de-partition their province and unify Ireland, part of a republican plot, increasing the hysteria and causing a spike in sectarian violence as loyalist paramilitaries attack Catholics on the street.

- The divisions, barricades and crowd control equipment set up in Catholic areas have backfired, instead serving as propaganda for republican groups and, combined with the suspension of Stormont and loyalist attacks, have caused a boost in support for dissident republican parties and their armed wings have vastly increased their activity, for example a loyalist drive-by attack was recently ambushed by republicans and the occupants of the car killed by armed gunmen with a Kalashnikov assault rifle and several handguns.

- Overall, the government response has been seen as hostile to nationalists as well as loyalists, the police are being attacked by republicans and loyalists, and the investigations are seen as empty promises. The Republic's government is concerned and has criticised Westminster's response.

What will the government do?
    Forms of response could be commencing talks, sending in the army, removing police divisions, deploying special forces units, or de-partitioning the province and leaving it to the Republic to sort out.

ReputationRep:
    At first my opposition to the Crisis Committee was the Crisis Committee did not do anything, had bad ideas for crises, took a long time to respond, and had a disproportional government representation. I would repeat those criticism but I have now decided a new dimension of my opposition to the Crisis Committee is the crises are boring, the crises reflect the opinions of one member, the Crisis Committee does not add an exciting dimension to the MHoC, there Crisis Committee wastes forum space, the Crisis Committee members do not contribute to the crises being written, and the whole thing is a bizarre concept that has been proven to not work.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sounds to me like the abundance of paddys on the CC are trying to make a political statement here, especially with the final clause.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Sounds to me like the abundance of paddys on the CC are trying to make a political statement here, especially with the final clause.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i sadly didn't make it to the CC this time

Who do we have on it who are paddies, I know we have DMcGovern. Is Airmed on it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by adam9317)

Who do we have on it who are paddies, I know we have DMcGovern. Is Airmed on it?
    I'm on it but not contributed to this. Been busy this week or so.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous. I shall discuss this with my colleagues and perhaps provide a more thorough explanation later but at the moment and personally speaking, I do not acknowledge this extremely biased response and shall ignore this ‘crisis’ henceforth. Ugh, I have to agree with Nigel.

Being the one who has to respond to these, I finally realise that the CC is truly daft and biased. Even board games don't allow gamemasters to make up scenarios entriely but instead incorporate some kind of a random mechanism to choose from multiple options, which I believe should be done here if this is to continue.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I'm tempted to declare an open season on rioting Paddies who apparently need to be fed with some plastic and rubber in order to calm down… Just to see another biased single-handedly crafted response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Actually, I'm tempted to declare an open season on rioting Paddies who apparently need to be fed with some plastic and rubber in order to calm down… Just to see another biased single-handedly crafted response.
    This is what Northern Ireland needs. On the condition that the plastic bullets can be brought out!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    More cavalry!

I'm sure her Majesty would be fine with some of the household cavalry being redeployed to deal with the issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hands up who else expected this to be the response?

hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    hands up who else expected this to be the response?

hilarious
    Well the original government reply was pretty awful so I expected something like this
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adam9317)

Good to see you recognise that you're a paddy at last

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    At first my opposition to the Crisis Committee was the Crisis Committee did not do anything, had bad ideas for crises, took a long time to respond, and had a disproportional government representation. I would repeat those criticism but I have now decided a new dimension of my opposition to the Crisis Committee is the crises are boring, the crises reflect the opinions of one member, the Crisis Committee does not add an exciting dimension to the MHoC, there Crisis Committee wastes forum space, the Crisis Committee members do not contribute to the crises being written, and the whole thing is a bizarre concept that has been proven to not work.
    Its boring for you perhaps, but violent uprisings in the UK, I know alot of people just dont care about those 6 counties across the Irish Sea but still.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous. I shall discuss this with my colleagues and perhaps provide a more thorough explanation later but at the moment and personally speaking, I do not acknowledge this extremely biased response and shall ignore this ‘crisis’ henceforth. Ugh, I have to agree with Nigel.

Being the one who has to respond to these, I finally realise that the CC is truly daft and biased. Even board games don't allow gamemasters to make up scenarios entriely but instead incorporate some kind of a random mechanism to choose from multiple options, which I believe should be done here if this is to continue.
    You know, the last crisis ended with a successful resolution and a choice of options, yet that too was criticised. The point is to challenge the government to respond. I find the response plausible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very good. I like it.

(Original post by DmcGovern)
    MSG
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    You know, the last crisis ended with a successful resolution and a choice of options, yet that too was criticised. The point is to challenge the government to respond. I find the response plausible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sure it's totally reasonable for the response to negotiations is "will there be negotiations?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I'm sure it's totally reasonable for the response to negotiations is "will there be negotiations?!
    But if Stormont is dissolved, and nationlists presumably have turned away from Sinn Fein. There might not be an obvious negotiator. Hell, it might just be an excuse, they might not like to negotiate (likely)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But if Stormont is dissolved, and nationlists presumably have turned away from Sinn Fein. There might not be an obvious negotiator. Hell, it might just be an excuse, they might not like to negotiate (likely)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So a party not being willing to negotiate means that there are no attempts to start negotiations?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    While the response may be plausible, it's certainly not probable, and if it were, it would only mean that there can be no peaceful solution to this lunacy and we need to exterminate the terrorists because we sure as heck wouldn't negotiate at this point. My main point is that the portion of the CC that is responsible for this (presumably just one person) is heavily biased, as is the whole mechanism of generating crises and developments.

Moreover, it's boring. I don't care one bit about mentally ill people going apeshit about how many days a flag is to be flown and most of my colleagues likely think the same given their lack of response… Hardly anyone outside the UK pays any attention to these issues because they're not worth the time.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Its boring for you perhaps, but violent uprisings in the UK, I know alot of people just dont care about those 6 counties across the Irish Sea but still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That;s because the vast majority of people really don't care...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.