Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Do you ever just shut up?
    Can I ask how you post the Leave or Remain thumbs up sign on your profile? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Can I ask how you post the Leave or Remain thumbs up sign on your profile? Thanks.
    Download a leave / remains thumbs up or make one up yourself.

Go under your name in the corner at the top of the screen.
    Go under "Customise my TSR".
    Click "Change my avatar".
    Then import the picture and save.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Download a leave / remains thumbs up or make one up yourself.

Go under your name in the corner at the top of the screen.
    Go under "Customise my TSR".
    Click "Change my avatar".
    Then import the picture and save.
    Cheers for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    Obama will be in office when we vote.

Here is the video in which Obama says there won't be a deal.

https://youtu.be/2LWDSdU-gV8?t=10m31s

(12:09)

I don't know where the Leave campaign gets its facts. This is the problem with people like Boris Johnson and others who want to leave.

All talk. No substance
    And we leave in two years after the vote. By then, Obama will have been long gone. Do you think we just instantly secede?

ReputationRep:
    Can I say that I just Googled what the population of the UK was. It is 65 million. Now i'm an old fart of 48. I distinctly remember when I was a child us being taught in primary school that the population of the UK was 33 million. It seemed to stay at this figure for quite a few years too. The UK compared to many countries is not particularly large. With both an ageing population AND immigration ,who knows what the population of the country will be in 100 years time? We won't be here but our grandchildren will be. What kind of a country are we going to leave them if things continue at the pace they are now? We HAVE to control immigration numbers. From both inside and outside the EU. Australia doesn't allow just anybody to rock up and be allowed permanent residency. Do people call the Australians racist or narrow minded little Ozzies? No. They're just sensible; protecting THEIR national interests. It's time this country did the same.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    This is the most illogical post I have ever read in my whole time on TSR. While the page was loading, I guessed who it was. Jordan_L you owe me a response on the other thread. Please stop, you are becoming quite annoying and obsessive now no matter how many times people have proved you wrong.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I'm really confused about the EU referendum. Not sure which side to take.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    • Wolfgang Schäuble, Germany’s finance minister, has ruled out Britain joining the single market if the country votes to leave the European Union, declaring that “out is out” for the UK.
    We buy more from the EU than we sell. They need us more than we need them, if we leave it doesn't mean they will stop trading with us. We buy cars of Germany (Mercedes, BMW... etc), that's their biggest market and we are their biggest customers. They cannot afford to lose their biggest customer, therefore, they will continue trading with us. Please rid of this fundamentally wrong concept, that we won't be able to trade with Europe anymore, it's stupid and it's just typical scaremongering from the Remain campaign.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Obama will be in office when we vote.

Here is the video in which Obama says there won't be a deal.

https://youtu.be/2LWDSdU-gV8?t=10m31s

(12:09)

I don't know where the Leave campaign gets its facts. This is the problem with people like Boris Johnson and others who want to leave.

All talk. No substance
    He'll be in office when we vote to leave, he will have been out of office for at the very least just shy of 18 months when we do leave.

ReputationRep:
    Well you're wrong. When the president of the country we want to trade with says forget the idea of getting a trade agreement any time soon, you take it from the horse's mouth. Why would I trust what Boris Johnson says the USA will do more than what Barack Obama says the USA will do?!

Come on people!
    Barack Obama loathes Britain. He wrote an entire book on anti-colonialism (dreams of my father) and one of the first things he did was send back a Winston Churchill bust. I would take anything he says with a grain of salt because he doesn't have your best interests at heart

He is also a lame-duck president who only has a few months left of his term. His opinion is completely irrelevant. I'm really surprised that his opinion (on something that is none of his business) carries so much weight on your side of the pond.

This is a man who has no clue how the economy works. He once said unemployment was caused by the kiosks at airports that print your boarding passes...and ATMs. He's a complete idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Barack Obama loathes Britain. He wrote an entire book on anti-colonialism (dreams of my father) and one of the first things he did was send back a Winston Churchill bust. I would take anything he says with a grain of salt because he doesn't have your best interests at heart

He is also a lame-duck president who only has a few months left of his term. His opinion is completely irrelevant. I'm really surprised that his opinion (on something that is none of his business) carries so much weight on your side of the pond.

This is a man who has no clue how the economy works. He once said unemployment was caused by the kiosks at airports that print your boarding passes...and ATMs. He's a complete idiot
    Barack Obama is a Harvard educated, former university professor, highly experienced president. He adores Winston Churchill. And LOL I don't care about Obama. I care about the UK, and I believe it is in our best interest to stay in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to the NHS.

Staying in won't help either as more of a population increase is not going to help and will consequently add more strain much faster (The EU been practically a catalyst to the problem) .

Leaving is more beneficial as we can catch up far better than if we were in the EU with less population growth when out the EU (Less growth allows better catch up).

So there we go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    The NHS (and other public services like schools) is struggling severely right now. People seem to think that this is because of overpopulation putting too much strain on it, and that leaving the EU and reducing immigration would help that, but it's just not the case.

OUR GOVERNMENT are deliberately under-funding the NHS. That's the only reason it's struggling. They've cut the deficit in half (in spite of giving tens of billions in tax breaks to the rich), so we have more than enough money to fund the NHS adequately for our growing population. EU immigrants bring far, far more money into the country than they take out, especially since they fill skilled jobs that we don't have the graduates to fill. They pay for themselves.

We have enough money to fund the NHS. It isn't a set size. The NHS could grow with our population, and that's what should happen as these immigrants bring more money into the country. Our government is choosing not to spend that money on the NHS. It's their decision not to provide the funding for our services to grow.

Why does anyone think leaving the EU will change this? The government is sabotaging the NHS. They're providing the bare minimum funding possible to just keep it running, to prevent public outcry. If the strain on the NHS is reduced, then they'll just reduce the money going into it. It's as simple as that.

