Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most poshest nicest parts of the U.K. To live list Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Typical new money brigade, I mean if your parents or grandparents were on the breadline, you should be humble and appreciative of where you came from.
    Its like the rich kids of instagram, I mean cool if you're rich but your money can only go so far.
    yeahh. It doesn't mean they have the best personality or anything either...

Don't know if it's already been said but Chiswick is quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    For the love of all that is holy OP, please fix your full stop key.

ReputationRep:
    SANDBANKS IN POOLE, DORSET, 2ND MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE IN THE UK PER SQ METRE
    I SAY THIS BC IM FROM POOLE AND IM PROUD OKAY

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I grew up on a council estate in Stretford, Manchester. But that was the 1970's and from what I have learned its now a really nice place to live. Then when I was 16 I went to Ballet School in London. I lived in a student hostel on Frognal, Hampstead. Sting lived over the road from us at number 108 Frognal. We used to all lean out of the window and wave at him !! Michael Williams and his wife Judy Dench lived just around the corner from us, as did lots of other actors. Lovely,lovely place. Our rent was only £40 a week, and the hostel was a house that used to be owned by Charles De Gaulle. You should have seen the garden. The whole area was just utterly lovely. The worst place I ever lived was the Langworthy Estate in Salford,Manchester. But then Home Secretary Jack Straw pumped millions into the area after I left and I hear its quite pleasant now. I moved to Northern Ireland with my two year old son for a better quality of life in 1999, and boy do we have it. We live in a small village,with a few shops and where everyone knows everyone else,and people are lovely and friendly. We have the mountains on our doorstep with spectacular views, and the standard of the education children get in schools here compared to England is second to none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Well I grew up on a council estate in Stretford, Manchester. But that was the 1970's and from what I have learned its now a really nice place to live. Then when I was 16 I went to Ballet School in London. I lived in a student hostel on Frognal, Hampstead. Sting lived over the road from us at number 108 Frognal. We used to all lean out of the window and wave at him !! Michael Williams and his wife Judy Dench lived just around the corner from us, as did lots of other actors. Lovely,lovely place. Our rent was only £40 a week, and the hostel was a house that used to be owned by Charles De Gaulle. You should have seen the garden. The whole area was just utterly lovely. The worst place I ever lived was the Langworthy Estate in Salford,Manchester. But then Home Secretary Jack Straw pumped millions into the area after I left and I hear its quite pleasant now. I moved to Northern Ireland with my two year old son for a better quality of life in 1999, and boy do we have it. We live in a small village,with a few shops and where everyone knows everyone else,and people are lovely and friendly. We have the mountains on our doorstep with spectacular views, and the standard of the education children get in schools here compared to England is second to none.
    Sounds nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    Sounds nice.
    It really is. There's no way I would have moved here with my two year old if the IRA/Loyalist ceasefires of 1994 were not firmly taken hold though. But people don't want to go back to all that crap. You hear sometimes of trouble mainly in Belfast. Someone getting kneecapped for selling drugs or whatever. But to be honest that sort of thing is probably more prevalent in Manchester,Birmingham and London nowadays than it is over here. Plus communities on both sides have received tens of millions of pounds of investment . Special funding called PEACE I , PEACE ll etc. which is funding from the EU for areas where there was war or conflict has seen a brand new bus station, a brand new train station, a new shopping centre, and a whole lot of other,smaller grants given out over the years. People tell me there used to be soldiers everywhere,stopping people ,checking their ID. There used to be a nine o'clock curfew,where if you were not inside your house by nine o'clock each night you risked being shot by the army. Multiculturalism hasn't really taken off here yet,so there are no racial tensions. People from other ethnic backgrounds started moving here for the first time around 15 years ago,but they are few and far between. Mainly Chinese. Very few Muslims. I think I saw two Muslim looking men a few weeks ago in town for the first time. #PLEASE NOTE. I'M NOT SAYING THAT THE LACK OF ETHNIC DIVERSITY IS THE REASON IT IS NICE HERE. THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M SAYING.# But what I AM saying however, is that because there are very very few ethnic minorities here, you get no community tension or intolerance like you might get in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epoddoulc)
    Brixton, Peckham, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Toxteth, Moss Side, Handsworth, Highgate, Gipton, Harehills
    Moss Side and Harehills and also Chapeltown (Leeds) are all reputation. They aren't that bad. Pretty friendly. All from what i've heard and seen have calmed down a lot lately.

The way people speak about these you'd think the minute they go past the welcome sign they'll get shanked up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    Moss Side and Harehills and also Chapeltown (Leeds) are all reputation. They aren't that bad. Pretty friendly. All from what i've heard and seen have calmed down a lot lately.

The way people speak about these you'd think the minute they go past the welcome sign they'll get shanked up.
    Harehills has the highest crime in Leeds but I agree Moss side has calm down after the Gooch gang was jailed. Dunno about chapeltown

ReputationRep:
    bullet points next time please....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.