Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Staying in the EU is like a woman staying with an abusive husband Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    So now you are even contradicting yourself from just a couple posts back.
    no I'm not - hence why you give no substance.

Wow.
    again, you can't logically argue, so you have nothing to write.

Anything to "win", huh?
    I never said "win"...?

Well I won't waste my time talking to an airhead.
    "I won't attempt to argue with you, lest I appear ridiculous again, so I'll drop out now"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    wow, your threshold of "abuse" is insanely high then. you're very tolerant of being repressed
    Er, ok...? I don't see what relevance this has.

You're trying to make an emotional argument against the EU by comparing it to an abusive husband. When people talk about abusive husbands they are usually referring to men who are physically violent, not men who ignore their wives. The EU isn't physically violent to us, so your analogy falls flat.

The reasons to stay in the EU (of the one's you've listed) sound similar to that of wanting to stay with an abusive husband, but staying in the EU is not like staying with an abusive husband.

not UNCONTROLLED immigration though. that's not meritocratic immigration. the EU fills us with unskilled workers, not necessary and specific workers for particular industries that require more people (e.g. the NHS).
    Why should this matter? So long as people are working (which they are, and more so than Britons) it doesn't matter if they're skilled or not. They're being productive, which is good for the economy.

MEPs have no power to propose, amend or repeal legislation.
    commissioners are unelected. the president of the commission is ceremonially elected by the EU parliament, just like everything else they ceremonially vote for. MEPs aren't elected on a platform to vote for this or that president, so it's not democratic in that respect.

and these institutions are hardly representative because we don't vote for politicians based on the EU's operations! we don't even vote for MEPs on this basis because they have no specific agendas for the EU level really.
    They cannot propose legislation, which I think they should, but they have the power to reject legislation and to appoint/dispose of the Commission. It isn't ceremonial, if the Parliament doesn't like the Commission they can get rid of it. They've done this before.

Your last parts (one taken from a later post) don't make any sense. If your MEPs aren't running on a platform about EU operations then it's the fault of your MEPs. In other countries European elections look at European politics, in the UK we look at UK politics. This is a failure of our own elections, not the EU.

I've already given you some, haven't I? but if I had to continue I'd talk about things like spanish fishermen being able to fish in our waters more than us, the fat that we have to subsidise failing french farms, the fact that there are ludicrous laws like the shapes of fruits, unnecessary labelling laws that increase costs to small businesses, unnecessary car laws (i.e. cars now must have headlights on as long as the engine is on), "super vacuum cleaners" are banned (just an example), bankers' bonuses (that's none of the EU's business whether you like it or not), etc
    Can you provide further detail (like links) to the stuff in bold?

so what then?
    Er, you tell me? I don't see it as a problem that we're a net contributor.

ReputationRep:
    not really. how're they ridiculous then?
    Because you completely ignore the threat of violence and death that comes with being in an abusive relationship. I will agree that the campaign for staying in the EU has been pretty negative, but you're list of comparisons could be applied to almost anything. For example my nan gives me money, or I could travel on the bus, but neither of these two abuse me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchampjchamp)
    Because you completely ignore the threat of violence and death that comes with being in an abusive relationship. I will agree that the campaign for staying in the EU has been pretty negative, but you're list of comparisons could be applied to almost anything. For example my nan gives me money, or I could travel on the bus, but neither of these two abuse me.
    "abuse" is a very relative term and you've obviously tried to take that word and place a very particular meaning on it. you're implying that "abuse" MUST equate with violence, right? where do you get that meaning from? "abuse" simply means to misuse - e.g. "substance abuse" =/= treating substances with violence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.