Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Remainers too cocky and what do you think the result will be? watch

• View Poll Results: What will be the likely % vote share of Leave?
    Under 25
    3.85%
    25 - 30
    1.92%
    31 - 35
    3.85%
    36 - 40
    6.41%
    41 - 45
    22.44%
    46 - 50
    30.77%
    51 - 55
    25.00%
    56 - 60
    3.21%
    61 - 65
    0%
    Over 65
    2.56%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    I hope we remain so that I can still travel within Europe easily and cheaply
    Well, it won't be as easy as it is currently. I am sure you have seen the Non-EU queues at airports and how long they take.

The EU isn't going to give the UK a free pass unless they get a free pass. Anyone saying differently is lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Well, it won't be as easy as it is currently.

The EU isn't going to give the UK a free pass unless they get a free pass. Anyone saying differently is lying.
    oh..
    I don't know who I should believe, it's.. like.. nobody actually knows the truth :c

ReputationRep:
    If we don't leave expect UKIP to replace Labour as the opposition if Corbyn is still around come next GE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    oh..
    I don't know who I should believe, it's.. like.. nobody actually knows the truth :c
    Lol.

Well.....then vote stay and then you can continue to travel around Europe freely.

The EU isn't going to give UK citizens a free pass unless they get a free pass for EU citizens. Boris doesn't want to give a free pass for EU citizens.

ReputationRep:
    I think remain will win although it could be by anything from 1% to 20%. If I had to guess I would say England will narrowly vote to remain whereas the rest of the UK wil decisively vote to remain (perhaps because they're used to sharing sovereignty)

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Out wins though. They have a small army of people convinced that the EU has ruined their lives (but can't tell you how)

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

Well.....then vote stay and then you can continue to travel around Europe.

The EU isn't going to give UK citizens a free pass unless they get a free pass for EU citizens.
    Okie dokie
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Lol.

Well.....then vote stay and then you can continue to travel around Europe freely.

The EU isn't going to give UK citizens a free pass unless they get a free pass for EU citizens. Boris doesn't want to give a free pass for EU citizens.
    So you mean if we aren't allowed in that EU queue instead of the fast moving non EU queue it will be near impossible to travel

Not sure whether to rate that more or less mad than WWIII

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So you mean if we aren't allowed in that EU queue instead of the fast moving non EU queue it will be near impossible to travel Mobile[/URL][/SIZE]
    Who said it would be impossible to travel?

Seems like scare mongering from the Brexiters again.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Who said it would be impossible to travel?

Seems like scare mongering from the Brexiters again.
    So where is this greater difficulty coming from? The non EU queue does not make it more difficult, if it were such a hardship nobody would go to the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So where is this greater difficulty coming from? The non EU queue does not make it more difficult, if it were such a hardship nobody would go to the US.
    Well, the Non - EU queue is more difficult for obvious reasons.

They need to check what reason you are there for and etc because you cannot work and you have no right to remain. That is why the queues are longer.

That is just common sense.

IF you think that travelling to the US is the same as travelling to the EU then you are being daft or just don't leave the UK that often.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, the Non - EU queue is more difficult for obvious reasons.

They need to check what reason you are there for and etc because you cannot work and you have no right to remain. That is why the queues are longer.

That is just common sense.

IF you think that travelling to the US is the same as travelling to the EU then you are being daft or just don't leave the UK that often.
    So you're saying that the security to get into the US is more lax than to get into the EU? That it is faster at the border to get into the US than the EU? Have you ever traveled to the US?