The government are deliberately letting the NHS struggle, so that they can save money and so they have an excuse for privatising. If we reduce the size of our population, they'll reduce the money they give to the NHS so that it continues to struggle.

This exact same principle applies to other public services, housing, and infrastructure. Immigrants pay for themselves. Our government is specifically choosing not to build enough houses or schools.

Stop burying your heads in the sand. Leaving the EU won't make this problem go away, because the problem is OUR GOVERNMENT, not the EU.
    Lets take it one at a time

Your title says
    A Brexit WILL NOT help the NHSFirstly as a a bit of a disclaimer i have never voted Conservative, I despise them and i never will. Just consider me a centerite who dislikes mass immigration. I have voted twice and went Labour both times for economic reasons (IE I'm from a poor familt)

Claiming a brexit will not help the NHS is a fallacy, you may ask why because the government funds utensils like the NHS, it is well documented the conservatives do not like the NHS- so they try and spend as little as possible on it, I agree that is part of the reason the NHS is going down the pan. In terms of the immigration argument, you can argue with 300,000 immigrants per anum coming to the UK it is putting a huge strain on our public services, with around half of our immigration coming from the EU brexiting would help the NHS providing the immigration from asia and Africa remains stagnant. For arguments sake lets say the NHS is funded by £100bn (not real figure) and there is 65,000,000 people in the UK that is £1538 per person, then the next year the budget stays exactly the same but net migration is 300,000 the budget per capita would reduce to £1531. So to sumarise the higher immigration is per year the lower the NHS budget becomes per head.

The second thing i will challenge you about is your comment about the NHS growing with the population. Whilst we are in the EU we have unrestricted immigration, 508 million people have the unconditional right to come to Britain migration from the EU can vary from year to year so my question to you is if we are going to grow the NHS with the population how can we anticipate how much the population is going to grow by? 1 year EU immigration could be 100,000 the next it could be a million we can not control it and we don't know how many immigrants have came here until a population census is done and to go with this we can't stop europeans coming to Britain

With your comment about building more houses, whilst we are part of the EU we will not know one year to the next what the immigration figures will be, we just can not anticipate the extra demand for housing like i said immigration can be different each year, it could be 100,000 one year a million the next. The question i have for you is how can we know how many houses to build whilst having an open door immigration policy, if you build to little prices will go through the roof, if you build to many the supply will be too great meaning current homeowners will see the value of their houses drop?

I look forward to your response which addresses how we will anticipate EU Immigration when budgeting for the NHS and building houses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    one of the first things he did was send back a Winston Churchill bust.
    Not quite...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012...ston-churchill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NerradCFCB)
    Lets take it one at a time

Your title says
    A Brexit WILL NOT help the NHSFirstly as a a bit of a disclaimer i have never voted Conservative, I despise them and i never will. Just consider me a centerite who dislikes mass immigration. I have voted twice and went Labour both times for economic reasons (IE I'm from a poor familt)

Claiming a brexit will not help the NHS is a fallacy, you may ask why because the government funds utensils like the NHS, it is well documented the conservatives do not like the NHS- so they try and spend as little as possible on it, I agree that is part of the reason the NHS is going down the pan. In terms of the immigration argument, you can argue with 300,000 immigrants per anum coming to the UK it is putting a huge strain on our public services, with around half of our immigration coming from the EU brexiting would help the NHS providing the immigration from asia and Africa remains stagnant. For arguments sake lets say the NHS is funded by £100bn (not real figure) and there is 65,000,000 people in the UK that is £1538 per person, then the next year the budget stays exactly the same but net migration is 300,000 the budget per capita would reduce to £1531. So to sumarise the higher immigration is per year the lower the NHS budget becomes per head.

The second thing i will challenge you about is your comment about the NHS growing with the population. Whilst we are in the EU we have unrestricted immigration, 508 million people have the unconditional right to come to Britain migration from the EU can vary from year to year so my question to you is if we are going to grow the NHS with the population how can we anticipate how much the population is going to grow by? 1 year EU immigration could be 100,000 the next it could be a million we can not control it and we don't know how many immigrants have came here until a population census is done and to go with this we can't stop europeans coming to Britain

With your comment about building more houses, whilst we are part of the EU we will not know one year to the next what the immigration figures will be, we just can not anticipate the extra demand for housing like i said immigration can be different each year, it could be 100,000 one year a million the next. The question i have for you is how can we know how many houses to build whilst having an open door immigration policy, if you build to little prices will go through the roof, if you build to many the supply will be too great meaning current homeowners will see the value of their houses drop?

I look forward to your response which addresses how we will anticipate EU Immigration when budgeting for the NHS and building houses.
    We have a reciprocal payment agreement with EU members on healthcare so NHS is reimbursed by the governments of EU patients. Also, non-EU citizens cannot use the NHS for free: they have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AYellowBelly)
    We have a reciprocal payment agreement with EU members on healthcare so NHS is reimbursed by the governments of EU patients. Also, non-EU citizens cannot use the NHS for free: they have to pay.
    Does that help the short term cash-flow? Of course it doesn't the NHS will probably not see any of the rebated money. It is still not the point though, once they are working in England or become a British Citizen its our liabillity but the money we send to the EU/EEA countries is more than 5x what we recieve to treat Europeans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AYellowBelly)
    He's obviously on about EU migrants, not just EU citizens visiting the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    He's obviously on about EU migrants, not just EU citizens visiting the country.
    :borat:

Exactly Right
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I like how Jordan_L still hasn't responded to my post in the previous thread and people in this thread. Isn't that enough to justify how stupid the Remain campaign is, and that a person support Remain can't even reply to posts?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.