LSE 2017 Applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    I'm applying for Economics

I have 10A*s at GCSE and AAA at AS, maths module scores of 100, 90, 92, 96 in C1 C2 C3 and M1 respectively

Predicted A*A*A* + A in AS Further Maths

Do I have a good chance of getting an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    -_- really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    -_- really?
    I'm only saying this because when I told my teacher I was applying to LSE he seemed like it was an impossible feat and I basically have no chance?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm only saying this because when I told my teacher I was applying to LSE he seemed like it was an impossible feat and I basically have no chance?!
    You have a pretty good chance provided your P.S. is up to scratch. If you're thinking of applying to a London uni, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lanthum)
    Anyone knows how long it takes to get an answer on your UCAS application?
    For LSE, they give them until Easter Holidays. It will be a very long wait, so honestly just wait and dont stress too much (it will be very hard).
    They will send emails of something along the lines:
    2 week email
    8 week email
    4 week email
    something along these lines...
    (Each email said that they will update you in that amount of time, but it doesnt mean you will get a decision by the end of the first 2 weeks)

The wait will be shorter for those who apply late, since LSE aims to give out all offers until an internal deadline they set.
    Also, its not a fact, but usually some days they send out the rejections and some days offers.

Note: many early applicants got an offer or rejection on the last week before their internal deadline, thats why I said the wait will be shorter for people who apply later, since they will be applying closer to the deadline anyways.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently taking a 2ND GAP YEAR and my current grades are A*BB in Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I am retaking Economics and Chemistry and I'm predicted A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and Chemistry. I am planning to apply for the LSE Management course (AAA) and I have 9 As and 2Bs at GCSE. What are my chances of getting in ? I am trying to produce the best personal statement I can as I really want to get onto the course. When I first got my A-level results (August 2015) I got BCC in Econ, Maths and Chem respectively and this year (August 2016) I got A*BB as mentioned above. Now that I'm taking a 2ND GAP YEAR, I am doing work placements at KPMG and PwC to enhance my application plus a part time job. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR THIS COURSE ? PLEASE can someone advise me and what are best things to include in my personal statement for LSE Management ???

My other four choices are;

UCL - Management Science
    UCL - Statistics and Management for Business
    UCL - Statistics, Economics ans Finance
    KCL - Economics and Management

but LSE Management is my top choice. Please can I have some advice, thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    For LSE, they give them until Easter Holidays. It will be a very long wait, so honestly just wait and dont stress too much (it will be very hard).
    They will send emails of something along the lines:
    2 week email
    8 week email
    4 week email
    something along these lines...
    (Each email said that they will update you in that amount of time, but it doesnt mean you will get a decision by the end of the first 2 weeks)

The wait will be shorter for those who apply late, since LSE aims to give out all offers until an internal deadline they set.
    Also, its not a fact, but usually some days they send out the rejections and some days offers.

Note: many early applicants got an offer or rejection on the last week before their internal deadline, thats why I said the wait will be shorter for people who apply later, since they will be applying closer to the deadline anyways.

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, but the reason I asked is because I've seen that the policy for applications is different from uni to uni. Do you know if LSE is giving immediate offers or waiting until the JAN UCAS deadline to read them all?

(Original post by Danllo)
    I'm currently taking a 2ND GAP YEAR and my current grades are A*BB in Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I am retaking Economics and Chemistry and I'm predicted A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and Chemistry. I am planning to apply for the LSE Management course (AAA) and I have 9 As and 2Bs at GCSE. What are my chances of getting in ? I am trying to produce the best personal statement I can as I really want to get onto the course. When I first got my A-level results (August 2015) I got BCC in Econ, Maths and Chem respectively and this year (August 2016) I got A*BB as mentioned above. Now that I'm taking a 2ND GAP YEAR, I am doing work placements at KPMG and PwC to enhance my application plus a part time job. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR THIS COURSE ? PLEASE can someone advise me and what are best things to include in my personal statement for LSE Management ???My other four choices are;UCL - Management ScienceUCL - Statistics and Management for BusinessUCL - Statistics, Economics ans FinanceKCL - Economics and Managementbut LSE Management is my top choice. Please can I have some advice, thanks,
    Why are you applying to some many combined courses? I only applied to degrees in Accounting and Finance / Finance and even though it's only 2 subjects, it's been pretty hard to write a PS.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the comprehensive answer, but the reason I asked is because I've seen that the policy for applications is different from uni to uni. Do you know if LSE is giving immediate offers or waiting until the JAN UCAS deadline to read them all?
    You already sent in your application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathcon)
    You already sent in your application?
    No, but i will next week. I'm just waiting on someone to check my UCAS application profile and make sure I completed it the right way (I'm not from the UK and the education system here is different, so it was quite confusing to fill in the application).

ReputationRep:
    No, but i will next week. I'm just waiting on someone to check my UCAS application profile and make sure I completed it the right way (I'm not from the UK and the education system here is different, so it was quite confusing to complete the application).
    Oh, nice, getting an early head-start. Are you happy with your personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, nice, getting an early head-start. Are you happy with your personal statement?

I'm extremely happy with the finished product,but it took a lot of time and effort.
    I actually started writing my PS in early August, but only some ideas and small sentences, then 2 weeks ago I started developing them into real paragraphs and finished everything last night (yes, it took me 2 weeks because I kept on rephrasing and changing words to make it better).

ReputationRep:
    I'm extremely happy with the finished product,but it took a lot of time and effort.
    I actually started writing my PS in early August, but only some ideas and small sentences, then 2 weeks ago I started developing them into real paragraphs and finished everything last night (yes, it took me 2 weeks because I kept on rephrasing and changing words to make it better).
    Yeah, takes a lot of time. Took me three times before I could send my first draft. Do you have a teacher or someone to look it over? It can be really helpful to get another person's opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, takes a lot of time. Took me three times before I could send my first draft. Do you have a teacher or someone to look it over? It can be really helpful to get another person's opinion.
    Had my english teacher check for spelling mistakes, but other than that no.

ReputationRep:
    How much does LSE care about your personal statement for economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christie_xx)
    How much does LSE care about your personal statement for economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A lot.
    Amazing PS can make up for slightly lower grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    A lot.
    Amazing PS can make up for slightly lower grades.
    What makes a personal statement amazing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What makes a personal statement amazing?
    Relevant work experience, interesting insights/reactions to stuff you've read or witnessed, a solid set of ECs, preferably with some sort of achievement or distinction in them, and a underlying sense you have been orienting your school career to the pursuit of this subject.

A lot of people (including me) tend to think that their PS is better than it is, particularly when they come to appreciate the calibre of the best students out there (read some of the Cambridge Econ personal statements to see what I mean by that).

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm thinking of applying to LSE and my grades are okay. But I'm quite curious about what student life is like there - I think I'd like to meet with loads of people from other subjects and feel I'd be deprived of the opportunity to do so there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Applying to LSE for econ*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmahapatra)
    Applying to LSE for econ*
    You won't necessarily end up making friends with people from the same course as you, but rather from your halls/societies. That leaves a lot of room for interaction with people doing other courses, even though they may not be as different to yours as they would be in a university with more faculties. For example, you might end up being friends with people doing A&F or Finance rather than English Literature or Medicine.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.