Worst case going to the EU will be the same as almost everywhere else in the world: fill in a slip of paper on the way, "why are you here?," Stamp, on you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    If we leave the EU, you make feel great about abstract and false concepts of sovereignty and democracy but the reality is you've just handed the right wing of the Tory party even more power to sh*t all over workers and trade unions.
    Do you seriously, honestly believe that? When, in all their years in politics, have Farage, Johnson, etc expressed a desire to cut on workers' rights as even a minor justification or a circumstantial reason for Brexit? This outlandish nonsense is nothing more than Labor scaremongering. They are globalists who want mass immigraiton at all costs, and the only way they can sell that to white working class people is by making up conspiracies against working rights. "The rich are out to get you" blah blah. which is characteristic of the Marxian worldview of reducing everything to economics and throwing national sovereignty and identity in the mud.

If anything, leaving the EU will increase wages by reducing foreign competition for workers.

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying that the security to get into the US is more lax than to get into the EU? That it is faster at the border to get into the US than the EU? Have you ever traveled to the US?
    I have traveled to both. The EU queue is significantly faster. Furthermore, if I want a job within the EU, that is also just as easy.

Worst case going to the EU will be the same as almost everywhere else in the world: fill in a slip of paper on the way, "why are you here?," Stamp, on you go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AKA more difficult that it is now which is my point.

ReputationRep:
    If we leave, we're ****ed. I hope we make the right decision.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have traveled to both. The EU queue is significantly faster. Furthermore, if I want a job within the EU, that is also just as easy.

AKA more difficult that it is now which is my point.
    Crossing a road is also more difficult than not crossing a road, does this mean that we should abolish roads so we don't have that extra incredible hardship?

How many people do you know that go on holiday in Europe because it is marginally easier crossing the border into the EU than other countries? I imagine the answer is 0, and those that choose to go to EU countries do so for other reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many people do you know th.at go on holi................ns.
    Nothing to do with what I said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plstudent)
    Do you seriously, honestly believe that? When, in all their years in politics, have Farage, Johnson, etc expressed a desire to cut on workers' rights as even a minor justification or a circumstantial reason for Brexit? This outlandish nonsense is nothing more than Labor scaremongering. They are globalists who want mass immigraiton at all costs, and the only way they can sell that to white working class people is by making up conspiracies against working rights. "The rich are out to get you" blah blah. which is characteristic of the Marxian worldview of reducing everything to economics and throwing national sovereignty and identity in the mud.

If anything, leaving the EU will increase wages by reducing foreign competition for workers.

Leavers don't seem that bothered about people losing their jobs after Brexit so why would they not cut workers' rights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Leavers don't seem that bothered about people losing their jobs after Brexit so why would they not cut workers' rights?
    Of course they are bothered but
    1) it is not as risky as remain is making it out to be
    2) one needs to look at the long term effects and not just at what lies in front of you, specially not the "free stuff" and commodities the EU "give" people with their own money
    3) sometimes a certain deal of risk is necessary to accomplish something important

ReputationRep:
    Of course they are bothered but
    1) it is not as risky as remain is making it out to be
    2) one needs to look at the long term effects and not just at what lies in front of you, specially not the "free stuff" and commodities the EU "give" people with their own money
    3) sometimes a certain deal of risk is necessary to accomplish something important
    1) You're right the campaigners are exaggerating in the same way the brexit campaigners exaggerate the costs to the EU.

2) Long effects: Like the various environmental laws that the EU enforces so that we are no longer called the "dirty man of europe" like we were in the 1970's (apparently we were called that?)?

3) You're right sometimes risk is necessary but we only really take that risk when we have a plan on what will happen and what we'll do. When we vote leave how much are we going to compromise with the EU for a free trade deal? are we even going to have one? Will their be free movement of people (alot of brexit supporters don't want free movement yet the EU certainly does even Switzerland and Norway have to accept it)?

ReputationRep:

Increase in zero hour contracts, increase in agency type jobs.

The EU guarantees equal pay, maternity and paternity leave, paid holidays, sick pay, limits the hours which employees can be made to work etc.

The Tories on the other hand have been doing all they can to take on the unions and reduce their influence to protect workers rights.

I find it laughable that you trust Farage and johnson to protect and ensure workers rights.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.