ReputationRep:
    Watch a documentary and eat some curry.

ReputationRep:
    Hang out with more traditional pakistani's
    Go to pakistani community centres
    Move to Birmingham OR Bradford
    Spoiler:
    Show
    supposedly you didn't live in those areas already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnoriginalBen;65568857[u)
    ]Watch a documentary [/u]and eat some curry.
    How is that suppose to help? Do you really believe a geographic documentary on The Beauty of pakistan will help OP get in touch with his pakistani side! I highly doubt that!

ReputationRep:
    It's worse if you're a non-religious Pakistani.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    Hang out with more traditional pakistani's
    Go to pakistani community centres
    Move to Birmingham OR Bradford
    Spoiler:
    Show
    supposedly you didn't live in those areas already!
    My mum used to volunteer at a community centre (she's Pakistani) and I'd often go along with her. It was difficult for me to 'fit in' as all the other children were..well..brown. They'd see me as fully white.

It's hard to ingrate when people define themselves almost entirely by their religion as well, with me being a strong atheist.

ReputationRep:
    Is your Dad White-English? And Muslim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    How is that suppose to help? Do you really believe a geographic documentary on The Beauty of pakistan will help OP get in touch with his pakistani side! I highly doubt that!
    Documentaries are pretty good and I didn't say "geographic", silly.

ReputationRep:
    Wear Shalwar Kameez bruh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gaben)
    Is your Dad White-English? And Muslim?
    My dad is white english and is not muslim. My mother is fully Pakistani and not muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    My dad is white english and is not muslim. My mother is fully Pakistani and not muslim.
    Same here, except my Dad's crazily religious.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm half Pakistani right, but I feel totally disconnected from the culture. I'm pretty western.

I eat some pakistani food, but that's about it.

Any ideas?

If you want to know how I did it:

I learnt to speak Urdu (I can almost fluently speak it but not so great at reading it)

Watch all the Pakistani dramas (which I def recommend cuz they are so intense and a great insight into different aspects of Pakistani culture - watch Humsafar cuz that was suuuper famous and that couple is my OTP)

Listen to Pakistani music and try bollywood, bhangra and kathak dancing - even though they're mostly Indian styles, everyone loves the person at the wedding who actually knows how to dance!

But honestly do try and go to Pakistan

I only went for the first time last March.

Everyone I met was so amazing and inspiring that I fell in love with the country.

Every child I taught english to was so intelligent (seriously they learnt more english in one week than I learnt Spanish in those two gcse years!)

and every preson was so selfless. the government is so useless over there that the people have had to learn to look after themselves.

I volunteered at a hospital where most patients would have been carried there by complete strangers

I met a very rich and upper class family who paid for their cook and maids' kids to go to the most expensive private school in Lahore

The whole women being oppressed thing is only true in the lower classes who are very uneducated but is very rare in middle to upper class families. Women are highly respected and I swear the husbands are more afraid of their wife hitting them rather than the other way around!

Its a fab country and a very inspiring culture. If you explore it with an open mind and really get into it then you will never want to Pakistan. I didnt!

ReputationRep:
    I'm half English

Do they have decent Graduate Schemes?

Need money to make money.
    Although the Al Qaeda comment was slightly racist, my corner shop one was not. It was not inciting racial hatred in anyway even if it wasn't interpreted as mere facetiousness. Don't report me for stupid things like this, please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarpedon)
    Although the Al Qaeda comment was slightly racist, my corner shop one was not. It was not inciting racial hatred in anyway even if it wasn't interpreted as mere facetiousness. Don't report me for stupid things like this, please.
    I didn't report you darling.

But...care to expand on your comment? Why would setting up a corner shop help me get in touch with my Pakistani side?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't report you darling.

But...care to expand on your comment? Why would setting up a corner shop help me get in touch with my Pakistani side?
    It's what Pakistanis do; it would help you get a feel for typical Pakistani-British culture and embrace the social norms of this group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarpedon)
    It's what Pakistanis do; it would help you get a feel for typical Pakistani-British culture and embrace the social norms of this group.
    :lol:

don't take the piss.

ReputationRep:
    :lol:

don't take the piss.
    what's ur other half g ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Arab Guy)
    what's ur other half g ?
    Half english

ReputationRep:
    I think most people if they went would find it vastly more civilised than say Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    My pakistani family all live in Australia/Doha.

And my mother has no desire to travel to Pakistan

I've heard it's a beautiful country. I'd love to see the Himalayas
    I'm living in Doha
    Do you speak Urdu?
    Which part of Pakistan is you family from?

ReputationRep:
    Do they have decent Graduate Schemes?
    I believe they do - try the dark web.
    If not, I hear ISIS are recruiting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.