Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 30.10.12)
    that's is not the only reason. It is one of the main reasons though because pretty much every muslim man I know does not treat their wife the way they should . But obviously there are also other reasons behind my opinion but it is the main reason. Likewise I do not believe in some of the beliefs that Muslims have.
    do us a favour and stop confusing other people that ur a muslim and i will say that to drunkard (protence) muslim as well

just be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macsalaama)
    Mr Hanwar above will disagree but do your own research then see how you feel. The general agreed view still forbids women from marrying any non-Muslim man.
    There are several reasons. One being that any child born from such a marriage would (apparently) take after their father (name, religion etc). Obviously in this day and age that's simply not true and usually the opposite seems to be the case since a mother is around her kids more.
    Another funny excuse I've heard is Islamic rulings wouldn't apply to the non-muslim husband so in the event of disputes or divorce it would be difficult (from a religious stand point) so sort out. If you live in a country like the UK that would really not be an issue but hey, the ulema disagree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...riage_in_Islam
    Check the "modern practice" part

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa/7666
    http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2011/...ed-as-muslims/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    no , mother was not a Muslim to begin with so it does not account as otherwise she would have married a Muslim man if she was a muslim
    - for the record father will take his children to his father who is proper religious man as fathers side of the family would the most influence people rather that mothers side of the family so there ur wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZAYN.)
    All these girls saying they would, but from an Islamic perspective they're not allowed to. Only muslim men are allowed to marry people of the book (ie. Christians or Jews). Muslim women are supposed to marry Muslim men.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not hating just stating! Ooooh it rhymed, lyrical genius right here
    Correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Correct
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macsalaama)
    Islam differentiates between the People of the Book and other non-believers. Considering the Quran explicitly allowed men to marry Christians and Jews and forbade other non-Muslims (polytheists in particular) why is the same not considered for women ?
    A lot of verses address just men but it's common knowledge they address both genders. Why is it suddenly different when it comes to verses regarding marriage? Where does the Quran say "Muslim women cannot marrying from the People of the Book "?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    do u live under the carpet or something Christians and jew have changed over time which means there are no longer muslims so we can not marry them as prophet ibrahim was a muslim so if they worshipped one allah and followed the original message that would have made them muslim this age but as they have changed we no longer can marry them so that verse was for that age and time so men can not marry them any more so u understand

ReputationRep:
    I'm already married but I would

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Another question that could be asked in this context is whether a non-muslim would marry/ date a (female) muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Let's put this in perspective: What are the chances that a non-muslim would want to date/marry a muslim? I have a friend who wears the hijab and she has noticed that very often male non-muslims avoid getting in contact with her or show any interest in her whatsoever. I find this quite interesting so I would like to ask: What are the guy's stance on muslim girls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunnyyy)
    Let's put this in perspective: What are the chances that a non-muslim would want to date/marry a muslim? I have a friend who wears the hijab and she has noticed that very often male non-muslims avoid getting in contact with her or show any interest in her whatsoever. I find this quite interesting so I would like to ask: What are the guy's stance on muslim girls?
    Some hijabis and girls from Muslim cultures are hot. As a Sikh, while I find plenty of those girls attractive and tend to get on with them, it's just not worth the probable hassle from her and my family, as well as the inevitable conflicts regarding the upbringing of our kids.

The exception would be if both families were okay with it and if the girl wasn't actually religious.

No never

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akeel1001)
    do u live under the carpet or something
    Such behaviour is uncalled for.

Christians and jew have changed over time which means there are no longer muslims so we can not marry them as prophet ibrahim was a muslim so if they worshipped one allah and followed the original message that would have made them muslim this age but as they have changed we no longer can marry them so that verse was for that age and time so men can not marry them any more so u understand
    They were never identical to Muslims to begin with.

The Jews say, "Ezra is the son of Allah "; and the Christians say, "The Messiah is the son of Allah ." That is their statement from their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved [before them]. May Allah destroy them; how are they deluded? [9:30]

The above ayat explicitly states that Christians and Jews had deviated but still Allah provided us with this:

“As to marriage, you are allowed to marry the chaste from among the believing women and the chaste from among those who have been given the Book before you (are lawful for you); provided that you have given them their dowries, and live with them in honor, not in fornication, nor taking them as secret concubines.” [5:5]

So the excuse that 'real' Christians and Jews do not exist anymore is unfounded seeing as the Quran itself states this but still permits interfaith marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akeel1001)
    do u live under the carpet or something Christians and jew have changed over time which means there are no longer muslims so we can not marry them as prophet ibrahim was a muslim so if they worshipped one allah and followed the original message that would have made them muslim this age but as they have changed we no longer can marry them so that verse was for that age and time so men can not marry them any more so u understand
    The fact that the Quran acknowledges Christians and Jews deviated a long time ago is mentioned above already.

"O People of the Scripture, do not commit excess in your religion or say about Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, was but a messenger of Allah and His word which He directed to Mary and a soul [created at a command] from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. And do not say, "Three"; desist - it is better for you. Indeed, Allah is but one God. Exalted is He above having a son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. And sufficient is Allah as Disposer of affairs." (Quran 4:171)
    Verse above talks about the Trinity

The Quran allows Muslims to eat meat slaughtered by the People of the Book and interfaith marriage despite mentioning their wrongdoings. The excuse "there aren't real Christians and Jews" is flawed and makes little sense to be honest since there weren't "real" Christians or Jews during Muhammad's time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZAYN.)
    All these girls saying they would, but from an Islamic perspective they're not allowed to. muslim men are allowed to marry people of the book (ie. Christians or Jews). Muslim women are supposed to marry Muslim men.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not hating just stating! Ooooh it rhymed, lyrical genius right here
    I'm sorry but is this then not so sexist?! Do you actually agree with that. There is no logical reasoning behind this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Your parents don't have to choose your husband.
    didn't say they're going to choose him?? I just said they wouldn't be comfortable with it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but is this then not so sexist?! Do you actually agree with that. There is no logical reasoning behind this
    “And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al‑Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allaah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikoon) invite you to the Fire, but Allaah invites (you) to Paradise and forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember”[al-Baqarah 2:221]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGurl)
    didn't say they're going to choose him?? I just said they wouldn't be comfortable with it.
    You said it would never happen as a result. Therefore, your parents play a large role in your husband choice. It should be your choice only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You said it would never happen as a result. Therefore, your parents play a large role in your husband choice. It should be your choice only.
    yeah they play a role in my husband choice, its the way i've been brought up, my culture. and anyway, i rly don't think i need to defend myself for how i choose to live my life.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I

hi there, I strongly disagree with your opinion. I am a muslim woman and would much rather marry a non muslim because quite frankly I have seen the way SOME muslim men treat thei wives and I think it is disgusting. that's my opinion anyways
    Great generalization.... Just because some doesnt mean all do, many non mulsims treat wives poorly it isnt a religious thing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.