Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by APersonYo)
    I also like to point out my friend who got 3A*s and 8A*s at GCSE e.t.c, she did volunteer work in the hospital in the Philippines, she also did the same in lourdes. She did lots of work experience in the hospital and she does a lot for charity. Oh yeah, she helps out at the local school for children with disabilities for three years running.

And the other guy... welll... lets say he hasnt done anything comparable to that. I mean sure he has done work experience in the hospital, has a job as a life-guard and plays rugby in his spare time, but hey ho.
    Your friend seems like they have a lot of great work experience, but it's not really about where you've been and how much you've done (as long as you commit to something related to medicine and reflect) . Everyone says this but its true! How you put yourself forward at interview and how you reflect on your experience matters much more. Also, I didn't get to do amazing experiences like that, mainly because I couldnt get the opportunity to afford/get access to do these experiences (as many students can't) - and I think medical schools understand that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louiseelg0rt)
    Your friend seems like they have a lot of great work experience, but it's not really about where you've been and how much you've done (as long as you commit to something related to medicine and reflect) . Everyone says this but its true! How you put yourself forward at interview and how you reflect on your experience matters much more. Also, I didn't get to do amazing experiences like that, mainly because I couldnt get the opportunity to afford/get access to do these experiences (as many students can't) - and I think medical schools understand that.
    Yeah that's true, but the cat guy user was just talking about how this guy may have done loads of amazing work experience so we can't judge him but he hasn't. I never actually said it mattered ? I don't really care personally, just super annoyed for my friend because I understand exactly why she didn't do well in the interview and the other guy who got lower grades did and personally I think those reasons are slightly unfair but hey ho, I guess that's life?
    It also bothers me too because I wanted to be a doctor and I can't because of low grades and this guy is going to be a doctor and he got the exact same grades as me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah that's true, but the cat guy user was just talking about how this guy may have done loads of amazing work experience so we can't judge him but he hasn't. I never actually said it mattered ? I don't really care personally, just super annoyed for my friend because I understand exactly why she didn't do well in the interview and the other guy who got lower grades did and personally I think those reasons are slightly unfair but hey ho, I guess that's life?
    It also bothers me too because I wanted to be a doctor and I can't because of low grades and this guy is going to be a doctor and he got the exact same grades as me.
    I made those comments to another poster who was making comparisons between two candidates. My point was more its not your place to judge who deserves a place or not. Its down to the medical school to accept who they want.

You can't take your frustrations of having 'low' grades out on someone else just because you feel you can't apply to medicine. Like you said, he comes from an educationally disadvantaged background and a lot of medical schools take this in to context. I am sorry you feel you can't apply, but there are many routes in to medicine, even for those with 'low' grades.

And as for your other friend, she got 3 interviews and no offers. That suggests her problem lies with the interview process. If she works on her interview skills (and works out where she went wrong this time) she should stand a good shot reapplying.

Oh and I'm a girl, not a guy.

ReputationRep:
    But medicine isn't all about grades. That's what you're forgetting. So much more goes into it. Interviews are definitely more important. Just because she's smart doesn't mean she'll do really well in interviews.
    And just because someone got in with the same grades as you doesn't immediately mean you would've as well. I'm not trying to sound mean I'm just trying to show that a lot goes into it. Not just grades.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day there's nothing you can personally do about it. Just be happy for the guy who got the place, even if you know this person, you probably won't know how much hardwork this person may have put into their application.

As for the girl who didn't get it, from what you've said, it's probably her interview that let her down. It's extremely hard to get into Medicine- I should know! So she shouldn't let this drag her down. If she see's where she went wrong this year, then she could always use this information to improve for next year.

Yeah, sure one person may have better grades and whatnot but grades aren't the only thing they look at. With Medicine they have to be really picky as you are essentially applying for the job as opposed to the course, the guy may just have had that little something which struck him out as a better candidate.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so this one guy got 6As, 1A* and 3Bs at GCSE and he got ABB at AS level. ( I dont know what he is predicted for A level probably AAB?)
    I have a friend who got 8A*s at GCSE and AAAA at AS level and has been predicted 3 A*s and an A for A level.
    They both applied to do medicine at bristol and they both got interviews;however my overly qualified friend has been rejected whereas the other guy who has got lower grades has been rejected?
    How is this acceptable?
    I mean I know my friend is the quiet, studious type and he is the banterous sporty type but that doesnt mean she will be a worse doctor than him?? I just dont quite get it and find it very unfair.
    I had 8A*s and 3 As at GCSE, AAAAA at As level and predicted A*A*A*A* at A2 but didn't even get an interview...
    Medicine is like that, it's so oversubscribed that some applications seem to just get shunted out of the pile.
    Got my offer from Oxford though so I'm happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Dog)
    I had 8A*s and 3 As at GCSE, AAAAA at As level and predicted A*A*A*A* at A2 but didn't even get an interview...
    Medicine is like that, it's so oversubscribed that some applications seem to just get shunted out of the pile.
    Got my offer from Oxford though so I'm happy
    Congratulations, you deserve it

ReputationRep:
    I like you, you seem like an understanding person
    Thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.